Emby 4 Server - Any issues? Should I wait?

JoshFink

JoshFink

I usually try not to be on the bleeding edge anymore of things that my family uses daily. I see that Emby Server is now at 4.0.1. Are there any issues that I should know about before I update Emby Server?

Currently on:

Emby Server 3.5

Kody 17.6 (Google Play store install on nVidia Shield)

Embuary 17.6.8a

Emby for Kodi 4.0.1

Things are working currently but I really don't want to spend the day fixing issues among multiple Kodi installs if I don't have to. 

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Angelblue05

You'll probably want to wait until no one is using your server to update server. 3.5 to 4.0 will take longer as it rebuilds your entire library..

JoshFink

You'll probably want to wait until no one is using your server to update server. 3.5 to 4.0 will take longer as it rebuilds your entire library..

Thanks. I can actually do that sometime today as they're mostly out. My concern really is if upgrading, besides the time it takes to do the upgrade, will cause any playback issues with Kodi or will it require me to go around to each Kodi instance and rebuild those as well. 

Thanks

Angelblue05

Yes you'll need to rebuild all your Kodis because Emby builds your library and changes everything to a new system of ids.

JoshFink

Thanks. I think I’ll hold off for a bit then.

What’s the process that I should follow when I do it? Upgrade the Emby server and then on each Kodi machine do a repair database or is it more involved?

Angelblue05

Update your server. Then reset local database in Kodi and you are good to go. Don't forget you can also just use backup/restore to copy setup between Kodis (as long as it's the same Emby user and same Kodi version of course).

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/create-and-restore-from-backup

Edited by Angelblue05

JoshFink

Update your server. Then reset local database in Kodi and you are good to go. Don't forget you can also just use backup/restore to copy setup between Kodis (as long as it's the same Emby user and same Kodi version of course).

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/create-and-restore-from-backup

Thanks. I appreciate the tip.

SkyBehind

You should setup Docker if you want high availability.  So a normal update takes about 2 seconds, but it was specifically helpful for this update.  I just added another docker instance of Emby running on a different port.  Allowed that server to go through the scan of a library (I had read a fresh scan was better than rebuilding the database for the upgrade to 4.x), then when it was all done, I cut off the old container, and moved the new container to be on port 8096.

I say all that because I have people use my server and in my house, it's the only thing we use, don't even have the ability to watch anything anyway else (use Kodi for everything).

Edited by SkyBehind

JoshFink

Thanks. I’ve thought about moving it to docker in the past however I just don’t want to take the time to do it. Most of the times these kinds of upgrades don’t happen. My big time sync is the individual Kodi’s.

Appreciate the suggestion thought. Thank You

JoshFink

Hi, I've decided to try and tackle this during this weekend. I thought I would test out the backup/restore first to see how it works. One thing I cannot figure out is how to expose the File System that is shown in File Manager to Backup/Restore. I would like to save this to a network location if possible and then just be able to use that network location from the different Shield TV's that are set up to restore. 

Any ideas?

Thanks

JoshFink

Using Leia?

Yes.. Using Leia. Right now it looks like you need to save in the Kodi folder somewhere and the default is the backup script folder. I'd like to use an SMB path I've already mapped in File Manager. 

Angelblue05

So if I understand you correctly, the dialog to select where the backup will go does not display your already mapped smb path?