Fibre Optic Baby....

Heckler

Heckler

hehehehehe... Normally I download between 150-200GB a month (total traffic, not just downloaded stuff)... My highest monthly total was around the 400GB mark when i was replacing some stuff after I accidentally deleted a shit load of stuff and could only recover 70% of it.

I've had fibre for about 30hrs so far... and I went a little nuts... 100GB in 14hrs.   :)

• Like 1

ginjaninja

Would give my right nut for FTTC at home.

Was surprised to learn that in central london zone 1 there are still cabinets without FTTC even though exchange is enabled. Had to order a leased line for work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

iainsheppard

I live in Australia where our Fibre rollout just got canned, I was on the build list for a few months also.  My parents have a 100/20 mbit connection that is un-used.  I have to put up with a 2.1/0.6 mbit connection due to being too far from the ADSL exchange ;(

sucks as my work has 10 Gbit :(

Heckler

@@iainsheppard   An old buddy of mine went out there to work on the fibre project. Bought a house, had another kid out there and his eldest daughter moved out 18 months ago.

Lost touch with him over the last 12 months or so... I wonder if he still has job. He was pretty high up the management structure as he was earning around the 80-90k range here in the UK 10yrs ago.

pmac

In my rural area, the fastest we're able to get is a measly 5 down/1 up Bell ADSL. My distance from the box gets me a whopping 3.42Mbps Down/0.66Mbps Up. Remote streaming is out of the question for me. Since I've never had the opportunity to use anything much faster, I'm okay with it though for download speeds, I normally just let my downloads finish over night. And it certainly beats my old 28.8k modem!

• Like 1

politby

Fiber is da s*t. :) I have 1000/1000 (Mbps) but I am stepping down to 100/100 from next month because I really don't need a pipe that wide and the cost is 4x the 100/100 price. Until we get HBR 4k streaming...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Heckler

A few months on... so update time.  :)

The FO service has been excellent, I am maxed out at 40mbps permanently, so it's obvious they are capping the line speed. I cap my download speeds to 30mbps to avoid swamping my connection. I can download at 30mbps, stream HD video over my wireless, be in a video hangout with half a dozen people using HD quality video and browsing the web... without a hiccup.

Still the same issues with the router itself, I can be 15ft away from the router in the room upstairs, right above the router itself... and get a crappy signal, yet in the same room it's perfect. Router needs to be dual band, gigabit and have guest access and decent dyndns settings available. I am tempted to dump the sky router when funds allow and get a decent one instead that fully supports my needs.

As for the mediaserver itself... cannot fault it one little bit. Well worth the money I spent, even though it ended up upgrading far more than originally planned at twice the cost. If this one serves me as well as the old one for the next 4yrs and beyond, I shall be very happy.

Koleckai Silvestri

Does your router have external antenna? Have one antenne pointing horizontal to the box and the other perpendicular. If you have it wall mounted, have the lower antenna horizontal or inline with the box. Though if you have concrete and rebar in the floor that will inhibit the signal from the floor below.

techywarrior

Something you can't control could be the power (dBa) of the router. It's something that isn't advertised often but there is actually a pretty large disparity between the routers with the strongest signals and those with the weakest.

Since your current router isn't dual channel, and you seemed to want that, it may not be worth it, but you can also try buying a signal repeater (since they tend to be on the much higher end for signal strength) and place that somewhere where you have a weak signal. Even tho the repeater is in the same spot that you had a weak signal before it will actually work fine. And then from that location it will send a strong signal out so your other devices will now have a strong signal to work with.

Swynol

Speed of my work Fibre is 1.4Gbps / 1Gbps - stupidly fast but then again it did cost the best part of £500k for installation (ouch) 

home speeds on BB are 7Mbps/ 400Kbps

Heckler

Does your router have external antenna? Have one antenne pointing horizontal to the box and the other perpendicular. If you have it wall mounted, have the lower antenna horizontal or inline with the box. Though if you have concrete and rebar in the floor that will inhibit the signal from the floor below.

Unfortunately it's all built into one box, so I can't adjust anything. But I have just heard that Sky here in the UK are doing range extenders that you can plug in elsewhere in the house... But it astounds me that such a thing would required in a small 3 bedroom house that has a footprint of about 40-45 square meters and 80-90sq/m in total floorspace

techywarrior

You should be able to use any range extenders, not just the ones they are offering. Like I mentioned before, it could be that they have really shitty gain on their router so the signal isn't very strong to start with. Add to that any rebar or other metal in your house, plus anything else interfering on the 2.4ghz band (microwave ovens, baby monitors, etc.) and it can severely effect the performance of your wireless network.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Unfortunately it's all built into one box, so I can't adjust anything. But I have just heard that Sky here in the UK are doing range extenders that you can plug in elsewhere in the house... But it astounds me that such a thing would required in a small 3 bedroom house that has a footprint of about 40-45 square meters and 80-90sq/m in total floorspace

The radio inside the provided box is most likely not at full power. One of the ways things are labeled "Green" and "Environmentally Friendly".

I don't use my provider's equipment. Less expensive in the long run to provide my own modem and router.

• Like 1

CBers

virgin media cable London http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3639511615

down speed due for upgrade to 152Mb/s in Jan 2015....hoping the up will get an increase as well

The 152Mb upgrade takes a few days to sort itself out for some reason.

It's been fine since mine was upgraded in March.

Wish VM would increase the upload speed though, as 12Mb is slow compared to the d/Language speed.

hoxtonia

To be honest not sure I even need quicker down speed - it's the up I want now....as down speeds increase at some point I hope they start to offer better up......my remote streaming is solid at the moment but would love to be able to up the quality I can offer my family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
ginjaninja

To be honest not sure I even need quicker down speed - it's the up I want now....as down speeds increase at some point I hope they start to offer better up......my remote streaming is solid at the moment but would love to be able to up the quality I can offer my family

What bandwidth do you need per 720p remote stream? our village is being fibre enabled this month...woohoo!

hoxtonia

I don't really think the equation is as simple as that...will depend on whether direct play or transcoding, server CPU etc etc. With the recent improvements to transcoding though the experience for remote users has definitely got better. Who will you provider be once the fibre optic reaches you? With virgin I currently get between 10 and 12 up...I regularly support three extrrnal streams but not sure what quality my remote users are picking to get solid playback...no doubt in time we will be able to allocate bandwidth - well I'm hoping...

Macburp

Well, finaly got BT fibre. BT were ofering a free upgrade with no locked in contract, so it was a no brainer. I get 40mb down and 5MB up, and so I can use the android app and the web client remotely without any hiccups now. I've set the android app to 2MB playback, the quality is prety good.

The BT HomeHub 5 is a pretty poor router - but it does work after a fashion

100 mbit down 40 up Fibre to the home :P

You normally measure transfer speed in Mbps and storage in MB has nothing to do with companies trying to make it look quicker, by that argument it should be a 16 Terrabit HDD also :-)

Hence a Gigabit ethernet connection and a 2 Terrabyte HDD

8 bits in a byte by the way