Can I Request A Folder Type That Is Not Monitored Please?

mbc0

mbc0

Hi,

I have touched on this before and spent a lot of time experimenting with file naming conventions but struggling with inconsistency. I have thousands of video's that are not multi-part videos (Motorsport Events, Home Video's etc)  If I could find a naming convention that would always work then I would be happy but what works one time may not work the next. Although I would like a folder that is not monitored, I would also like to keep the automatic thumbnail that mbs creates and the notification that it now gives.  

Here an example of what I am struggling with

MotoGP 2013 Round 04 France (720p)

MotoGP 2013 Round 05 Italy (720p)

MotoGP 2013 Round 06 Spain (720p)

etc etc are NOT detected as multipart videos but!.......

MotoGP 2014 Round 01 Qatar (720p)

MotoGP 2014 Round 02 USA (720p)

MotoGP 2014 Round 03 Argentina (720p)

ARE detected as multipart videos, just when I think I have found a naming convention that will work I can add 4,5,6 more videos to that folder and then mbs changes it's mind :-(

I have the same for 

Australia Holiday Day 1

Australia Holiday Day 2

Australia Holiday Day 3

etc etc 

one minute mbs is happy they are not multipart and then 

Australia Holiday Day 4

Australia Holiday Day 5

ARE multipart 

Any help on this would be MASSIVELY appreciated :-)

Tolerant

There is or was a setting for how many parts are min/max considered to be a multi part movie in MB2, not sure if that might at all be related to what you are experiencing now though, maybe someone else can shed some light.

• Like 1

FrostByte

You can tell mb to not monitor a folder by placing a ".ignore" file inside

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

You can lock folders against Metadata updates as well. Click on the Pen icon in the dashboard to enter the metadata editor. Select your folder at the left and edit it. Scroll down to metadata and turn off everything to lock it. Save and it won't update in the future.

• Like 1

mbc0

Thank you for the advice guys... I will have a play with that! @Frostbite with the .ignore works like the Android .nomedia I guess? 

With Frostbites & Wayne Luke ideas I would unfortunately lose the screenshot/thumbnail that mbs creates & the notification that a video has been added to my library which is a shame but it is better than not being able to see alot of videos which is my current scenario.. I wish there was an option to point mbs to a folder & tell it there are no multi-part videos in there or something similar 

Thanks for your help guys...

.ignore is not going to do what you want.  That will make the item not appear in your library.

Maybe we could have "Home Videos" ignore the multi-part naming convention...?

• Like 1

Tolerant

.ignore is not going to do what you want.  That will make the item not appear in your library.

Maybe we could have "Home Videos" ignore the multi-part naming convention...?

How about just a setting for the types of movies, on/off to allow/disallow seeing things as multi part?

How about just a setting for the types of movies, on/off to allow/disallow seeing things as multi part?

That is too obscure and would be confusing to someone who doesn't know what a "multi-part" movie is.  I'd rather have the system make intelligent choices and, I think, it is probably reasonable to assume that home videos don't need mult-part support.

• Like 1

mbc0

That is exactly what I am after! I keep all my motorsport/home video's in the folder assigned to "Home Videos" if you could stop mbs automatically making my videos multipart I would be a very happy man :-D

Tolerant

That is too obscure and would be confusing to someone who doesn't know what a "multi-part" movie is.  I'd rather have the system make intelligent choices and, I think, it is probably reasonable to assume that home videos don't need mult-part support.

Sometimes making software too "smart" just ends up making it less flexible and actually "dumber". You very well might end up with some users who have:

Vacation-Trip.part1.mp4

Vacation-Trip.part2.mp4

Vacation-Trip.part3.mp4

and they want to watch a video of their vacation and a third of the way thru they have to start another part of it etc. Instead of just being able to set a simple on/off toggle with simple text explaining what that does like the rest of the options already available in MB3. I ain't saying ya all can't do what ya want, but I suspect a forced choice like this is not going to fit every users needs which is why an option makes more sense to me. Perhaps something in the Advanced tab, "Multi-Part" then toggles for the types of supported files, Movies, Tv, Home Videos, Adult, ..etc. Doesn't seem obscure if it is explained on that tab. Anyways good luck, it's not something I even use just an opinion.

mbc0

Sometimes making software too "smart" just ends up making it less flexible and actually "dumber". You very well might end up with some users who have:

Vacation-Trip.part1.mp4

Vacation-Trip.part2.mp4

Vacation-Trip.part3.mp4

and they want to watch a video of their vacation and a third of the way thru they have to start another part of it etc. Instead of just being able to set a simple on/off toggle with simple text explaining what that does like the rest of the options already available in MB3. I ain't saying ya all can't do what ya want, but I suspect a forced choice like this is not going to fit every users needs which is why an option makes more sense to me. Perhaps something in the Advanced tab, "Multi-Part" then toggles for the types of supported files, Movies, Tv, Home Videos, Adult, ..etc. Doesn't seem obscure if it is explained on that tab. Anyways good luck, it's not something I even use just an opinion.

Everyones different which is why there is not one solution that fit's all but I would expect most people would be happy not to have multi-part videos in their home video folder...

Tolerant

Everyones different which is why there is not one solution that fit's all

That's the only reason I suggest it as an option, thanks for pointing that out.

Yes but "dumber" also = simpler - which sometimes is much more important.

80% of users only use about 10% of the options implemented in software and most don't even know about the other 90% that are available.  Therefore, we strive to make the default operation of the program work for those 80% of people instead of making them go find an option - because most of them won't even look - or ask.

mbc0

Hi,

Will anything happen with this thread or can a temporary solution be suggested for me please as I just need something that will work consistently with regard to post #1

Many Thanks in advance :-)

Edited by mbc0

mbc0

Hi Luke,

really hard to expand on what I said in post #1 but I will try :-)

basically, 

I have thousands of home videos/motorsport videos that are being detected as multi-part videos but not consistantly... obviously for these catagories I would never want anything to be detected as a multi-part video

I am looking for either having a media folder that will never detect a multi-part video or a naming convention that will never be detected as a multi-part video

For example 

MotoGP 2013 Round 04 France (720p)

MotoGP 2013 Round 05 Italy (720p)

MotoGP 2013 Round 06 Spain (720p)

etc etc are NOT detected as multipart videos and I can select whichever video I would like to watch but!.......

MotoGP 2014 Round 01 Qatar (720p)

MotoGP 2014 Round 02 USA (720p)

MotoGP 2014 Round 03 Argentina (720p)

ARE detected as multipart videos, just when I think I have found a naming convention that will work I can add 4,5,6 more videos to that folder and then mbs changes it's mind :-(

I have the same for 

Australia Holiday Day 1

Australia Holiday Day 2

Australia Holiday Day 3

etc etc 

one minute mbs is happy they are not multipart and then 

Australia Holiday Day 4

Australia Holiday Day 5

ARE multipart 

I hope this helps to make it clear?

Many Thanks

mbc0

Hi,

I am having most success with using a music video folder (although it is creating an annoying xml file for every video) but will need to test over a week or so as before my problems are intermittent 

One thing I have found though is I am always finding the same video files are not generating a thumbnail? the video's play perfectly but I get this error in the log... any ideas?

2014-05-08 02:18:16.3758 Error - ProviderManager: MovieDbImageProvider failed in GetImageInfos for type Movie
2014-05-08 02:18:33.2095 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 03 Jerez (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.2095 Error - MediaEncoder: I-frame image extraction failed, will attempt standard way. Input: file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 03 Jerez (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.4845 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 01 Quatar (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.4845 Error - MediaEncoder: I-frame image extraction failed, will attempt standard way. Input: file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 01 Quatar (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.8935 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 03 Jerez (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.8935 Error - App: Error in Screen Grabber
2014-05-08 02:18:34.1805 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 01 Quatar (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:34.1805 Error - App: Error in Screen Grabber
Edited by mbc0

mbc0

Hi,

I am having most success with using a music video folder (although it is creating an annoying xml file for every video) but will need to test over a week or so as before my problems are intermittent 

One thing I have found though is I am always finding the same video files are not generating a thumbnail? the video's play perfectly but I get this error in the log... any ideas?

2014-05-08 02:18:16.3758 Error - ProviderManager: MovieDbImageProvider failed in GetImageInfos for type Movie
2014-05-08 02:18:33.2095 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 03 Jerez (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.2095 Error - MediaEncoder: I-frame image extraction failed, will attempt standard way. Input: file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 03 Jerez (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.4845 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 01 Quatar (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.4845 Error - MediaEncoder: I-frame image extraction failed, will attempt standard way. Input: file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 01 Quatar (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.8935 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 03 Jerez (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:33.8935 Error - App: Error in Screen Grabber
2014-05-08 02:18:34.1805 Error - MediaEncoder: ffmpeg image extraction failed for file:"\\HPSERVER\DrivePool - Videos\Videos\Sport\Motorsport\MotoGP\2013\MotoGP 2013 Round 01 Quatar (720p).mkv"
2014-05-08 02:18:34.1805 Error - App: Error in Screen Grabber

Sorry, forget about the chapter extraction problem, I shouldn't have asked as it a completely seperate problem and shouldn't be in this thread