Dashboard/Home Screen Merge Libraries

CaseyP

Apologies if this has been addressed, I searched and didn't find the topic mentioned before.

Has the option to merge same content libraries on individual users homescreens been removed?

For instance, one library we have is simply labeled, "Movies" and due to user preference, a separate library with its own content, "Christmas Movies" also exist. Previously (before 4.0 maybe?) a user could click on their profile, navigate to Home Screen and choose to have both libraries merged to see just a single "Movie" library which would contain movies from both "Movies" and "Christmas Movies". While another user may want to see both. It appears (at least on my system) that the ability to merge similar content libraries is no longer available. Is this the case? Or is my server acting up?  Maybe the option was moved to a new location?

Currently the only solution I have is to remove the ability for a user to see a particular library. Since the "Christmas movies" currently can't be merged with the regular, to remove it from the homescreen I have to remove access for that user to that library.

Any insight would be great, thanks!

Ok, read through it. Basically the way I was using merged libraries is no longer viable with the new folder based access control. 

Merging libraries wasn't so much about who had access as it was about how that user liked their media organized. Bummer. I suppose the older method is never going to return huh?  

EDIT: So the only solution now is to take the "christmas movies" library, merge it to the movies, then change each movie's genre to "christmas", since the Fire TV emby app doesn't have any filters besides Genre... any idea when the Emby apps will be updated with the new filters? 

Edited by CaseyP

I suppose the older method is never going to return huh?  

It will, but in the form of smart views/playlists based on filters or other criteria. We're not going to have a dedicated feature for this type of thing.

any idea when the Emby apps will be updated with the new filters? 

What filters are you looking for?

What filters are you looking for?

Specifically, on the webapp, the "Missing Epsiodes" filter would be greatly appreciated when it comes back. On the Android app (Fire TV) the only filters available are "Favorites" "Unwatched/Watched" and "Genre" .. the filters present on the webapp, like studio, or year, are not available. 

So as a different example, we also had a "Hallmark Movies" library. Prior to 4.0, when a user goes to look at the overall movie library, the 400+ Hallmark movies would be filtered out. If they wanted to see a Hallmark movie, they would go to that library. Basically, we used merged libraries because the apps didnt have the filters we would want. In this case, filtering by studio on the Android App would solve the problem. Instead, I now have to turn off the user access to that library, until they specifically ask for me to turn it back on for them.

mrkillit

Hi, is this why the top menu has been reduced to "Home" and "Favorites" in the web UI? I wasn't using any merged libraries but I did enjoy having "movies" in the top menu. Also, I liked that the page it brought you to showed the number of items at the top. I can certainly create a library containing all folders that any movie library contains but this seems like extra work as I have content spread across multiple folders on multiple drives. Being able to create a new library or filter out of existing libraries would be a lot less work.

Out of curiosity, does each library need to scan all of its folders even if those folders are included in another library or is the scanning engine smart enough to scan each folder only once and then adjust the content/metadata info for each library?

I'll try building some new libraries out of the existing folders, but the item count doesn't show up nor is there a page count anymore which I enjoyed having. Not a huge deal, but it was nice to be able to easily see how many titles I had in my collection. I don't currently have a need for very fine grained permissions but it's nice to know I can get that granular if needed.

If there is a way to edit the top menu or add the item/page counts to a library navigation that would be useful, at least for me.

Thanks

mrkillit

Hmmm.Before I updated I had several menu items, one of which was "Movies". Maybe it was a plugin that added the extra items. I'll see if any of my plugins need updating.

Thanks

Hmmm.Before I updated I had several menu items, one of which was "Movies". Maybe it was a plugin that added the extra items. I'll see if any of my plugins need updating.

Thanks

Yes many of them probably do. I would suggest checking out the release announcement:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-447-announcing-emby-server-40/

Please let us know if this helps. thanks !

mrkillit

Yes, it looks like there is no way to edit the top menu from the home screen settings, unless I completely missed it (very possible :)), but I did re-check and still can't find a way to edit the top menu.

Ok, read through it. Basically the way I was using merged libraries is no longer viable with the new folder based access control. 

Merging libraries wasn't so much about who had access as it was about how that user liked their media organized. Bummer. I suppose the older method is never going to return huh?  

EDIT: So the only solution now is to take the "christmas movies" library, merge it to the movies, then change each movie's genre to "christmas", since the Fire TV emby app doesn't have any filters besides Genre... any idea when the Emby apps will be updated with the new filters? 

I think you found one of the downsides to the new folder based access control.

Just to make sure I understand correctly.  You have something like:

C:\Movies

C:\Christmas

These were previously setup as two different libraries.

You may want to see only one "master" library as Movies that includes Christmas.

Your wife may want to see 2 different libraries.

Is that correct?

I have this exact situation but also have Valentine, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc movie libraries as well.

If you don't mind a slight work around I can tell you how to achieve this.