Emby server 4.0 - duplicate and missing entries

blublub

blublub

Hi

Since I had issues with my 3.5 server I setup a new fresh install on a different PC with Emby 4.0.

After I did set it all up I checked the metadata and that's when I noticed that in the metadata manager all movies were in subentries like this:

• 13th floor
    • 13th floor

When I click on the entries the 1st entry only shows the file path with folder and the subentrie the actual file - like this:

\\servername\video\movies\13thfloor

\\servername\video\movies\13thfloor\13thfloor.mkv

On the contrary  under "TV series" I have missing entries of the episodes in the metadata web GUI - so there are no subentries for the episodes, the navigation ends at series level

I already cleared the cache and changed browsers - any ideas here?

Hi, the top entry is the folder, and the lower entry is the movie within the folder. Does this answer your question?

blublub

Hi, the top entry is the folder, and the lower entry is the movie within the folder. Does this answer your question?

Ha ;-)  -  no, I guessed that. But on my other Emby server it does not show the folder as an entry, just the file/movie name - so new layout kinda confused me.

jmos1277

I noticed this nesting behavior as well.  For me, the Metadata Manager exhibits this behavior for my "Movies" library.  However, it doesn't do it for a "UFC" library that I've created.  My UFC library is "Mixed Content" my Movies library is "Movie" content.

Luke, was this a conscious choice to make this change?  Or is it simply a side effect of other architectural changes? 

Any idea why some of my libraries exhibit this nesting behavior while others don't?  Is it just Movies vs. Mixed?

One last question ... are there now two entries in the database for each movie? One for the folder and one for the actual movie file? I ask because it seems like I can edit the metadata of the folder and the metadata of the movie file separately.  Both sets of metadata seem to be retained.  This could end up being a confusing design decision.  Especially since the metadata for the movie file is stored on disk ... and it seems that the metadata for the folder is stored in the DB only.  I see people inadvertently losing metadata in the future!!

Edited by jmos1277

Right, one is the folder, the other is the media inside the folder. This allows the folder based views to be a true representation of your folders.

jmos1277

Right, one is the folder, the other is the media inside the folder. This allows the folder based views to be a true representation of your folders.

Any comment on the possibility of users confusing the folder with the file and assigning metadata to the folder? 

It seems less user-friendly. 

I've added type icons to the metadata manager for the next release. folders, audio files and video files will all have distinguishing icons next to them.

You can try it now using the online web app. http://app.emby.media

Thanks.