Music Library issues since upgrade (unrelated to emby)

macbean

I don't know for sure if this started with the 4.0.0.2 or 4.0.1.0 upgrade since i only noticed after the latter.

It doesn't appear that Emby is properly reading or assigning metadata as it applies to artist/album artist.

Heroes and Who's afraid fo the art of noise (shown below) are examples of my issue:

5c4c02384ff5f_view1.jpg

Also here is another sample showing how many albums it shows for an incorrect artist.

5c4c02520f6d3_view2.jpg

All my files are tagged properly, and other applications show what I would expect. I removed the library and readded it but it came up the same way afterwards.

Edited by macbean

A.R.Rahman is not the album artist for either Heroes or Who's afraid of the Art of Noise?

Nor is he the album artist for any of those listed under his name.  

do you mean upload one of the files?  

my structure for the album in the image above is:

N:\music\Daft Punk\Random Access Memories

Deathsquirrel

I can't download your file but I pretty much guarantee that if you pop it into MP3tag you'll find your mystery artist in an extended tag with a very similar name like AlbumArtist.  I've run into that many times when I first ran all my music through Picard.

Deathsquirrel

I use Musicbraniz picard to tag all my files.  Other applications (and Emby pre 4.x)  don't seem to have this issue.

That was the source of my issues.  Right click the track and select extended tags.  That will show you if you have a tag that doesn't display in the main MP3tag UI but which is the source of this.  I did in every instance.  I chose to delete all those extended tags across my collection as I wasn't using them.

I guess I'm not understanding.  Why is this suddenly an issue?  Did something change with how emby looks at the tagging?  this wasn't an issue before 4.x and a great number of my albums, also tagged with musicbrainz, are showing up fine. 

and how are you removing only the 'extended' tags?  

Deathsquirrel

and how are you removing only the 'extended' tags?  

Have you checked the extended tags?  Does the data in question come from there?  If so, what's the name of the tag?

To delete them just select the desired tags and click the red X icon.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Happy2Play

To me it looks like a Artist linking issue.

What do you see for Artist Daft Punk?

Can you post the ffprobe output of one of the tracks, as the attached track is not accessible or zip and attach another track using More Reply Options and attach the file.

Command prompt

cd to Emby system folder path

ffprobe -i "Enter the full path for the track"

more reply options is how I attached the file above.  

I don't seem to have ffprobe installed.

I think i found the source of the issue (it does appear to be related to extended tags) but I don't understand why this happened.  

Basically, when I drop an album into music brainz picard, it comes up as [non-album tracks].  i can manually pick the album and it will retag the file fine.  

I don't know when this happened, but I just a few weeks ago installed winamp and it picked up everything as expected.  I installed a test instance of kodi and it is showing the same behaviour as emby.

So now i know that it isn't an display issue, it is that something has screwed up my file tagging.  my concern here is that the only media related application that i've installed (or upgraded) has been emby.

I can't download your file but I pretty much guarantee that if you pop it into MP3tag you'll find your mystery artist in an extended tag with a very similar name like AlbumArtist.  I've run into that many times when I first ran all my music through Picard.

@@macbean, did you try this? This is the most likely explanation. Please let us know how you get on. Thanks !

it is that something has screwed up my file tagging. 

Emby does not have any kind of embedded tag editing at this stage.

@@macbean, did you try this? This is the most likely explanation. Please let us know how you get on. Thanks !

Yeah, I downloaded an mp3 tool, the name of which I don't recall (and I'm not currently at home to see) and had it strip out everything aside from the primary mp3 tags. After that, I did another library scan/metadata refresh and it looks like everything is good. None of that data was wrong but it seemed to either confuse things or was corrupted.

I'm still not sure what happened to thst my library was affected recently like this this but I think the upgrade just showed me I had an issue, it didn't cause it.