Can anyone recommend a non-Shield, non-Fire Android box?

gene0915

gene0915

I have Apple TV4's that work perfectly but can not stand the freaking ads on YouTube. Looking for an Android TV box so I can load something like YouTube Vanced APK and eliminate YouTube ads. I've had an Nvidia Shield a while back and hated it with a passion. The remote ate batteries for lunch and I had non-stop crashing problems with it. Hate the Fire devices as well.

Requirements:

Android OS (duh) but a box with a good track record of keeping pace with Android OS updates

Remote control must have a mic so I can talk into it when searching YouTube......well, YouTube Vanced :)

Can hook my Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones to it for private listening

Must handle 1080p content PERFECTLY (will be playing back media from Emby server).... up to 35Mbps bitrate on the high end. If it can direct play nearly everything, awesome!

Pass-through of DTS, DD, etc. (basically, all the audio formats)

Superb 802.11AC performance since it will be hooked up via wireless

Thanks

TylerV76

I have Apple TV4's that work perfectly but can not stand the freaking ads on YouTube. Looking for an Android TV box so I can load something like YouTube Vanced APK and eliminate YouTube ads. I've had an Nvidia Shield a while back and hated it with a passion. The remote ate batteries for lunch and I had non-stop crashing problems with it. Hate the Fire devices as well.

Requirements:

Android OS (duh) but a box with a good track record of keeping pace with Android OS updates

Remote control must have a mic so I can talk into it when searching YouTube......well, YouTube Vanced :)

Can hook my Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones to it for private listening

Must handle 1080p content PERFECTLY (will be playing back media from Emby server).... up to 35Mbps bitrate on the high end. If it can direct play nearly everything, awesome!

Pass-through of DTS, DD, etc. (basically, all the audio formats)

Superb 802.11AC performance since it will be hooked up via wireless

Thanks

Take a look at the Mi Box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both Shield and MiBox, the Shield is worth the extra tbh, handles absolutely everything you could ask it to. I use a Harmony remote with mine

Edited by colfin22

To answer your specific question - the only official alternative would be the Mi.

However, doesn't YouTube Red provide you ad-free playback?

Q-Droid

Another vote for Xiaomi Mi Box but keep in mind it doesn't have Amazon Prime Video app. There's another Android TV box out there called Jetstream 4k with similar specs and price of the Mi Box but of iffy provenance. Everything else is the typical generic Android hobbyist boxes.

clarkss12

The Jetstream 4k, does NOT passthrough the HD audio codecs, or automatic frame rate switching, otherwise it is a basic player. 

Been awhile since I have used my Xiaomi Mi box on my main system with my AVR, but it is my understanding that the NEW MI boxes do NOT passthrough the HD audio codecs. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083

Any of the budget Android boxes, running LibreELEC or CoreELEC will play everything you throw at it, including HD audio, AND automatic frame rate switching.  The Amlogic S905x boxes WILL play YouTube in 1080p, but NO searching with a MIC.........

That only leaves the Shield that does everything that you require.

• Like 1

gene0915

I have both Shield and MiBox, the Shield is worth the extra tbh, handles absolutely everything you could ask it to. I use a Harmony remote with mine

I had the Shield before and I swear, that thing couldn't go more than a day without me needing to reboot it to fix app launching flakiness and on a full charge, the slim remote wouldn't make it but a week. Hated it!

gene0915

To answer your specific question - the only official alternative would be the Mi.

However, doesn't YouTube Red provide you ad-free playback?

Yeah, I think I'm going to give the Mi box a shot, thanks!

As for YouTube Red, I'll pass. If it was $2/mo, I'd sign up instantly! I don't watch enough YT to justify $12/mo. I support the few channels I like on there via Patreon.

I had the Shield before and I swear, that thing couldn't go more than a day without me needing to reboot it to fix app launching flakiness and on a full charge, the slim remote wouldn't make it but a week. Hated it!

That is not the norm. You must have got a faulty box or needed a factory reset because the Shield is up there on its own as the best box available. Nothing comes close.

You're actually the first person I've ever came across that wasn't happy with it. Did you contact Nvidia support?

Edited by colfin22

gene0915

Another vote for Xiaomi Mi Box but keep in mind it doesn't have Amazon Prime Video app. There's another Android TV box out there called Jetstream 4k with similar specs and price of the Mi Box but of iffy provenance. Everything else is the typical generic Android hobbyist boxes.

The only thing I'll be using this box for is Emby and YouTube Vanced so a lack of an Amazon Prime app isn't a detractor.

gene0915

The Jetstream 4k, does NOT passthrough the HD audio codecs, or automatic frame rate switching, otherwise it is a basic player. 

Been awhile since I have used my Xiaomi Mi box on my main system with my AVR, but it is my understanding that the NEW MI boxes do NOT passthrough the HD audio codecs. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=275083

Any of the budget Android boxes, running LibreELEC or CoreELEC will play everything you throw at it, including HD audio, AND automatic frame rate switching.  The Amlogic S905x boxes WILL play YouTube in 1080p, but NO searching with a MIC.........

That only leaves the Shield that does everything that you require.

Read through the Kodi link about the Mi box problems..... that stinks! Maybe I'll keep an eye on updates and see if they address the problems in the near future.

gene0915

That is not the norm. You must have got a faulty box or needed a factory reset because the Shield is up there on its own as the best box available. Nothing comes close.

You're actually the first person I've ever came across that wasn't happy with it. Did you contact Nvidia support?

I agree that MAYBE I got a lemon but the rechargeable battery in the 2015 remote wouldn't make it a week before it needed charged up again. I didn't play games with it or mess with the buttons non-stop so I couldn't understand what was sapping the battery and this was with lite usage. I hear the newer remotes with those coin batteries suck just as bad.

I agree that MAYBE I got a lemon but the rechargeable battery in the 2015 remote wouldn't make it a week before it needed charged up again. I didn't play games with it or mess with the buttons non-stop so I couldn't understand what was sapping the battery and this was with lite usage. I hear the newer remotes with those coin batteries suck just as bad.

I only use the Shield game controllers. I have a Harmony remote and hub that connects using Bluetooth.

Note this is another thing that doesn't work well on the Mibox. Xiaomi don't open up the Bluetooth control of the box to allow the Harmony have full control, I have play/pause but cannot power on the box with the Harmony

Edited by colfin22

CBers

Wait until @ sees this thread :)

FWIW, I have 3 Shields (2x 2015 & 1x 2017) and wouldn't swap them for anything.

The 2015 model remote lasts a good week without charge for me, with the 2017 remote needing new batteries every few months.

Other than that, they play everything I play on them, apart from cropped HDR content, which is a bug waiting to be fixed and if you don't have any of that content, then no issue.

Never had any crashes, or lock-ups.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I have two shields and a mibox. For me the mibox is great for the price although a shield is a good price these days too. I use my mi box as my travel device as it can be powered by a usb

• Like 1

TylerV76

That is definitely not the norm. The one in my bedroom has been on/standby for months and has never needed a reboot except during an update. The one in my living room did hang on me once but I found out it was an airplay app I was using that caused major issues. Since removing that its been rock solid. 

The only complaint I have about the shield is the power supply. The coil whine irritates me but fortunately I can only hear it when I get behind my power conditioner to make adjustments with wires or something. 

As for the remote, I use harmony hubs because I don't like slim remotes. 

Edited by TylerV76

mastrmind11

Agree with everyone.  I have 3 shields and a mibox and have never had any issue, including the battery issue you reference.  My only complaint w/ the mibox is CEC power on/off is broken, which is a real pain.  It's not my daily driver but still annoys me.

Q-Droid

Agree with everyone.  I have 3 shields and a mibox and have never had any issue, including the battery issue you reference.  My only complaint w/ the mibox is CEC power on/off is broken, which is a real pain.  It's not my daily driver but still annoys me.

Yeah, my 2017 Shield has been solid with a Harmony Hub and basic Smart Control remote.

Mi Box is flaky with CEC for me too. I can turn on the TV by waking the Mi and sleep the Mi by turning off the TV but control doesn't work the other way around.