auto boxsets and file playback issues

mark235

Since the server v4.0 update, 2 problems started:

1. A number of MKV files will no longer play on my Shield TV through the Emby app. The green circle keeps spinning indefinitely when starting the movie. Using an external player like VLC will play them without issue. Shield log was sent at 0:40 local time. Emby user: Mark. File: Gone Baby Gone. Server logs are attached below. 

2. Auto boxsets plugin no longer works. The library collections stil exist, but movies are no longer displayed in them. I've rebooted my HP Microserver and reinstalled the auto boxsets plugin, but no joy.

ffmpeg-transcode-b4d49524-4b45-4514-a167-117472de97c7_1.txt

embyserver.txt

I don't see an option on the movie details screen to do this? Emby Theater has audio and subtitle options that can be set before playback playback starts, but as far as I can see the Shield doesn't have those?

Or are you referring to the users subtitle preferences, and setting that to disabled instead of always on?

Edited by mark235

For the subtitles, you would have to change your preferences to Never on the server to test or use the beta of the app which has the ability to select pre-playback.

The collection issue is covered in the announcement for the new server version - this has moved to a display-side option so it needs to be selected in the grid settings in the app.  I believe this setting is also in the beta which will be getting released very soon.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Regarding the playback issue, can you try turning off the subtitles prior to playback? thanks.

Thanks, the issue is gone when subtitles are disabled from user preferences. Does this mean the subtitles used with this movie aren't supported? Or does it try to transcode and fail?

For the subtitles, you would have to change your preferences to Never on the server to test or use the beta of the app which has the ability to select pre-playback.

The collection issue is covered in the announcement for the new server version - this has moved to a display-side option so it needs to be selected in the grid settings in the app.  I believe this setting is also in the beta which will be getting released very soon.

Thanks.

Collections now work again, thanks. I'll make sure to read to release notes more carefully next time after a big server upgrade.

I gave the Android TV beta app a go, and boy, that's a big improvement  :)  :) . Very nice how the side panel on the opening screen (after selecting the Emby user) is now an optional setting. The new movie backdrops look very nice. I also like the increased space between items inside collections. Makes everything less cluttered. 

One thing I couldn't find is an option to select audio streams and subtitles on the movie details screen. App version is 1.6.79g. Do I need to enable a setting somewhere first?

Without subtitles, the movie plays but is remuxed. Why does that happen? The logs say this is because the maxbitrate is exceeded, but the Shield can directplay other MKV's with higher bitrates in my collection without problems. 

So actually it was a direct play error. The app tried to direct play the file, but the video player had a problem with it. We automatically switched to remuxing to keep video playing. Does this answer your question? Thanks.

Not completely, I'm trying to understand why remuxing is necessary with this file, and why it won't direct play. The file seems similar to other mkv's in my library that do direct play correctly.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Remuxing is necessary because the video player had a problem trying to direct play this file. Does that help?

@@ebr might be able to provide more insight if you submit an in-app log. thanks.

I've replayed the file, and submitted a log from the Shield. File: Gone Baby Gone. User: Mark. Time submitted: 22:23 local time.

Thanks again Luke and Ebr for the swift responses, its one of the things that makes this forum great.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

One thing I couldn't find is an option to select audio streams and subtitles on the movie details screen. App version is 1.6.79g. Do I need to enable a setting somewhere first?

Hi.  Yes, there is an option for this in the Playback Settings.

Okay, this is an odd encoding error that we've seen only a few times.  Basically, the way this item is encoded is not supported.

01-26 22:22:38.233  5459 10708 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error.
01-26 22:22:38.233  5459 10708 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Lacing only supported in SimpleBlocks.

Hi.  Yes, there is an option for this in the Playback Settings.

Geesh, how did I miss that. Thanks.

Okay, this is an odd encoding error that we've seen only a few times.  Basically, the way this item is encoded is not supported.

01-26 22:22:38.233  5459 10708 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: Source error.
01-26 22:22:38.233  5459 10708 E ExoPlayerImplInternal: com.google.android.exoplayer2.ParserException: Lacing only supported in SimpleBlocks.

Looks like this is a known issue in Exoplayer: https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/3026

It's treated as low priority, because of the low number of reports. I'll go and make some noise in that thread. If others also join in, it might help to up the priority :-)

Looks like this is a known issue in Exoplayer: https://github.com/google/ExoPlayer/issues/3026

It's treated as low priority, because of the low number of reports. I'll go and make some noise in that thread. If others also join in, it might help to up the priority :-)

I'd call it a known limitation at this point as Google has not really expressed much interest in addressing it :).  See what you can do though.

I listed the 5 emby and 3 plex reports that I found online in the Exoplayer thread, but the answer from Google was still that they won't do much with it. They'll accept a pull request that adds support, but since I'm no coder I can't help there. 

Edited by mark235