Odd TV Aspect Ratio

bigjme

Hi All,

Sorry to open another post but i'm trying to track this all down. So now i have everything "working" in EMBY i have a bit of an oddity, my one TV is showing all the channels at what seems to be a 4:3 ratio...

So my OTA tv signal comes into EMBY via a TVHeadend m3u file. TV guide is all working and everything seems fine

If i play the m3u file from VLC player on my computer everything is fine and normal 16:9

If i play the live tv via EMBY using the web ui on my pc or phone, again all is fine - i even tried over a vpn on 4g to see if it was network speed

If i play it via my FireTV stick on a monitor, again all is fine

But if i play it on my Samsung UA49NU7100KXXS TV using the EMBY app all the channels show in this odd resolution

When i first set up emby on this TV yesterday it was fine for around 2 hours. We then went out for an hour and came back to this odd behaviour and nothing changed inbetween

We also found that sometimes you can load a channel and it will have no audio, but if you click on the audio option and just re-click the Stereo option the sound will start working again... Again this only seems to happen on this TV

I'm not entirely sure where i should be looking as the fault of this if i'm honest, nor what files may help so attached is a few of the ffmpeg logs and a chunk of my main emby log from around the time of 1 stream

Regards,

Jamie

emby.txt

ffmpeg.txt

ffmpeg2.txt

ffmpeg3.txt

It is curious that you mention that it was working fine, then some time later it became a problem.

Can you please confirm the app and server version?  Thanks

Hi SamEs

The TV is running emby theater 1.0.45 and the server is 4.0.1.0

I did try re-installing emby on the TV in case it screwed up but its the same after a re-install

Regards,
Jamie

Edit

As a follow up, i have just tested this on a LG 49UJ630V using the latest emby app on that tv (i didn't get the version) and the image size was also 16:9 and correct

Edited by bigjme

OK so this morning I put on TV via the fire tv stick and noticed something that might help

When the channel came on it wasn't full screen, it looks fine but it's not full screen

The TV shows as being transcoded with a resolution of 720x576 which is obviously not 16:9, it's also not 4:3

I then closed the channel and reopened it and it showed as full screen on my 1080p screen

So I'm wondering if it's an odd issue of it pulling up the resolution? I'd be happy with it stretching the video to fit the screen

Regards,
Jamie

Edit

OK so another channel this time, it shows a resolution of 544x576, again an odd resolution but it stretched to the full screen on my firetv stick and looked fine

So I'm not sure what it is but maybe this will help

Edited by bigjme

Thanks for the additional information.  In the Samsung player we set the aspect ratio manually, so my initial suspicion is that the aspect ratio is being reported incorrectly but I don't really see any evidence of this in the logs.

At this stage I don't have any ideas.  Could you please commence playback on the Samsung, then while it is playing send me any one of the .ts files from /config/transcoding-temp.  Just check the date/time on the file to confirm it is from the current session.  Please also send me the ffmpeg log for the same session.

Thanks

Attached are 2 of the .ts files (in a zip as the format is not allowed), the ffmpeg log and some pictures of how it looks on the tv with different channels

I have a thought that perhaps the transcode folder on the main drive was getting full with so many transcodes so i've given the transcodes folder a 20gb partition on an ssd to write to directly but this acts the exact same

The video play back in general seems much slower on the samsung than on the firetv stick in case that helps

For example, watching ITV this morning was fine on the LG tv and loaded in 1 or 2 seconds with no stuttering or delays

On the samsung it took around 10 seconds to load and would periodically stutter - annoyingly i can't replicate this right now

Regards,

Jamie

ffmpeg.txt

post-35886-0-81578000-1548604353_thumb.jpg

post-35886-0-24901100-1548604368_thumb.jpg

post-35886-0-69325200-1548604374_thumb.jpg

TS Files.zip

@@Luke, can you please look at the ffmpeg log in the post above?  Is there a reason why the mediainfo is missing the container type and codec type and detail for the video and audio stream?  Is this normal for a TVHeadend m3u file?

This is failing as videoStream.AspectRatio is not set, so the ratio is not being set.  I can update this logic to force 16:9 if there is no aspect ratio but I didn't think that was even a possible outcome.

It looks like it's transcoding as there is no container info (TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported).  Is there actually a problem with this TVHeadend m3u file?

{"Protocol":"Http","Id":"ac229c6174a09454d817c68373a2c141","Path":"http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/203f48bf7ac14ceba06dfa17698241b0/stream.ts","Type":"Default","IsRemote":false,"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,"DiscardCorruptPts":true,"FillWallClockDts":true,"IgnoreDts":false,"IgnoreIndex":false,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":true,"IsInfiniteStream":true,"RequiresOpening":true,"RequiresClosing":true,"LiveStreamId":"06044cf0e6f93cdae5f285c9ecfaaeb4_01413a525b3a9622ce6fdf19f7dde354_ac229c6174a09454d817c68373a2c141","RequiresLooping":false,"SupportsProbing":true,"MediaStreams":[{"VideoRange":"SDR","DisplayTitle":"","IsInterlaced":true,"BitRate":20000000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Video","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false},{"DisplayTitle":"","IsInterlaced":false,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false}],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":20000000,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{"User-Agent":"VLC/3.0.1"},"AnalyzeDurationMs":3000}
Edited by SamES

Could those issues be causing the unusual audio track issue I'm having as well on that TV?

So in general any channel loads what seems to be an audio descriptive version at first rather than the normal stereo audio, clicking audio then stereo puts the audio back to normal

And I also get stutters on it sometimes but I'm wondering if it's a weird thing caused by the resolution as it goes from one ts file to the next?

Could those issues be causing the unusual audio track issue I'm having as well on that TV?

So in general any channel loads what seems to be an audio descriptive version at first rather than the normal stereo audio, clicking audio then stereo puts the audio back to normal

And I also get stutters on it sometimes but I'm wondering if it's a weird thing caused by the resolution as it goes from one ts file to the next?

Yes, it possibly would cause the audio track issues.  The server provides the preferred audio track, but if it doesn't see one then none are selected on playback.  Again, this wasn't an expected scenario.

Ahh OK, well I'm happy to test anything you need. Part of me would like to say I'm glad I found the issue but not at the same time

Yes, it possibly would cause the audio track issues.  The server provides the preferred audio track, but if it doesn't see one then none are selected on playback.  Again, this wasn't an expected scenario.

Why don't you set the initial value of the aspect ratio to 16:9 and also set the default audio track to #1.

Then only update them when the information is present.

I would think this would help a lot in these situations.

• Like 1

Why don't you set the initial value of the aspect ratio to 16:9 and also set the default audio track to #1.

Then only update them when the information is present.

I would think this would help a lot in these situations.

Yes, that's the plan, although we've never seen this before.

Would this be a server side change or an app change? I'm just wondering which part is missing the data, I'd presume a server side thing? Agreed that this is a little odd of a situation

Edited by bigjme

Would this be a server side change or an app change? I'm just wondering which part is missing the data, I'd presume a server side thing? Agreed that this is a little odd of a situation

I would fix this client/app side.  

We normally default to 16:9 if the video parameters are invalid, but in this case they are completely missing so the logic needs to change to catch this scenario. Same for the audio.

I will take my best guess at it but won't be able to test this as the m3u file is a bit unique.

@@Luke, is there anyway I can replicate this or get/construct a sample?  It is TVHeadend m3u file

Sounds like it will be difficult to replicate.

I can update this logic to force 16:9 if there is no aspect ratio but I didn't think that was even a possible outcome.

This probably makes sense.

If you need me to submit new/more tvheadend m3u files I can submit more but I'm guessing it's the actual playing of the media that you need?

If you need me to submit new/more tvheadend m3u files I can submit more but I'm guessing it's the actual playing of the media that you need?

Happy for you to PM me some files and I’ll have a look to see if I can do anything useful with them

Please try the next release.  I think the aspect ratio will be fine.  I've added something for the audio but can't be certain if it will help.

Please let me know how you go.

Is it the server release I'm looking for, app, or both?

I didn't get chance to grab logs yesterday but will keep an eye on things today and send logs after I'm sure I'm on the newer versions

So while I'm waiting on this I am periodically testing the live TV on the Samsung and I have found out why it was working initially then stopped

When I first tried emby on the TV I loaded a few HD channels which worked fine but due to wireless issues on the TVH device I stopped loading them and was using standard for all extra tests

I've fixed the wireless issues now and tried a few HD channels on the Samsung, low and behold the TV worked perfectly

Switching to a standard def channel however did not work still and was at the smaller size

I have no idea if that is useful but at least I now know why it just stopped working after a few hours, it likely never worked on standard def and only on HD TV channels

Edited by bigjme