First question

parrotheadcubs

parrotheadcubs

Great service first of all. This may be dumb but am I able to access my content when I'm not connected to my network? Like will the iOS apps work if I'm away from home? Or do I access that through the web like I setup on the xbox one through internet explorer. Thanks.

swhitmore

Hey, welcome to the community! 

You can definetly access everything outside of your home network. Have a look at this knowledge base article. Hopefully it contains everything you need. If you get stuck, let me know.

Edited by swhitmore

parrotheadcubs

Well I am putting in the address correctly.  The right IP address and Port number and it's coming up as problem loading the page.  Thoughts?

parrotheadcubs

Alright I did the port forwarding.  Created MB3 and pointed it to the IP address of the server.  Port of 8096 for both.  I go to what I think should be the site, http://ip address:8096/mediabrowser and still page not found.

parrotheadcubs

Wow, I'm an idiot.  So I went to the remote access and got right in.  I'm so stupid.

You just need to use the external IP address of your router.  Then the port forwarding you setup will handle getting the traffic to the MB machine.

• Like 1

chef

Perhaps try adding "dashboard\index.htm" at the end of what you wrote above??

Http:\\{ip}:{port}\mediabrowser\dashboard\index.htm

Edited by chef

Well, did you allow traffic both ways for the server application on the server machine?

parrotheadcubs

I may have found that I'm trying to send it to an IP address that I can't use.  Sounds like I need DNS?

parrotheadcubs

Basically I have a non routable IP address that can't be accessed.  A 192.168.  Frankly I'm not savvy enough to know how to work around this.

swhitmore

If you have a dynamic ip address (external), I recommend using a DNS, otherwise it will stop working everytime your external IP address changes. I use no-ip (free).

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

where did you get the address from? did you try the one listed on the main page of the server dashboard?

swhitmore

where did you get the address from? did you try the one listed on the main page of the server dashboard?

I think in the end he did.

Yes that's the one I used.  Should I go a different route?

No, that's correct.  You've got it now.

parrotheadcubs

Well my remote address changed that's why I couldn't access it.  Looks like I'll have to go through something like noip.com to combat this moving forward.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Well my remote address changed that's why I couldn't access it.  Looks like I'll have to go through something like noip.com to combat this moving forward.

Yeah, that's why I suggested using a DNS ;) . Every time your external IP changes it will break. Using a DNS like no-ip will solve your issue.

• Like 1