FR - Server: In Use Warning.

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

So.. You're working in the Web Client and you get a popup notice: New version installed, click here to restart. Without thinking, you press the button. From the other room, it is as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced when an anguished cry comes out stating the show they were watching just stopped or the Client UI crashed.

This could all be resolved with the server displaying a warning saying "Username is watching XYZ currently, continue with restart?". Then you can choose to restart or not. When the current stream is over, the server could then notify you that it is safe to restart.

• Like 1

mboehler

Restarting the server only affects those clients that are using transcoded streams, correct?  I've restarted the server dozens of times when people were watching shows via MB Classic in the other room with no ill effects.

Koleckai Silvestri

Media Browser Theater will crash to the OS after the current item finishes playing if the server is restarted in the middle of playback. Don't use MBC except rare times when MBT is broken.

But yes, the primary problem is Roku-like devices, phones and tablets. I can't see paying $500 for a media center PC when I can get 99% of the functionality out of a $100 Roku or Android device. if I had a home theater room, it might be justified for the bigger box.

Edited by Wayne Luke

mboehler

Media Browser Theater will crash to the OS after the current item finishes playing if the server is restarted in the middle of playback. Don't use MBC except rare times when MBT is broken.

But yes, the primary problem is Roku-like devices, phones and tablets. I can't see paying $500 for a media center PC when I can get 99% of the functionality out of a $100 Roku or Android device. if I had a home theater room, it might be justified for the bigger box.

I bought Zotac Z-boxes for all of our TVs before all the apps started coming out for Media Browser.  If I had known ahead of time I would have saved my money and done exactly that, bought Roku's for the TVs instead. 

But I definitely see your point on this.  Interrupting someone's TV show in progress is likely to cause grief!

• Like 1