So emby is FREE on my Roku's, but I buy a nice Shield TV and I have to pay to unlock the app?

BlazedMonkey

BlazedMonkey

I'm not following the logic here folks.  Have I got this right?

I have 3 Roku's, two of which I barely paid $30 each for, and emby is free and works just fine.  I buy the Shield TV, and now I have to pay to unlock the app, or buy premiere, otherwise the app won't work right after the "trial" ends?

BlazedMonkey

And I appreciate that. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the app, and I don't mind paying $5. But when I've set up 3 other Roku's and a few phones without having to pay a dime, it's a bit jarring to buy a new system and suddenly be told I need to pay to "unlock" the app that, up until now, I had been using for free.

Guest asrequested

I just gave $10 to a homeless lady digging through garbage for recyclable bottles. You're complaining that you can't have free software?

• Like 1

BlazedMonkey

I just gave $10 to a homeless lady digging through garbage for recyclable bottles. You're complaining that you can't have free software?

I'm asking why it's free on roku and android phones, but not the nvidia shield. I already said I planned on paying.

Jdiesel

I'm not sure you will get a clear answer but I suspect the Android TV is one of the most popular apps and charging for it is a reliable source of revenue. As for the Rokus, they don't have a app store that supports payments for in app unlocks therefore it only makes sense it is free for basic usage.

• Agree 1

BlazedMonkey

I'm not sure you will get a clear answer but I suspect the Android TV is one of the most popular apps and charging for it is a reliable source of revenue. As for the Rokus, they don't have a app store that supports payments for in app unlocks therefore it only makes sense it is free for basic usage.

See, now THAT is an answer that makes some sense. This is all I was looking for.

BlazedMonkey

It is not free on Android phones either if I am not mistaken. At least I am quite sure I also paid 5€ for that...

Hmmm, I'm guessing I used my Google survey rewards for that which is why I don't recall it.

I don't recall ever paying for the app on AndroidTV or any iPhone or Galaxy.

I do recall paying for Lifetime Premier at a very low introductory price several years back and then feeling so guilty about getting it so cheaply that I pay for it again and again because I appreciate the hard work that @@ebr , @@Luke and many others put in on this project.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Install Kodi and get the Emby for Kodi add-on to add the Emby library to the Kodi database for a much better setup. Kodi is free.

You can install the Embuary skin to make Kodi pretty close to how Emby looks with the advantage of being able to customise and add custom playlists etc

Edited by colfin22

Hi.  The reason is because the original Roku app was released as free and we didn't want to make people start paying for something that they previously were able to use for free.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

BlazedMonkey

Thank you ebr, that was the explanation I was looking for. As I said, I plan on buying the app, I have no problem supporting something that obviously had a lot of time and effort involved, I just couldn't wrap my head around the pricing difference. The devs are quick to respond to issues, which is a lot more than I see from a lot of other apps out there, so kudos for that. Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you ebr, that was the explanation I was looking for. As I said, I plan on buying the app, I have no problem supporting something that obviously had a lot of time and effort involved, I just couldn't wrap my head around the pricing difference. The devs are quick to respond to issues, which is a lot more than I see from a lot of other apps out there, so kudos for that. Thanks for the clarification.

If you're using multiple devices like Roku's, phones and now a Shield TV, you should just get a lifetime premiere key and then all the apps will be free. Plus you'll get a few extra features on the server side. Sure it's more than the $5 you'll pay just for the app, but I'm happy to support these guys simply for the hours they spend here troubleshooting with everybody. 

• Like 4

• 1 year later...