UHD HDR Question

TylerV76

TylerV76

First off Im extremely new to the UHD scene so bear with me if im missing something simple. Can someone look at these 2 files and help me figure out why one triggers HDR on my TV and the other doesn't? Im not seeing any differences here. 

This is on an Nvidia Shield and the HDMI display mode is set to YUV 420 10Bit Rec. 2020

HDR Triggered:

5c4777f493b2b_ScreenShot20190122at30217P

HDR Not Triggered:

5c477818e4aa5_ScreenShot20190122at30243P

Jdiesel

The second video has been cropped to remove the black bars above and below the video, (3840x1600 instead of 3840x2160). Emby on the Shield TV currently has an issue enabling HDR with these cropped videos. Current solution is to re-rip/re-download an uncropped version...

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

TylerV76

The second video has been cropped to remove the black bars above and below the video, (3840x1600 instead of 3840x2160). Emby on the Shield TV currently has an issue enabling HDR with these cropped videos. Current solution is to re-rip/re-download an uncropped version...

Thank you. I just came back into this thread to edit it and say I found the other thread explaining this. 

CBers

As per the other thread(s), it appears to be an issue with the Emby ATV app, as the Plex ATV app works.

You can use an externally with the Emby ATV app, such as MX Player, or the Archos Player.

We're stuck with this until either Google fix exoplayer, or Emby provides some sort of work around.

TylerV76

Or just use any other Android TV device. Everything else other than shield works just fine.

I looked at grabbing a Mi Box but apparently it doesn't passthrough Dolby Atmos. 

Im fine getting another box but I don't know of another one that allows direct play of everything and allows Dolby Atmos. Doesn't even have to be Android. Im looking to see if Roku could possibly handle all of this. 

Edit: appears Roku cannot passthrough Lossless Truehd so that won't be an option. 

Edited by TylerV76

Guest asrequested

I looked at grabbing a Mi Box but apparently it doesn't passthrough Dolby Atmos.

Im fine getting another box but I don't know of another one that allows direct play of everything and allows Dolby Atmos. Doesn't even have to be Android. Im looking to see if Roku could possibly handle all of this.

Yeah, that's an issue with these little boxes. Some of these guys have experimented with various models, maybe they could chime in? Edited by Doofus

TylerV76

Yeah, that's an issue with these little boxes. Some of these guys have experimented with various models, maybe they could chime in?

May be a stupid question but if these other apps on the shield can support cropped HDR, why is Emby using the stock Android player? Wouldn't it be a better solution to use a forked version like Plex does? 

Granted, I know less than zero about customizing the exoplayer or any video player for that matter. 

Edited by TylerV76

Guest asrequested

May be a stupid question but if these other apps on the shield can support cropped HDR, why is Emby using the stock Android player? Wouldn't it be a better solution to use a forked version like Plex does?

Granted, I know less than zero about customizing the exoplayer or any video player for that matter.

That has been talked about. I can only speculate as to why ebr is making his decision.

CBers

You can set up an external player for Emby to use, but it then uses it for all content.

I asked whether a TAG could be added to a movie so that the ATV app sees it and then forces playback via an external player, but there was no feedback from Eric.

He seems to be waiting for a fix, rather than hacking the app to get it to work temporarily.

• Like 1

TylerV76

What external player are people using that does HDR and HD Audio Passthrough?

Archos will do it if you install the separate codecs app. MX Player does it also but I was having horrendous stuttering with that app (may need a change in the settings or something).

Are we allowed to offer bribes to @@ebr to get this working in Emby? I don't have much hope that Nvidia is going to get this going anytime soon. 

CBers

Archos will do it if you install the separate codecs app. MX Player does it also but I was having horrendous stuttering with that app (may need a change in the settings or something).

I just tried with both the Archos player and MX Player, but neither triggered HDR on my TV when used as an external player - I thought I had tried them successfully in the past. :huh: 

They both did if I opened the app standalone and navigated to the file on my server  :rolleyes: 

Are we allowed to offer bribes to @@ebr to get this working in Emby? I don't have much hope that Nvidia is going to get this going anytime soon.

:D

Guest asrequested

All of this would go away if ExoPlayer used Android's standard decoder. I think it's mediacodec?

Edited by Doofus

TylerV76

I just tried with both the Archos player and MX Player, but neither triggered HDR on my TV when used as an external player - I thought I had tried them successfully in the past. :huh:

They both did if I opened the app standalone and navigated to the file on my server :rolleyes:

:D

Ill try them again when I get home but they were triggering it last night for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBers

Ill try them again when I get home but they were triggering it last night for me.

With cropped content?

All of this would go away if ExoPlayer used Android's standard decoder. I think it's mediacodec?

That's exactly what it already does.

This issue is not related to that at all.  It is related to having two different surfaces visible at the same time I believe.

TylerV76

With cropped content?

Ok so I just tested cropped files using the external player with Archos, I have the codecs app installed also. the first time I played it I got HDR and Atmos sound. I backed out and tried another movie and I got HDR but multi channel sound. I tried again and got HDR and multi channel sound. I don't know why it triggered it the first time and no other times. 

• Like 1

TylerV76

This issue is not related to that at all.  It is related to having two different surfaces visible at the same time I believe.

Im still willing to bribe you if that helps.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

This issue is not related to that at all. It is related to having two different surfaces visible at the same time I believe.

Oh, well forgive my misunderstanding. I thought you had said that ExoPlayer uses the native decoder of the device? Which would be different on the shield. So it uses the Android decoder, and that's having a problem with how it works with the shield GPU?

vdatanet

Im still willing to bribe you if that helps.

Maybe we should bribe NVIDIA, which in my opinion they are responsible. :)

Edited by vdatanet