Server process is not closing on restart or restart is attempted to soon

gthrift

plazma

Just had a thought, sorry if it doesn't help but for those of you with this fault how much memory does the emby server have and how much free memory do you have prior to a emby restart?

I had a similar issue in the past where a program needed to shutdown nicely (not forced killed), turned out due to low memory the system had move essential parts into virtual memory, as a result the system had to fight its self to swap out other stuff in active ram to then nicely close down the software.

Im not saying this is the cause, just something that springs to mind.

as a work around (although its a bit of a fudge) you could monitor the active process list for emby server say once every 10 mins, hour or what ever, that way if emby doesn't manage to auto restart on its own and the script cant find it on the active process list it would just relaunch.

it wont fix the issue, but it would automatically recover from the fault.

If anyone wants me to throw a batch script together to do this drop me a pm.

Edited by plazma

muehlberger

I'm experiencing the same issue - Had it over a year ago and suddenly it was fixed. Since a month or two, it appeared again.

My process takes ~ 300MB memory, 3GB free memory. When stopping the service, the cpu comes down to 0 After some seconds and then keeps on zero. When trying to kill the process manually, i get "

The operation could not be completed. Access is denied."

--muehlberger

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

As a test, see if it happens without serverwmc installed

I've tried that, but it hasn't helped. I will post a long next time i have to restart. 

• 4 weeks later...
Happy2Play

Install on WHS 2011 takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for task to die in task manager.  Two different servers, one stable release, one beta release.

But my Windows 10 test machine restarts normal on all releases so far.

server-63580777490.txt

• 3 months later...
revengineer

Same problem here. Running emby on Windows Server 2012 Essentials as service. When I shut down from the web interface, it takes several minutes for the process to actually stop and disappear from the task list. The same problem occurs when running as application and the restart function never works because the process does not shut down quickly enough. This issue is 100% reproducible.

Ok, apologies. On some systems then we are still trying to figure out the reason for it taking a long time to shut down. In the meantime as a workaround you'll have to start back up manually once it finally does shut down.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
revengineer

It has been almost a year and this issue still is not resolved. On almost every activity that requires restarting emby (emby server update, plugin update), I have to reboot my server. This is extremely disruptive and time consuming. In 30 years of using windows, this is the first and only program that I cannot kill as admin with task manager. I wish we could get this finally fixed!!!!!

just throwing my experience in here in case it helps anyone. i had no issues with emby shutting down quickly and restarting on its own for updates. then one day it started having issues where it didn't get started back up after an update. also when trying to just shut it down it would take anywhere from 30 seconds to minutes before the process would stop. i couldn't end task on it either, just had to wait for it to go away.

i ended up figuring out that my issue started when i was playing around with setting up a VPN with windows through my desktop that also runs emby. if i create the incoming VPN connection i have this issue. as soon as i delete it and restart my pc the issue goes away and i can shutdown and restart emby without issue. as long as the VPN connection is there i have issues with emby shutting down and restarting.

muehlberger

From my point of view, it got a quite bit better, but the behavior still exists. I've configured a vpn service, but it is not in use. So I'll give it a try and remove it - maybe it helps.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

• 3 years later...
aztm22@hotmail.com

this problem is not fixed at all, i have emby installed on windows server 2016 and when i try to restart the server it will leave the embyserver.exe running and if i try to end the it just says access denied, i am only running windows server 2016 and emby nothing else, my emby server has no plugins installed other then the ones that are installed when first installed.

Only way to get it working would to restart the whole server just to get it back, i have waited but even after 1 hour of waiting it was still opened 

Happy2Play

My WHS2011 Emby will hang on restart for Minutes and causing me to manually start the process again and another system restarts without issue.  To me it is more of a platform issue then a Emby issue as it is machine specific in my environment.  

Spaceboy

this might explain why i havent been able to restart and apply emby updates for the last several beta versions. unfortunately i need DLNA. Please can this be fixed

Spaceboy
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please see how to report a problem:

Thanks !

what activity would the log need to show? the symptom is not being able to restart emby and apply updates. need a server update to apply first

Just thought I'd throw this in here in case anyone is following and hits this snag.  Have seen Firefox cause issues where it locks the Emby folders. Couldn't do an update until change to Edge or Chrome.  Seen this now on a few computers of customers.