4.0.1.0 - More changes in revision causing issues!

unisoft

unisoft

So the update came down today (revision update). Applied all OK, logs fine. Scanned libraries.

More bloody work for me to do though. getting to the stage I wish I stayed on 3.5.3 now.

So someone has obviously changed the way images are displayed for Music Videos and Home Videos libraries I have (mixed content library).

The closest I can show now upgrade has been done, is the view from Emby Theatre (before) and the web version (after upgrade).

Emby Theatre screenshot - images expanded to fill frame, but rather that than odd looking proportions inside a box which is what the web screen shot shows.

Also, when going into MUSIC VIDEOS library now in WEB client, I get a default view of all the videos. How the hell was that decided the correct view? A mish mash of different videos not categorised by artist which is in a folder.

Selecting FOLDERS in this view (which should actually be a SORT BY menu function) and I get the proper view by folder which is sorted by Artist and then video single track.

Why can't the Emby developers do something about default views, sticky views and ability to turn off menu options on the top bar menu?????? Windows Media Center had reg keys for making views "sticky".

Emby Theatre (closest possible visual view before upgrade to 4.0.1.0)

5c47462bcf527_EmbyTheatre.jpg

Emby Web client after upgrade (notice the pics are scaled differently despite same sizes!)

5c4746a4407d9_webclient.jpg

So for me, what should have been a very happy upgrade from 3.5.3 to 4.x is now a mixed bag of results.

1. Collections using collection.xml no longer supported and not in original release notes, resulting in days of work to add them all again with associated images held in the folder.

2. 'Latest Movies' simply not working for unknown reason. The dates are correct in XML and correct in Meta Manager in dashboard but don't display, yet do on 3.5.3

3. New image display processing making images not uniform for mixed content libraries (sorted by folder libraries) despite all being same size.

These are the other features I was kind of hoping were in 4.x, but appreciate these were neither promised:

1. Ability to disable menu options on top screen menu such as Trailers, Upcoming, Suggestions and ability to change displayed menu order of options

2. Changing the channel numbering for the EPG to different channel numbers and hide channels (apparently coming later so can wait - at least it's coming...)

3. Ability to state how many items appear on the front screen for 'Because you watched'. Feel there are too many listed and would like to reduce speeding up display. Should be admin or user choice.

4. 'Genres' link to be on front screen so you don't have to go into ALL MOVIES and then into Genres. A lot of people would go straight to genres e.g. Comedy. Make all Movies tile (LG APP) half the size and add a genres one after that and before the current 'Favourites' and 'Collections' tiles.

5. Showing the EPG end date of the listings on the dashboard at least.

6. People images detecting if 'metadata\People' folder exists and using images as a source from there to populate images. Just ignores that folder of sub-folders of images (MB 2.6.2 it works). I already had 1000's of people images from MB 2.6.2 so why can't it make use of them!

I don't want to be negative because the Emby people are doing hard work and great stuff, but there are annoyances that prevent that final "polish" and Emby deserves that polish.

There is a reluctance to add settings for admin or user choice, but if the interface is correctly designed and labelled, it should not be confusing. Why not add a Group policy type thing for advanced admin users, Microsoft does or put it under 'Advanced Settings' section.

Edited by unisoft

As far as legacy folder collections. They were part of 4.0 and I apologize that I simply forgot to include them in the release notes. They hardly ever come up anymore and I just forgot about them when writing the announcement.

unisoft

What exactly is wrong with the music video images?

Look at the two screen shots. Top one = correct. The WEB client one = incorrect

The web client one has changed the sizes/aspect ratio sizes, even though they are all the same size. They are not all uniform to fit in the frame size like Emby Theatre and LG app does.

Why have some got text labels and others haven't as well (web client).

And can we have an option please to disable the folder icon on each tile graphic - its butt ugly :) (this was there before though).

And as I said rather than go into FOLDERS view - it now just shows a random list of ALL MUSIC VIDEOS as default view. Why on earth would I want that? Even changing it does not 'stick'. The Andrioid app does this too.

I want music videos grouped by artist which is the whole point of folders at OS level where they are sorted this way. This is an accepted method but just the default view has changed to just list loads of 'songs' effectively. The current Emby Theatre client just goes auto into Folder view without even saying it on the screen which is far better.

e.g. videos grouped at folder level by music Category/genre and Artist: 

\\nas\Multimedia\Videos\Music Videos\Brit Pop, Indie & Rock\Blondie\Call Me

\\nas\Multimedia\Videos\Music Videos\Brit Pop, Indie & Rock\Blondie\Hanging On The Telephone

\\nas\Multimedia\Videos\Music Videos\Brit Pop, Indie & Rock\Blondie\Heart Of Glass

\\nas\Multimedia\Videos\Music Videos\Dance & Club\808 State\Pacific State

\\nas\Multimedia\Videos\Music Videos\Pop\Tori Amos\Cornflake Girl

\\nas\Multimedia\Videos\Music Videos\Pop\Tori Amos\Professional Widow [Remix]

Folders view should be default or view or the ability to make that view "stick" everytime you go into that library instead of showing all files as default.

Default view screenshot when going into my MUSIC VIDEOS library - default is not to show FOLDERS view (i.e. my categories/genres view as defined by folder structure) and does this EVERY time:

5c4754ea4e420_webclientdefaultview.jpg

Edited by unisoft

• 1 month later...
unisoft

That can be improved, yes.

Hi Luke,

I got to the bottom of the issue here why some of the images were scaling differently despite being the same sizes.(Refer to two large images at top of post for comparison)

• In the WEB VERSION, the number of pixels per inch (dpi) affects the scaling even if the images are all the same size. So for example some were 96, some were 100 or 243 dpi.
  • If I resaved as 96dpi they all scaled the same and fitted the image size placeholder and then all didn't display text on the image instead of mixed results.
  • This didn't affect the previous 3.x Emby versions or affect the ROKU client or the LG app v1.09 or the Samsung App on 4.0.x versions - it was just the WEB VERSION on 4.0.x

You may (or may not) want to look at this on a check list or something as there's likely to be other people wondering the same. I cannot be the only person.

Edited by unisoft