Roku Picture is scrambled when playing 7.1 audio

bigverm23

bigverm23

it seems maybe I am missing something relate to VAAPI in order to properly play a 4k HEVC 7.1 audio media file

$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
vaInitialize failed with error code -1 (unknown libva error),exit

Can someone point me in the right direction?
Edited by bigverm23

There's no transcoding here so that means VAAPI isn't even involved. We're just stream copying the original video.

Can you show a screenshot of what you see? Thanks !

The 7 channel audio is forcing it to transcode I imagine so this is probably an ffmpeg issue.

If you have hardware transcoding enabled on the server, try turning it off.  Also, please attach the ffmpeg log.

Thanks.

Deadpool.2.2018.2160p.BluRay.x265.10bit.SDR.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos

@@Luke 10bit SDR? Is there a way to tell when 10bit is HDR vs SDR in the server media info? The Roku cannot decode SDR 10bit correctly and will instead just decide to decode it as if it is HDR 10bit and destroy the output.

Using the "Playback Correction" in the app should solve the problem. Might need to use playback correction multiple times until it transcodes. Once transcoding ffmpeg should be able to fix what the Roku cannot do on its own.

Edited by speechles

The picture is still scrambled?

I think I am understanding what is happening. My Roku ultra can playback HEVC with SDR or HDR in 10bit just fine.

I am thinking RokuTV have the same issue as they do with HEVC at 60fps. Some RokuTV models cannot decode yuv420p10le in HEVC. We might need a setting "Disable SDR 10bit with HEVC" for RokuTV users. We cannot possibly detect this support it would have to be with a setting the same way HEVC at 60fps is done. We will have to see what we can do to fix this and get this resolved.

Edited by speechles

bigverm23

To provide some additional details:

First noticed this on a new Roku TV but it does seem the file was listed as 10bit SDR.

I have also just noticed this same behavior today 1610 EST while playing 10bit SDR on a Roku premier.

I will actually go and convert any files from SDR to HDR BUT if the previous poster @speechless says he can play SDR or HDR without issue...then it seems there is still a problem here.

Edited by bigverm23

@@bigverm23 I only have two Roku at the moment. Both are Roku ultras. The #4640 and the #4660. Both play HEVC with SDR or HDR in 10bit. 

Also for some background. I put together the detection capabilities the Roku app uses to build the profile it sends to the server of what is supported. This is built on previous knowledge. The play field for this changes on a day-to-day basis as Roku changes firmwares and adds new devices. We have to adjust accordingly all the time. This is just part of that adjustment. We adapt and mitigate the firmware issues these changes may come with.

We can possibly add a setting to "Allow SDR in HEVC". That should allow users to work around this problem for any Roku device that has it and only devices that support HEVC would ever see the setting. The setting would default to ON. Those with issues simply turn this setting OFF and it will have the server transcode the video stream of the problem video from HEVC SDR 10bit to H264 SDR 8bit. I can talk to the team about making this happen. This is the only way we have to work-around the issue until Roku addresses it. Roku has to work with the TV manufacturer to address this so it might take longer to happen on those models hence the need to have the setting as we have no idea how long this problem may last. We are only as good as this moment lasts. Tomorrow may change everything again. We will be ready for that tomorrow.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I have logged your issue on our internal tracker.

Reference: Issue #210: HEVC Color Range can display garbled video

Edited by speechles

bigverm23

awesome thanks for the time and efforts on this.  Luckily my 4k library is small so it's only a matter of redownloading a few movies and excluding SDR!

• 8 months later...

Was there a resolution to this, other than converting media? I just got a 4k tv for my Roku Ultra (4660X) and some of the videos are coming up scrambled as BigVerm23's was experiencing. They play fine on other devices though.

Was there a resolution to this, other than converting media? I just got a 4k tv for my Roku Ultra (4660X) and some of the videos are coming up scrambled as BigVerm23's was experiencing. They play fine on other devices though.

Are they direct playing when this happens?

After investigating further, it is only when it transcodes. It will transcode for multiple reasons, subtle format not supported, incorrect bitrate limits. Obviously the nitrate limit is user error, but subtitles are nice even if I don't use them regularly.

This also could be a limitation of the Roku.

Is there a way to disable transcoding per user?

I have only a handful of 4k videos, but I plan on replacing all of my library with as high quality as possible.

It might be because this forces an audio transcode. No Roku model presently supports 7.1 audio. The only way to get ATMOS 7.1 metadata is to become a Roku partner and that is a small fortune. So we have to transcode 7.1 to either 5.1 or stereo. On top you may have some condition in that HEVC file that fails a check. If it says container is not compatible yet it is MKV that is likely because a direct play error occured and something in that MKV the Roku doesn't like (usually something in the header). Check the stats for nerds inside the Roku app. It will tell you what is "really" going on from its perspective. This may differ from what the server says is the transcoding reason. The stats for nerds inside the Roku app is the definitive way to tell what is actually happening. The Roku stats for nerds updates every 10 seconds.

You can disable transcoding per user on your Emby dashboard settings as administrator. Click the user section tab. Then on the pane on the right choose the user to modify and configure whatever you want. 

When firmware 9.2.x gets on more Roku devices we can re-evaluate every single thing we are doing to check against the new firmware. But until then we already are doing the best we can at the moment. Thank you for your patience with this problem. Hopefully firmware 9.2.x solves this. *crosses fingers*

Edited by speechles