Music Videos

PoBear

Hi again

Sorry to be a pain but what is the required library format under 4.0 for Music Videos?

Having spent a month rearranging all my MVs to fit the previous format and adding additional data, I now find that having upgraded to 4.0 it is has reset the entries for about 90% of my library and lost all of the data that I had just put in!!!

I did a complete backup first and then did a clean install of 4.x just to see what 4.x would bork. The clean install mostly went well...not perfect but mostly well.

I hope you did a full backup first?

I didn't know my system had upgraded until I had problems logging in from Kodi, by that time it was too late, at some time in the past auto-update had got turned on, but even if it had been backed up it wouldn't have made a difference as the library has been updated so I couldn't have done a restore anyway,

As discussed here , looking for a better way to manage music videos. It's not really a bug, because both ways are behaving as expected. But if you edit the metadata to benefit one way, it harms the other way. But perhaps the music video file view should display the names as "Artist - Title", pulling from the separate Artist and Track metadata tags and not just the title.

Edited by Xorp

Guidelines from 3.5 haven't changed. The only thing that has changed is the presentation was updated to allow you to browse by folder, as well as browse by all videos.

Does that help answer your questions?

Theodore

I came here to report the same problem. I have my folders arranged like this:

-MusicVideos

-Artist

-Video

-Video.mp4

-Video.nfo

-Video (1)

-Video (1).mp4

-Video (1).nfo

-Video (2)

-Video (2).mp4

-Video (2).nfo

-Artist (2)

-Video

-Video.mp4

-Video.nfo

-Video (1)

-Video (1).mp4

-Video (1).nfo

-Video (2)

-Video (2).mp4

-Video (2).nfo

When I go into the category, it defaults to a listing of all videos where before it defaulted to a folder view. I can switch to folder view (which I want to be able to set to the default view), but when going in to the artist folder it shows the individual videos as another layer of folders with the video inside that. Emby is supposed to treat those as a data screen just as it does for movies (as it did prior 4.0.1.0).

Additionally, any person information stored in the individual video NFO files is not displayed in the actor's profile. i.e. if "John Smith" is in one of the music videos, when I view his profile I can see the movies and TV shows he is credited in, but not any of the videos in a Music Video collection.

Theodore

People in Music Videos being shown in the person's profile was there all the way until this one (not sure if it was in the first release of v4 or not as by the time I saw the notice you were on the second iteration) which means it was removed, but I would really appreciate having it back.

But on the main part of the issue, what is the appropriate file structure for Music Videos so that the folders they are in is not treated as yet another layer before the video? Restoring the view of a video in a folder to act like a movie would be greatly appreciated. i.e. the NFO file in the video's folder to describe the video.

Theodore

It's a true folder view though isn't it?

That is not the point and that is an INCREDIBLY condescending reply. Up until v4, when you changed something that worked perfectly well, the folder structure I and others have described would show a view when going into the library of all artists. Then clicking into the artist's folder would show a view of all the videos in there. Clicking on a video's folder would take you to a screen to click "play" or review info contained in the NFO as appropriately tagged. The rest of this thread reads to me that we want that behavior back and we are asking how to do just that.

And if you really want to go for condescending - as these discussions come up EVERY time you make a major revision - before you change something that isn't broken you should check with your user base about how they use it and if the change is warranted. And if you do change it anyways, you need to be immediately forthcoming on how to get that back or the proper way to organize their library now. And while we are talking about the appropriate way to organize a library, remember that there are many of us who have been using Emby for years (or longer) now with thousands of movies and videos cataloged in it. You cannot seriously expect people to spend days/weeks/hours to reorganize their libraries because you got a wild hair.

Theodore

I apologize, that was not the intention.

Thank you.

Moving on, what is the solution or fix for this? Will there be an update in the very near future that will return this function/view to the way it was and should be? Or is there a folder structure we should use to have them appear as expected?

Guidelines from 3.5 haven't changed. The only thing that has changed is the presentation was updated to allow you to browse by folder, as well as browse by all videos.

Does that help answer your questions?

It's just that browsing by all videos omits the artist's name, depending on how your Title metadata is set. Most of us (I think) put the song name as the title, meaning the all videos view is missing the artist name.

Edited by Xorp

Theodore

It's just that browsing by all videos omits the artist's name, depending on how your Title metadata is set. Most of us (I think) put the song name as the title, meaning the all videos view is missing the artist name.

If you have the artist in the title that would work, but that means going in and re-naming hundreds (or potentially much more) of videos by hand if you don't. 

Ok yes that's something we can improve. Thanks.

I'll lay it on the line here: it isn't strictly speaking "music" videos I have logged this way. On my main profile yes, it is, but since I usually shuffle by genre it isn't a big problem. On the "adult" profile however I used it for stub-videos because they were treated as movies to include description, genre, actors, etc, but kept separate in all displays including on the actor profile. That means if I viewed the profile for Ava Addams, the first grouping would show the movies she is in and the second grouping would show the stub-videos she is in (the title would be "Music Videos" unfortunately, but I could live with that). If I make that particular library "Movie" based, they lump in with the movies. Same with "Mixed Content". If I make that library "Home videos" then there are no actors, genres, or anything else. This is the functionality that I want. If Music Videos is no longer appropriate to this (and it sounds like there are at least 1 or 2 others who want the same type of information), then how about you add another category option called "Video Clips" that has all the filter/info of "Movies" but lists them in a separate grouping.

Edited by Theodore

• 7 months later...
audio_elf

Sorry this is a bit of a zombie post but wanted to add me 2p...

Currently the Music Video's section is missing two things ...

First, when you use the (all) "Music Videos" it would be useful (IMO) if you could sort by Artist instead of by title.

Second, in the "Folder" view; while its great that it flattens folders with only one item; would it be possible for the folder name still to be shown as well as the video title - while *I* know Hardwired is a (the only) Metallica video I have, it would be great if it could show "Metalica - Hardwired" (Folder name - Video title) on either 1 line with hyphen on 2 lines (preferably automatically changing depending the length of the title).

Also could it then keep everything sorted by folder name, even those videos where the folder is flattened?

Sorry this is a bit of a zombie post but wanted to add me 2p...

Currently the Music Video's section is missing two things ...

First, when you use the (all) "Music Videos" it would be useful (IMO) if you could sort by Artist instead of by title.

Second, in the "Folder" view; while its great that it flattens folders with only one item; would it be possible for the folder name still to be shown as well as the video title - while *I* know Hardwired is a (the only) Metallica video I have, it would be great if it could show "Metalica - Hardwired" (Folder name - Video title) on either 1 line with hyphen on 2 lines (preferably automatically changing depending the length of the title).

Also could it then keep everything sorted by folder name, even those videos where the folder is flattened?

Hi, yes those are good ideas for the future. Artist sorting in the music videos tab can be added pretty easily, so i'll do that now. Thanks.