21:9 scope screen aspect ratio option or Crop option

Hiltonk

Hi There

After being a JRiver Media Centre user for many many years and splitting my use between JRiver for the main theatre and my workstation and using Emby for everywhere else, including a Sony OLED, 2 x Shields and several tablets and a couple PCs.

There's just one thing now stopping me from switching the theatre and workstation over to emby, and that's a cropping or aspect ratio option.   I use a wide scope screen 140" screen and 21:9 38" HDR screen for my workstation that also does duty as my private personal cinema.

Now I have HDR working in Emby Theatre I'd love to be able to use it on my 21:9 screens.

Just a simple 21:9 aspect ratio option alongside the existing aspect ratio options would be perfect. (or a crop black bars option) 

Can this be achieve with any manual tweak to settings while awaiting a built-in option?

Also just a not of thanks for making the best AV server/player in the market, your development cycle, features and usability far out perform any of the others especially from a UI and UX perspective.

My family and I love the ease of use and the fact it's the same experience on any device. ...And I've tortured them with ALL the different players and servers over the years. Emby is by far the best.

I've worked out a workaround with mpv.conf but it's not ideal.  

I've added panscan=1.0  but it obviously crops 16:9 which I'd prefer not to crop.

I played with a few other cropping and scaling features but this was the best compromise so far that works.

I tried using an autoscrop script but couldnt get it to work  https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/TOOLS/lua/autocrop.lua

Anything else you can suggest?

panscan=1.0

[HDR]
vo=gpu
tone-mapping=mobius
target-prim=bt.2020
hwdec=dxva2-copy
tone-mapping-max-boost=2
target-peak=300
Edited by Hiltonk

Hmmm... you just need a full zoom to accomplish this, correct?  Doesn't it already have that?

I have a 2.35 screen setup in my theater room but I use an anamorphic lens and then the "Vertical Stretch" option to produce the full screen image.  Without the lens, a simple full zoom should do it though it seems.

Hi. No that doesnt exist that I can find.  By default the 3840x2160 files have black bars allround on a 3840x1600 monitor and nothing I can find to zoom the black bars away.

• 8 months later...
frostedpanda

Still no crop option for 21:9 screens in windows as far as I can tell. I can have Emby theater open files in VLC but then that defeats the entire purpose of Emby in the first place. Many of my movies have letterboxing hardcoded in the file which results in black bars completely surrounding the image even though the image is the same aspect ratio as the screen. Only way to fix that is to crop. With 21:9 computer monitors becoming more mainstream, we really should have a crop option in both Emby Theater and the web version of Emby.

Still no crop option for 21:9 screens in windows as far as I can tell. I can have Emby theater open files in VLC but then that defeats the entire purpose of Emby in the first place. Many of my movies have letterboxing hardcoded in the file which results in black bars completely surrounding the image even though the image is the same aspect ratio as the screen. Only way to fix that is to crop. With 21:9 computer monitors becoming more mainstream, we really should have a crop option in both Emby Theater and the web version of Emby.

It's something we can look at adding. Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

The Emby web app will have aspect ratio adjustment in the video player in the upcoming Emby Server 4.3 release. Thanks.