Multi-server question

F1nchy

Hi guys
Just adding another question on here if it's ok. I have a HDHomerun and have Emby running on two NAS drives, one Qnap (which has my TV shows, new movies and kids shows) and one Synology, which has my movie archive on it. 

How is best to set up HDHomerun with Emby and how does recording work (with Premiere)? Can I set it up to access live TV from both servers and do they record to the same location (ie the default HDHomerun location, which is on the Synology) and can they both access the same recordings? 

Also, with regard to Emby Connect vs local user, does using Emby connect still play direct from the server or does it go via Emby's servers (ie across t'internet)? With the Connect accounts I can use the same account to connect to both servers but with local accounts I'd need to duplicate the accounts on each - is that correct? A bit like Windows local accounts to domain accounts? 

Also, with regard to Emby Connect vs local user, does using Emby connect still play direct from the server or does it go via Emby's servers (ie across t'internet)? With the Connect accounts I can use the same account to connect to both servers but with local accounts I'd need to duplicate the accounts on each - is that correct? A bit like Windows local accounts to domain accounts? 

After the initial sign in process to Emby Connect, everything is direct from your client device to your server.

• Like 1

How is best to set up HDHomerun with Emby and how does recording work (with Premiere)? Can I set it up to access live TV from both servers and do they record to the same location (ie the default HDHomerun location, which is on the Synology) and can they both access the same recordings? 

Yes and yes! I would suggest checking out our live tv wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Live-TV

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks !

• Like 1

Great, thanks Luke, am I right in thinking that the wiki is out of date re the epg now? I no longer need a third party epg (other than the hdhomerun one) and Emby server 4 now includes it?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

legallink

Great, thanks Luke, am I right in thinking that the wiki is out of date re the epg now? I no longer need a third party epg (other than the hdhomerun one) and Emby server 4 now includes it?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

That’s correct depending on location. If you are outside the US, UK, or Canada, I believe you still need to provide epg.

• Like 1

Hi guys

Just adding another question on here if it's ok. I have a HDHomerun and have Emby running on two NAS drives, one Qnap (which has my TV shows, new movies and kids shows) and one Synology, which has my movie archive on it. 

Technically you can do exactly what you asked for.

I however would not do that if at all possible. If it were me I'd only use one Emby server to do all Live TV and recording to simplify it's use.  Otherwise you will have to constantly switch servers to setup recordings.  Think about this.  Server A is recording "The Big Bang Theory".  Now you or someone else want to watch it live and they happen to be on Server B.  They fire up Live TV and can watch this but now you are using TWO TUNERS since each server is accessing the same content.  Had both the live TV session and recording taken place on the same machine it would only require ONE TUNER to be used.

You can setup custom recording locations in Emby and these can be over a network.

Does that make sense?  Is this in line with what you were asking in the op post?

• Like 1

Yes, thanks for the help guys, I've taken the plunge with Premiere, I'll have a play with how best to set it up for my setup. I think I'll keep the live TV on the main Emby server and just leave the other to my movie archive.

• Like 1

Sorry, another question on Emcy Connect....!

I use Trakt to keep track of what I have watched. I currently have three local user accounts on my main Emby server, one for my toddler (which points to her TV shows, with no Trakt account), one for just me for a few of the shows I watch but my wife doesn't and one for my wife and I which is the main one we use, which points to all our main shows and new movies. 

I have both my own and our joint accounts linked to the same Trakt account (as none of the shows/movies are duplicated for users - mine are only accessible for my account and the rest all with our joint account). 

If I change our accounts to Emby Connect accounts, how does that work with Trakt? I created a Connect user for me and I can't see it listed under the Trakt plugin config. Can Connect users not access Trakt? 

If I change our accounts to Emby Connect accounts, 

Hi.  The only thing you need to do if you want to attach your account to Connect is fill in your Connect ID in the appropriate field for your existing user account.  You don't need to create new accounts.  Be sure you delete the one you did for you before trying to attach to another account though...