DVR default and optional recording paths question

BLWedge09

BLWedge09

I'm asking this here, because I'm running emby 4.0.0.2 on Ubuntu 18.04. If you feel it fits better elsewhere, feel free to move it. I have a question about the default and optional recording paths in the server configuration as shown in my attached screenshot.

I have the default recording path set to /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR .  embyDVR is both owned by the emby user and in the emby group. no issues there.  I'm trying to determine what behavior I would see if I added a movie recording path and series recording path...both inside the embyDVR directory. For example

Movie path: /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR/movies

Series Path: /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR/series

Assuming my permissions are ok, will anything continue to be recorded directly to /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR ? Or, as I would like, could I reconfigure my TV Show library to include just  /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR/series and my movie library to include just  /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR/movies ? Do i risk missing recordings being in a library (I don't have a separate DVR library) if the  /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR directory isn't included in a library ? 

post-394757-0-28008200-1547850265_thumb.png

Hi, welcome. Anything that's not a movie or series would go into the default folder, so for example Sports, or other one-off programs that are not movies.

Does that answer your question?

I am curious on that, would the system show everything from

Movie path: /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR/movies

Series Path: /home/myUser/Storage/embyDVR/series 

Under the system default "recordings" library? 

I am thinking if they want to segrigate things it might be better to have something like

/home/umyUser/Storage/embyDVR/other

/home/umyUser/Storage/embyDVR/movies

/home/umyUser/Storage/embyDVR/series

This way there are 3 different libraries with different paths.

With the /home/umyUser/Storage/embyDVR/other set as the default recording path so anything not seen as a series or movie would go there.

Edited by tdiguy

Yes you could do different libraries using the dedicated content types, and then enter the folders from those libraries into dvr settings.