kingy444

All of my music organisation is managed by itunes, meaning my layout is as such

1-01 Those Fatties (Id Mix).mp3         
1-02 The Road.mp3                       
1-03 I Want You (Late Night Mix).mp3    
2-01 Dance Spirit.mp3                   
2-02 All There Is.mp3                   
2-03 Step Aside.mp3                     

Sometimes Emby is detecting a multi disc and working correctly, where other times emby just dumps everything in one list.

I believe the difference may be the tags that iTunes puts on an album, i'm unsure how to get the tag emby likes on to the media, but hoping you can add support for the missing tag.

5c42394e3f780_music.png

Above is the result of two different albums ffprobe results, the left being one that doesnt display multi-disc and the right being the one that does

I'm no music expert, but from here http://id3.org/id3v2-00 the TPA tag is defined as below indicating this is a valid value to identify multi disc from

TPA
   The 'Part of a set' frame is a numeric string that describes which
   part of a set the audio came from. This frame is used if the source
   described in the "TAL" frame is divided into several mediums, e.g. a
   double CD. The value may be extended with a "/" character and a
   numeric string containing the total number of parts in the set. E.g.
   "1/2".

ginjaninja

i had not come across "TPA",

from the op link it looks like TPA belongs to the first revision of ID3v2?

from looking at my mp3s in a hex editor i learnt something today

the tagging programs i use (mp3tag and picard), configured to write ID3v2 v2.3 UTF 16,  write "disk number" ("disc number" as presented in their UIs) using the formal id3v2 v2.3 tag "TPOS"

FWIW mp3tag only supports id3v2 v2.3 and above (not previous versions of ID3v2)

Even though both ID3v2 and ID3v2 v2.3 wiki specs seem to indicate TPA and TPOS are both there to do the same job (indicate part of the set)

ffprobe interprets TPOS as DISCNUMBER in its screen  output...but from the OPs post , ffprobe does not interpret TPA as DISCNUMBER it would seem.

its all a bit of a mine field but i am sort of concluding..

if ffprobe doesn't think its so, then unless alot of users have a convention of using original ID3v2 ?v0.00? tag "TPA", then perhaps OP needs to upgrade their tags to 2.3 or above.

it may be worth checking using a hex editor that your TPA tag really is a tag "TPA" and not a user defined tag "TXX" with a fieldname/value pair of "TPA,2/3"

just spitballing but perhaps ffprobe would recognise a proper TPA tag as discnumber...i can t check as i dont have any softwares that write this version...

full disclaimer - .take with a pinch of salt, conclusions above drawn purely from internet research.

kingy444

What you say makes sense, the music library is rather old however has been managed by iTunes for the past decade.

What i would say, is if iTunes is capable of interperiting this old tag as disc number (it treats both formats the same) wouldn't it be better to add support to EMBY that either a 'disc' OR a 'TPA' field would indicate disc number?

I would expect this just to be a couple lines, giving priority to the 'disc' tag. ie. if disc exists, dont check for a TPA field.

Surely im not going to be the only one with this config, probably just the only one to identify it?

• 1 month later...
kingy444

It's never come up before, but yes it's possible to support in the future, thanks.

Any possibility support for this TPA tag could be bumped up the line now v4 is running nicely?

I would hope its not too much code addition as it would be duplicating the current disc check

This would be a massive help for my music library. At the moment they are just being dumped into a single album with multiple songs of the same number

• 1 month later...