Running MBC remotely

swindmiller
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

swindmiller

I thought I read here before (and that may have been old) that MBC and MBT are meant to be run locally and to use the web client (or other mobile client) to access stuff remotely.

Is this still the case?

I am setting up a new HTPC at work and installed MBC and pointed it to my external DNS name I have setup on my router so it would work when I got home. However, it seemed to connect with no problem and I was even able to play a video (even thru Media Player Classic).

Was this added or does it work but is unsupported. I am by no means complaining, I just want to understand what I can expect.

Every time I turn around there is an update......what a great product. Keep up the great work!!

Thanks,

Scott

• Solution

Both products will be able to browse your content fine.

Both will also attempt to stream content through the server for playback.  MBT will probably be better at it than MBC as we are dealing with such an old player on the MBC end.  Quality could be limited in MBC as well as we have to transcode to WMV and, at last testing, this wasn't coming back in very good quality. 

• Like 1

swindmiller

Thanks for the quick answer. I was having sporadic results.

I had planned on setting up something on my Dad's and was just going to use the web client. I got excited when this actually worked but I want stability for him so I will just stick with the web client. Thanks for saving my the trouble of testing :)