Recordings fail when watching another live channel

IkeTaylor11

IkeTaylor11

I have my Live TV source set to allow 3 streams, my IPTV provider allows 3 simultaneous streams as well. When I am watching a channel and a recording starts it kicks me out of my current channel, tries to start the recording and then fails. This is in version 4.0.0.2. I have attached the recording attempt log. I have also verified the stream link is valid and works. I have removed my username and password for security reasons. 

recording_failure.txt

IkeTaylor11

I have uploaded the latest server log. You really need a way to produce a log that doesnt hand out personal and server IP information. I have to edit every log file that gets uploaded so no one can get to my stuff. Its very frustrating. 

embyserver.txt

IkeTaylor11

Hi there, can you please attach the emby server log as well? thanks.

I am including more logs for you to view. I edited out my personal information. This was the sequence of events i did. 

1. scheduled a recording and let the recording start watching no other streams (result is record_log_1.txt)

2. opened a stream to a different channel while the recording was happening. this killed the recording in progress (result is record_log_2.txt and direct_stream_log.txt)

emby_server_log.txt is the server log from my server during this process. 

I have not tried to start a recording and let it get all the way through before opening another channel to watch. my guess is that will work since the recording only stopped when i started watching another channel. 

I also havent tested 2 recordings from different channels at the same time. That will happen later tonight. 

record_log_1.txt

record_log_2.txt

direct_stream_log.txt

emby_server_log.txt

IkeTaylor11

This issue goes deeper than originally thought. I had 2 recordings scheduled tonight, they were one after the other on the same channel. The first program actually recorded fine, no one was watching any other channels. The 2nd recording only recorded 12 minutes of the 30 minute program then it died. I am using this on a windows 10 box and i noticed Emby is creating a scheduled task for every recording. Emby isnt cleaning up expired tasks once the recordings finish. So my tasks are filing up, this should not happen. My m3u source is currently using m3u8 as the container. I could switch to ts if you think that might make a difference. But, both formats should support recordings. 

Have you ruled out Emby as the problem?  Maybe the provider changed something.  Easy enough to rule this out.

For example can you open a stream in VLC, then open a 2nd and 3rd stream in VLC as well and keep all 3 playing?

If that works, try this.

Get a stream going in Emby then open another in VLC.  Does this stop Emby from working?

Also check the setting "Simultaneous stream limit:" in the IPTV provider.  What is this set to currently?

IkeTaylor11

Emby is definitely the issue. I can play 3 streams on 2 different devices with no buffering, no issues, no playback stopping at all. As I stated in the very beginning everything was working fine with version 3.5. It’s something with version 4.0 causing this issue.

• Like 1

IkeTaylor11

I would try using ts as it's much simpler when it's all in a single stream.

If thats the case then you should state that your software only support ts stream recording and not m3u8. I am pretty frustrated that no information has been given back to me as to why the recordings have failed. No feedback from any of the logs i uploaded. No feedback about what the issue might be. 

IkeTaylor11

I would try using ts as it's much simpler when it's all in a single stream.

Are you still looking into why this isn't working? Or should I assume this topic is dead and I just have to live with the fact Emby doesn't work as it should? 

IkeTaylor11

Did you try it with TS file types?  If so, do you still have the problem?

Thats irrelevant, when I started the thread I said i was using m3u8. Recordings don't work when m3u sources are set to stream using the m3u8 container. I have provided plenty of logs to show the issue. It hasn't been addressed and I would like the original issue addressed. 

Sometimes we need to try different things to help identify the source of problems.

See message #10 above.

The more us users can help to identify problems, the easier and quicker it is to get them fixed.

I would still try it for the sake of simplicity. When your source is m3u we only use ffmpeg to talk to the url. It is possible it might be sending more than one request at a time. Hopefully there is an ffmpeg command line switch to tell it that only one connection is allowed, otherwise this may be difficult to fix.

IkeTaylor11

I would still try it for the sake of simplicity. When your source is m3u we only use ffmpeg to talk to the url. It is possible it might be sending more than one request at a time. Hopefully there is an ffmpeg command line switch to tell it that only one connection is allowed, otherwise this may be difficult to fix.

For the sake of argument I did switch my m3u source to MPEG2 which uses ts. My recordings seem to be working, i get a few that end before they are supposed to still though. Are you not able to look at the logs I already sent to find out what ffmpeg is doing with the HLS (m3u8) streams that is causing them to terminate any time another stream is accessed? 

I think it is the nature of the way live HLS streams work.

The video player has to download each .ts segment individually. In addition to that, the video player also has to keep re-downloading the m3u8 manifest to check if new segments have been added to the list. I would imagine that ffmpeg is doing these things simultaneously, which makes sense to me if you want seamless playback.