Images missing from movies after update

benaus
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi,

I updated from Emby Server 3.5.3 to 4.0.0.2 on CentOS 7

I immediately ran into an issue whereby the cover images from my Movies section disappeared from many of the movies in my library

Not all are missing though (screenshot included)

Also, when I go to Edit Images on a movie it shows no options and is blank when I try to search

Before the update I did a snapshot of the server (VMWare ESXI). I then rolled back to the snapshot and the images were there but obviously the update wasn't

I the  ran the update again, ensuring that the server was stopped, but it still happened

I tried to kick off a Library scan and that has been stuck on 87.7% for around 3+ hours

Logs and screenshots attached (Had to zip my logs as I was running into issues trying to upload individually)

Please let me know if you have any questions

Ben

post-177169-0-85743800-1547648314_thumb.png

post-177169-0-22611100-1547648321_thumb.png

logs.zip

SkyBehind

How long did it run for?  Mine took hours to get all my movie/tv show images back... even though they're saved with media files.

Hi there, has the library scan completed? I would suggest allowing it to finish and then let's re-evaluate. thanks.

Hi there, has the library scan completed? I would suggest allowing it to finish and then let's re-evaluate. thanks.

@@Luke Just checked and it is still sitting at 87.7%

I will attach the latest logs (filename for the new logs will be logs002.zip, I apologise again for the zip format)

logs002.zip

How long did it run for?  Mine took hours to get all my movie/tv show images back... even though they're saved with media files.

Yeah it is still stuck at 87.7%

Will wait and see if there is a fix otherwise I may need to roll back. Not a huge deal though....just no nice pictures  :)

• Solution

Hi, I would just give it time and allow it to finish. Try temporarily disabling subtitle downloading on your libraries, and then you can put it back on later after the scan completes. That should help.

• Like 1

Hi, I would just give it time and allow it to finish. Try temporarily disabling subtitle downloading on your libraries, and then you can put it back on later after the scan completes. That should help.

I have disabled Subtitle downloads now, as far as I know

It is still sitting on 87.7% (thats about 24+ hours at time of this post)

I have checked htop on the server as well as iftop and I can't see any hardware utilization typically associated with a scan such as increased CPU for the scan and network access for metadata and my NAS isn't showing any file access streams from the Emby server

Edit: Added total time that scan has been running for

Edited by benaus

Happy2Play

Have you checked the server log for activity?

Edited by Happy2Play

Have you checked the server log for activity?

I have

I disabled the Subtitle download as well as the Scheduled Task. There were some errors in the log related to subtitle downloads

I haven't restarted the server after these changes. Would it be worthwhile restarting the server and scanning the libraries again now that the changes to subtitles has been made?

Hi,

I think my issue is related and thought I would post here before cluttering the board with another thread.

Migrated the stable docker container from 3.5.3 to 4.0.0.2 and observed the same phenomenon as OP.

Examining the logs reveals that not the images are missing, but that emby actually deletes every item in the movie library one by one after the first start of 4.0.0.2:

2019-01-17 12:30:55.812 Info App: Deleting item, Type: Movie, Name: Some Movie, Path: /MOViES/Some.Movie2018.1080p.BluRay.x264-SomeGroup/Some.Movie.2018.1080p.BluRay.x264-SomeGroup.mkv, Id: 46011
2019-01-17 12:30:55.847 Error App: Error in ItemRemoved event handler
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.0.0.2
	Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	Operating system: Unix 4.15.0.43
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Processor count: 6
	Program data path: /config
	Application directory: /system
	System.MissingMethodException: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.SourceType MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.get_SourceType()'.
	   at Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.EntryPoints.LibrarySyncNotification.FilterItem(BaseItem item, Int32& type)
	   at Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.EntryPoints.LibrarySyncNotification.libraryManager_ItemRemoved(Object sender, ItemChangeEventArgs e)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ReportItemRemoved(BaseItem item, BaseItem parent)
	Source: Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue
	TargetSite: Boolean FilterItem(MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem, Int32 ByRef)
	   at Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.EntryPoints.LibrarySyncNotification.FilterItem(BaseItem item, Int32& type)
	   at Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.EntryPoints.LibrarySyncNotification.libraryManager_ItemRemoved(Object sender, ItemChangeEventArgs e)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ReportItemRemoved(BaseItem item, BaseItem parent)</pre>

Once the database is empty, emby rescans the library and starts adding them again one by one.

This migration path leaves a lot to be desired, since it destroys all manual metadata changes and requires re-identification of all items that were previously manually identified.

Is this expected behavior or a bug?

The precursor to the deletion event seems to be the validation of the media library, which throws some errors as well. Following log excerpt happens just before the snippet above:

2019-01-17 12:30:52.319 Info App: Validating media library
2019-01-17 12:30:52.433 Info TaskManager: Refresh Channels Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.434 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.462 Info TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Refresh Users
2019-01-17 12:30:52.462 Info TaskManager: Queueing task RefreshUsersMetadata
2019-01-17 12:30:52.462 Info TaskManager: Executing Refresh Users
2019-01-17 12:30:52.500 Info TaskManager: Queueing task ServerSyncScheduledTask
2019-01-17 12:30:52.500 Info TaskManager: Convert media Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.501 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.558 Info TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Log file cleanup
2019-01-17 12:30:52.558 Info TaskManager: Queueing task DeleteLogFileTask
2019-01-17 12:30:52.558 Info TaskManager: Executing Log file cleanup
2019-01-17 12:30:52.566 Info TaskManager: Log file cleanup Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.579 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.771 Info TaskManager: Refresh Users Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.772 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.882 Info TaskManager: Cache file cleanup Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.883 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.924 Info TaskManager: Cloud & Folder Sync Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.925 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.959 Info TaskManager: Executing Cloud & Folder Sync
2019-01-17 12:30:52.961 Info TaskManager: Cloud & Folder Sync Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.962 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:53.078 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:53.112 Info TaskManager: Check for plugin updates Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:53.113 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:53.360 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***
	Command line: /system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /config -ffdetect /bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3
	System.MissingMethodException: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.SourceType MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.get_SourceType()'.
	   at Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.EntryPoints.LibrarySyncNotification.libraryManager_ItemUpdated(Object sender, ItemChangeEventArgs e)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.UpdateItems(List`1 items, BaseItem parent, ItemUpdateType updateReason, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	TargetSite: Boolean FilterItem(MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem, Int32 ByRef)
	   at Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.EntryPoints.LibrarySyncNotification.libraryManager_ItemUpdated(Object sender, ItemChangeEventArgs e)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.UpdateItems(List`1 items, BaseItem parent, ItemUpdateType updateReason, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

2019-01-17 12:30:53.380 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***

2019-01-17 12:30:53.386 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***

2019-01-17 12:30:53.395 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***

2019-01-17 12:30:53.598 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:54.292 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:54.537 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:54.813 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:55.171 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:55.329 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:55.637 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc</pre>

For now I rolled back to 3.5.3.

Besides the above: loving the new speed and features of 4.x. Great job!

Best,

Hein

Edited by hein

Hi,

I think my issue is related and thought I would post here before cluttering the board with another thread.

Migrated the stable docker container from 3.5.3 to 4.0.0.2 and observed the same phenomenon as OP.

Examining the logs reveals that not the images are missing, but that emby actually deletes every item in the movie library one by one after the first start of 4.0.0.2:

Read through your logs and noticed you're using Emby for Kodi. Which version are you running?

I will wait and see what happens now the Subtitle downloads are disabled, as stated above I haven't restarted the server yet since disabling.

Thanks a ton for adding to this though @@hein. You got me deep diving into my logs as well  :)

Hey,

Np. Hope we can get this resolved together :)

Kodi Companion is on the latest release for 3.x, which is 2.0.3.0.

Emby for Kodi on the beta channel, so currently: 3.1.43a. Waiting for 3.1.44a to appear on the feed.

I think Luke's suggestion to temporarily disable the downloading of subtitles was mainly meant to speed up the first initial library scan.

I experienced hanging library scans due to running into hit limits of the subtitle providers in the past. The issue resolved itself after restarting Emby.

At work right now so I can't dig through your logs. Did you check if Emby initally deleted and rescanned all your movies as well?

Maybe that's just how the migration was implemented.. which would be unfortunate.

My server automatically ran the update a couple of days ago when it first came out, and I only noticed the discrepancies today due to having a lot of movies that need manual identification when initially added to the library. The first initial library scan after migration was long over by then and Emby was restarted at least once when 4.0.0.2 was pushed to the docker hub this morning, so I can't say how long the first scan took to complete.

The above logs are from a clone of my Emby VM I created today to test the migration path, using a pre-update snapshot like yourself.

Hi,

2019-01-17 12:30:55.812 Info App: Deleting item, Type: Movie, Name: Some Movie, Path: /MOViES/Some.Movie2018.1080p.BluRay.x264-SomeGroup/Some.Movie.2018.1080p.BluRay.x264-SomeGroup.mkv, Id: 46011
2019-01-17 12:30:55.847 Error App: Error in ItemRemoved event handler
	*** Error Report ***
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ReportItemRemoved(BaseItem item, BaseItem parent)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.ReportItemRemoved(BaseItem item, BaseItem parent)</pre>

Once the database is empty, emby rescans the library and starts adding them again one by one.

This migration path leaves a lot to be desired, since it destroys all manual metadata changes and requires re-identification of all items that were previously manually identified.

Is this expected behavior or a bug?

The precursor to the deletion event seems to be the validation of the media library, which throws some errors as well. Following log excerpt happens just before the snippet above:

2019-01-17 12:30:52.319 Info App: Validating media library
2019-01-17 12:30:52.433 Info TaskManager: Refresh Channels Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.434 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.462 Info TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Refresh Users
2019-01-17 12:30:52.462 Info TaskManager: Queueing task RefreshUsersMetadata
2019-01-17 12:30:52.462 Info TaskManager: Executing Refresh Users
2019-01-17 12:30:52.500 Info TaskManager: Queueing task ServerSyncScheduledTask
2019-01-17 12:30:52.500 Info TaskManager: Convert media Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.501 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.558 Info TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Log file cleanup
2019-01-17 12:30:52.558 Info TaskManager: Queueing task DeleteLogFileTask
2019-01-17 12:30:52.558 Info TaskManager: Executing Log file cleanup
2019-01-17 12:30:52.566 Info TaskManager: Log file cleanup Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.579 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.771 Info TaskManager: Refresh Users Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.772 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.882 Info TaskManager: Cache file cleanup Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.883 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.924 Info TaskManager: Cloud & Folder Sync Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.925 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:52.959 Info TaskManager: Executing Cloud & Folder Sync
2019-01-17 12:30:52.961 Info TaskManager: Cloud & Folder Sync Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:52.962 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:53.078 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:53.112 Info TaskManager: Check for plugin updates Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
2019-01-17 12:30:53.113 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:30:53.360 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***

2019-01-17 12:30:53.380 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***

2019-01-17 12:30:53.386 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***

2019-01-17 12:30:53.395 Error App: Error in ItemUpdated event handler
	*** Error Report ***

2019-01-17 12:30:53.598 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:54.292 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:54.537 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:54.813 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:55.171 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:55.329 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc
2019-01-17 12:30:55.637 Info HttpClient: POST https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc</pre>

For now I rolled back to 3.5.3.

Besides the above: loving the new speed and features of 4.x. Great job!

Best,

Hein

You need to get your plugins updated following the server update. Please see the release announcement for more info:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-447-announcing-emby-server-40/

Thanks.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for not providing the full log. Could have avoided this post.

Updating the plugins is one of the first things Emby does after migrating the docker from 3.5.3.0 to 4.0.0.2:

<pre>
2019-01-17 12:29:55.152 Info TaskManager: StartupTrigger fired for task: Check for plugin updates
2019-01-17 12:29:55.154 Info TaskManager: Queueing task PluginUpdateTask
2019-01-17 12:29:55.154 Info TaskManager: StartupTrigger fired for task: Check for application updates
2019-01-17 12:29:55.154 Info TaskManager: Queueing task SystemUpdateTask
2019-01-17 12:29:55.164 Info TaskManager: Executing Check for plugin updates
2019-01-17 12:29:55.164 Info TaskManager: Executing Check for application updates
2019-01-17 12:29:55.187 Info HttpClient: GET https://www.mb3admin.com/admin/service/EmbyPackages.json
2019-01-17 12:29:55.188 Info HttpClient: GET https://api.github.com/repos/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases
2019-01-17 12:29:55.204 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /MUSiC
2019-01-17 12:29:56.519 Info TaskManager: Check for application updates Completed after 0 minute(s) and 1 seconds
2019-01-17 12:29:56.563 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks
2019-01-17 12:29:56.685 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/AutoBoxSets.dll_1.2.2.exe
2019-01-17 12:29:56.926 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: Auto Box Sets 1.2.2 Release
2019-01-17 12:29:56.953 Info App: App needs to be restarted.
2019-01-17 12:29:56.963 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/IMVDb.dll_1.0.5.exe
2019-01-17 12:29:57.013 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: IMVDb 1.0.5 Release
2019-01-17 12:29:57.014 Info App: App needs to be restarted.
2019-01-17 12:29:57.014 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/Emby.Kodi.SyncQueue.dll_2.0.9.0.exe
2019-01-17 12:29:57.089 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: Kodi Companion 2.0.9.0 Release
2019-01-17 12:29:57.089 Info App: App needs to be restarted.
2019-01-17 12:29:57.090 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/EmbyReports.dll_1.0.24.exe
2019-01-17 12:29:57.166 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: Reports 1.0.24 Release
2019-01-17 12:29:57.167 Info App: App needs to be restarted.
2019-01-17 12:29:57.167 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/MediaBrowser.Plugins.TimeLordMovies.dll_19.01.07.1351.exe
2019-01-17 12:29:57.204 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: TimeLordMovies 19.01.07.1351 Release
2019-01-17 12:29:57.204 Info App: App needs to be restarted.
2019-01-17 12:29:57.205 Info HttpClient: GetTempFileResponse url: https://embydata.com/admin/service/packageFiles/MediaBrowser.Plugins.TimeLord.dll_19.01.07.1053.exe
2019-01-17 12:29:57.245 Info InstallationManager: Plugin updated: TimeLordTV 19.01.07.1053 Release
2019-01-17 12:29:57.245 Info App: App needs to be restarted.
2019-01-17 12:29:57.245 Info TaskManager: Check for plugin updates Completed after 0 minute(s) and 2 seconds</pre>

This happens before Emby starts deleting movies, see timestamp.

So I guess the problem is that Emby needs a restart for the plugin updates to take effect, but before said restart can occur, the automatic database update trigger fires and in the process my movie database gets nixed by an incompatible plugin?

Going to disable all plugins and scheduled tasks and try migration from 3.5.3.0 to 4.0.0.2 again to test this hypothesis. Will get back to you on this shortly.

SlartyFartBlast

I upgraded to 4.02 and this, amongst other issues, has happened to me. Log file indicates deleting the files then attempting to re-download. Took most of the night so totally stoked. Had to ffmpeg scan each and every feature/extras as well. Plugins were all updated as soon as the server admin page became available. Server OS restarted as well.

I have a raft of other issues post upgrade that I need to start a new thread. Really disappointing "upgrade" to say the least. 

Yeah.. still no dice for me either :/

I restored my 3.5.3.0 snapshot, disabled all plugins and scheduled tasks and updated to 4.0.0.2.

After emby finishes upgrading the database on first start and becomes available, everything is fine and all libraries are migrated nicely.

But as soon as I start a sync of my movie library, all movies get deleted again.

This time without outdated plugins and errors:

2019-01-17 19:34:11.508 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.0.107. Time: 19ms. http://emby:8096/Items/f137a2dd21xbc1b99aa5c0f6bf02a805/Refresh?Recursive=true&ImageRefreshMode=Default&MetadataRefreshMode=Default&ReplaceAllImages=false&ReplaceAllMetadata=false
2019-01-17 19:34:13.963 Info App: Deleting item, Type: Movie, Name: Some Movie, Path: /MOViES/Some.Movie.2018.1080p.BluRay.x264-SomeGroup/Some.Movie.2018.1080p.BluRay.x264-SomeGroup.mkv, Id: 46007</pre>
[...]

Are you able to reproduce this issue, Luke?

Any advice on how to further debug?

Best,

hein

Edited by hein

I have restarted the server (OS and all)

I will check logs when it comes back up and see what happens

Sorry I haven't updated for a while

So after disabling Subtitle downloading and restarting the server after the 3.5.3 to 4.0.0.2 update, the Library scan completed

So far so good

And if anyone reads this that uses Emby for Kodi, please update your plugin in Kodi to version 3.1.44a