Should I be using HW transcode?

twiggy2cents

twiggy2cents

I'm sure this is probably a duplicate question but with 4.0 pushing better HW transcode, should I be using it if I dont need to?  The only graphics I have on the server is intel integrated graphics.   Assuming it works fine, if it is using all the H/W capability and another stream starts will it use CPU transcode for that one or is it all H/W?

samuelqwe

I'm sure this is probably a duplicate question but with 4.0 pushing better HW transcode, should I be using it if I dont need to? The only graphics I have on the server is intel integrated graphics. Assuming it works fine, if it is using all the H/W capability and another stream starts will it use CPU transcode for that one or is it all H/W?

I would enable it, because the difference in quality between software transcoding and hardware transcoding is very minimal (at least, it usually is), and it takes off some of the load off of the cpu.

It will use HW transcoding as much as it can, until that encoder/decoder can’t handle any more streams. Once that happens, it’ll move on to the next encoder/decoder, or software transcoding if there is no HW encoder/decoder left.

If it causes too many issues, simply disable it.

Edited by samuelqwe