Renaming files causes extracted thumbnails to disappear

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by Richard Branches,

Richard Branches

Just to clarify, I have everything up to date (server, emby apps, etc).

I found this issue in the previous version (3.5) of the windows server but I decided to wait for the new one (4.0) to verify if the issue was still present, which it is unfortunately.

I created a "mixed content" library and put some video files there, started the scanning process and every file got its own thumbnail as usual without downloading metadata from the internet but extracted directly from the video files.

Then I renamed one of the files in the folder where they are stored, I went to Emby server to rescan the library again to update it, the file with the new name appeared but thumbnails in every file were gone after the scanning process, including the one I renamed which had it previously, even if I add new files to the folder and rescan the library again, no more thumbnails are extracted from the old files or new ones.

Removing the library and creating a new one doesn't fix the issue either.

Edited by delacosta78

Happy2Play

What are you calling Thumbnails?

Are there any other process going on?  The items could be in a queue.

Richard Branches

What are you calling Thumbnails?

The server extracts a snapshot of a keyframe of the video and present it as a thumbnail, since I'm not using any metadata downloader it then extracts its own image from the video itself. I can't show you an screenshot since I only see a default image created by emby, like a negative tape used in movies, I don't know how to call it.

Are there any other process going on?  The items could be in a queue.

No, it never worked again after I renamed the file.

Richard Branches

They are personal videos so their names are hidden, it's just to give you an idea, on the website they appear in colors but in Emby for Android TV it appears as the film tape or whatever, obviously when they have a thumbnail, it appears everywhere as it should:

5c3e982778097_thumbnail.png

Happy2Play

Only a log would say.  But when you rename a indexed item that old itemid is removed as the server no longer sees it and the item is assigned a new itemid.  When this happens all existing metadata and images are removed also as the database linked item no longer exists (assuming you are not saving with media).  Sounds like the item is not refreshing properly.

Does doing a Refresh metadata-Search for miss or Replace all fix the issue?

• Solution
Richard Branches

I found the solution to the problem:

I didn't know that if I deactivate "Screen Grabber", Emby server won't extract the thumbnails:

5c3e9f9a049db_screengrabber.png

Moreover, I was using the "Mixed Content" library for personal videos when I should use " Home videos & photos" instead, so I turned on those options, rescan the library and the thumbnails are back!, I really don't remember turning off those two options...  :blink:

• Like 1

Richard Branches

The only problem I've always seen is I have to rescan the library twice for those thumbnails to appear...

If you rename files then they become brand new library items, and the extractions will need to happen again.

Richard Branches

If you rename files then they become brand new library items, and the extractions will need to happen again.

Yes but it wasn't working for some reason and I don't remember having turned off the "Screen Grabber" option. I will make more tests and I'll let you know if something breaks.