I need help with Live TV.

LqHnyBear

LqHnyBear

I finally made the decision to cut the cord and am looking for a way to setup live tv in emby. What services are out there that work with emby without needing to buy a tv tuner and pay my cable company for tv service? Mind you I am looking for something like slingtv some live streaming subscription service not for free alternatives. I'd like to be able to view live tv but also DVR things all through Emby. Is this even possible?

LqHnyBear

Have you looked into iptv?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

iptv from where? Does it work seamlessly with Emby?

wulfeman6869

I use it solely for it live tv viewing. There's lots out there for around $15 a month.

LqHnyBear

I use it solely for it live tv viewing. There's lots out there for around $15 a month.

Are you able to also DVR things in Emby with any of those services? And does the guide work in Emby with them? Can you give me the name of a service that you know works with it?

wulfeman6869

Yes I use the dvr. It will record tv series as well. I know vaders and beast tv work with emby. Google search for boommedia.

LqHnyBear

Yes I use the dvr. It will record tv series as well. I know vaders and beast tv work with emby. Google search for boommedia.

How reliable are the streams? Do they buffer a lot? I've had issues with m3u services constantly stopping for a second or two then playing again. I know it's not my connection, I'm on a 1000 Mbps fiber connection.

wulfeman6869

Vaders goes through some growing pains so I would say 90 percent up time. Buffering isn't an issue though. They run through spells of having issues because they are the most popular. I'm on 250mbs and it works great.. Beast tv is very stable. 99 percent uptime and no buffering. The thing about beast tv is I haven't found a way to filter their vod so it shows up on the tv guide first. Vader can be filtered easily.

bungee91

What services are out there that work with emby without needing to buy a tv tuner and pay my cable company for tv service

So, does that mean you're willing to buy a tuner as long as you don't have to pay a cable company?

I ask because a HDHomerun OTA tuner such as the older HDHR4 or Quatro /Duo plus a subscription to their own IPTV service I am told is a pretty painless setup, and works directly with Emby.

You can then also (if wanted) hookup an antenna, and get local channels and such with the same device.

I think this would be a more straight forward/easier solution to setup, however I am not saying specifically it is better, or that you're not up for the other route suggested.

• Like 2

LqHnyBear

So, does that mean you're willing to buy a tuner as long as you don't have to pay a cable company?

I ask because a HDHomerun OTA tuner such as the older HDHR4 or Quatro /Duo plus a subscription to their own IPTV service I am told is a pretty painless setup, and works directly with Emby.

You can then also (if wanted) hookup an antenna, and get local channels and such with the same device.

I think this would be a more straight forward/easier solution to setup, however I am not saying specifically it is better, or that you're not up for the other route suggested.

Yeah that sounds like a good option for me. Is everything controlled through Emby, like dvr etc? Is there an emby plugin I'd need to install with it?

This would be my vote as well.  It really depends on what you are interested in.  Do you need access to local programming on ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, CW, etc for sports, news or other local programming?  If so an antenna and a Quatro tuner (one time purchase) is the way to go.  If you want some cable channels on top of those then you can get LEGAL IPTV from Silicon Dust (same company that makes the Quatro) for $35 per month ($25 with coupon).  

A list of channels can be found here: https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

As noted these are LEGAL IPTV channels so you don't have to worry about VPNs or your cable provider getting on your case about running/using illegal streams like some of those already mentioned in this thread.

Emby will have EPG providers out-of-the-box for the OTA and Premium TV as well making it super simple to setup.  The Quatro is a 4 tuner device and will allow you to view/record any combination of Premium TV or OTA at the same time.  If you added a 2nd Quatro then you could have up to 4 Premium TV recordings at any one time and up to 8 total views/recording at the same time which should be plenty.  A single Quatro should work for most people unless you tend to record a lot or have multiple people in the house that watch different things at the same time.

• Like 1

LqHnyBear

I think HDHomerun Quadro x 2 is going to be my best bet. Then I can watch and record 8 chans, it just sucks you need to pay $34.99 twice to use two boxes. Wish they offered a multibox discount.

Wait, why pay twice?  Premium TV can be used by any number of boxes linked to your account but only 4 streams.  Those 4 streams could be on one box, two boxes or 4 boxes, doesn't matter.  Also search for a coupon code to signup for $24.95.

So if you have two Quatro device you want to split your antenna feed into both devices so they can both be used for OTA.  Make sure they both show up when you go to http://my.hdhomerun.com/ (from your home network).  If they both show up then signup (with coupon) for Premium TV and both boxes will be activated for use.  If you were to ever add another device this can be added with no additional payment as well but will still only allow up to 4 streams.

Basically you get 4 streams for the monthly fee and it doesn't matter how many devices you have.

Make sense?

How's that for a multibox discount?  LOL

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

LqHnyBear

Wow that’s great. I tried contacting their customer service and at first they told me I needed to pay $34.99 per live stream at the same time being watched. They didn’t know what they were talking about. Lol

Guess it’s time to find a good 80-100 mile indoor ota antenna.

• Like 1

If you're in the USA, send me a PM with your zipcode and I'll check out your area for for to get an idea of what antenna you will need.

Can you do an outdoor antenna?  They work much better if you aren't in close proximity to the towers.  Also the tower arrangement matters.  By this I mean you can't use a highly directional antenna if you have towers in multiple directions.  That's what I'll check for you.

BTW, 80 to 100 miles isn't likely unless it's over water.  However those antennas are usually good for 40 to 50 miles of real terrain if mounted at the proper height.

I'm picking up channels from 43 miles to 84 miles in different directions using multiple antennas.  I get 3 markets this way which I use for sports.

If you are handy with tools and can follow building directions you can make your own outside antenna that is better then anything you can purchase and better made as well.

BTW, you can start with one Quatro to get going and add the 2nd later when you actually need it and confirm everything is working as expected.

LqHnyBear

Thank you. I already checked on www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps for my exact address. I was thinking about this one as I’ll have to do an indoor antenna but I’m in the boonies surrounded by nothing but lakes so it should be good I hope.

post-1023-0-33108500-1547823012_thumb.png

LqHnyBear

Here's a question though. Do you know if with that quatro I can watch 4 OTA broadcasts and 4 streams at the same time? or is it just a combination of 4, like 2 OTA and 2 Streams?

bungee91

Here's a question though. Do you know if with that quatro I can watch 4 OTA broadcasts and 4 streams at the same time? or is it just a combination of 4, like 2 OTA and 2 Streams?

Every stream (OTA or IPTV) is accounted for as a tuner allocation. It doesn't matter the combination, just that you have four to use with a Quatro, or two with a Duo. Make sense?

Thank you. I already checked on www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps for my exact address. I was thinking about this one as I’ll have to do an indoor antenna but I’m in the boonies surrounded by nothing but lakes so it should be good I hope.

Probably a lot of the channels you will want (NBC, FOX, PBS, CBS) are VHF-Hi channels which is likely going to require a different antenna then what you'll find commonly available.  At least you don't have any VHF-Lo channels which require the large antennas you see mounted on towers.

That graph doesn't really give you much useful information as you don't know the direction of the towers.  For example they could all be north of you, half north and half south, etc.  Nor does it take obstacles or terrain into account which are big factors.

This will be a bit better: http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

put your exact address in and it will give you a result page.  Post the URL back here in the forums which will hide you address but give us most of the info we need to help you with antenna selection.

Also, why do you have to use an indoor antenna?  The same antenna mounted indoor vs outdoor will be attenuated about 10 to 15 dB.  Every 3 dB is 1/2 the signal, so 6 dB is 1/4 the signal, 9 dB is 1/8 the signal and 12 dB is 1/16 the signal.  So essentially you give up over 10 dB just mounting the antenna indoors so you can remove 10 dB right off the bat from any true antenna gain figures.  I said "true" there because a lot of antennas come with an amp but that doesn't make up for antenna gain.  You can't improve what you don't get.  You can "boost" the signal with an amp however so you can have longer cable runs.

So it's important to know the direction of the different towers you'll need for the channels you want, the spectrum they use (VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, UHF), the power or NM of the station at your location with an antenna directly pointing at it as well as obstacles that block or could reflect the signal such as hills, mountains, buildings and even trees!

LqHnyBear

hmm it's as I thought most chans are NE and SW of me and I'll be forced to mount the indoor antenna on the SE corner of my home. I bet my pickup is going to be spotty at best.

post-1023-0-49936400-1548025054_thumb.jpg

hmm it's as I thought most chans are NE and SW of me and I'll be forced to mount the indoor antenna on the SE corner of my home. I bet my pickup is going to be spotty at best.

Can you post the URL link for that vs the screen shot?

Never mind, don't need the URL as I know this territory and where you are located.

One antenna isn't going to do it for you inside as almost all of your channels are 1 and 2 edge reception.

Your SW channels are going to be your best bet at around 36 miles but you need an antenna with a lot of gain in both UHF and VHF-HI and preferably a directional high gain antenna in both bands.

Your can basically forget about NE channels at 53+ miles with an inside antenna for reliable use.

Curious, what is your obstacle to mounting an antenna outside?

What kind of structure is your living environment walls?  Metal, metal siding, brick?

Do you have an attic with a window in it with no screen?  You may be able to mount a big antenna there to overcome some of the loss.

Your situation is doable but needs to be done right.

PS if you could mount an antenna on the roof you could use a high gain antenna without a reflector and probably get both the SW and NE channels from one antenna.