Grouping libraries on home pages

GothsterC

GothsterC

Hello,

I just updated to Emby 4 on Windows 10.  My testing is using the web client on Chrome.

Under Display or Home Screen there used to be a way to group libraries into a single Movies or TV Shows grouping.  This would appear both as a folder that you could click and go through all of your movies regardless of what library they were in.  There was also a Folders view.  For Latest Media, everything would also be grouped together.  Of course if a user didn't have acccess to a particular library, those would be excluded from this grouped Movies view.

I looked and cannot find the way (if there is still a way) to do this.  So instead I have Home and Favorites at the top of the Home Screen.

Then I have a gazillion and one folders for each library and a gazillion and one Latest <Library Name>

I know there must be a way to set it up like it used to be because this is not usable.  I want to browse through all of the movies and not have to remember which library it is in.

Please help.

• Like 1

GothsterC

Yes, I just found that.  I will give it a try.

i read it but didn't realize what it was until I saw this issue.

Thanks

GothsterC

I'm sorry, but I am an absolute idiot and cannot make any sense of how to use this merged library thing.

This is what I have for example:

I have these libraries called:

Kids' Movies (Folders A, B, C)

Teens' Movies (Folders D, E, F)

Grownups' Movies (Folders G, H, I)

Each library contains the relevant folders with the movies.

Then I have 3 users: Kids, Teens, and Grownups.

The Kids can see the Kids's Movies.

The Teens can see the Kids's Movies and the Teens' Movies

The Grownups can see the Kids's Movies, Teens' Movies, and Grownups' Movies

In the past I had a single group called Movies that depending on the user would allow you to see which ever libraries you had permission to view.

i would click on each library that the user had access to and group them automatically by content type.  So the Movies would all go into the Movies folder and the TV Shows would all go into the TV shows folder.

This folder based access thing makes it sound like instead of creating the libraries as I had before I need to create a separate library for each user like:

Grownups Movies: (Folders A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I)  Except there aren't just 9 folders, there are dozens.

I need help with this.  I just want it to look like before.

Hi.  Did you go through the full example in that document?

It explains that you would create a single library with all of the folders defined and then just give access to the proper folders to the proper users.

That should be a lot simpler than it was before...

GothsterC

Yes, I think I'm getting it.

I'm supposed to remove all of my libraries, correct?

Then replace them by a single one for Movies, a single one for TV shows, etc.?

Then go into each user and uncheck those they shouldn't have access to?  I want to make sure since this is a HUGE job.  I have dozens of folders I will have to set up.

Thanks.

GothsterC

I went ahead and deleted my old libraries and created a new one called Movies, but for some strange reason, I get the library appearing twice on the home screen and in the user access screen.  Also all of my deleted libraries still show up in the user access screen even though the libraries are now gone from the library screen.

Basically everything is now completely messed up.  How can I get back to a clean system with no libraries?  I will need to start all over again.  Should I uninstall and reinstall and then spend the entire night setting this up again?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Yes, I think I'm getting it.

I'm supposed to remove all of my libraries, correct?

Then replace them by a single one for Movies, a single one for TV shows, etc.?

Then go into each user and uncheck those they shouldn't have access to?  I want to make sure since this is a HUGE job.  I have dozens of folders I will have to set up.

Thanks.

Yes, this is correct.

Now, as to what may have happened to you...

Did you let a library scan complete after deleting your original libraries?  How about after creating the new ones?

When you created the new ones, did you by any chance hit the "Save" button twice thinking that nothing happened the first time?

GothsterC

Thank you for your patience.

I removed all of my libraries and users.  Then I restarted the server.  After scanning, I'm at least not seeing the duplicate libraries anymore.

I'm going to rebuild the libraries and let you know, but so far things are looking up.

BTW, I can see the virtue of this new approach now that I am setting it up.

Thanks

jraaholt

So what would the procedure be when i have multiple movie folder - and they need to auto meta from different languages - and want them to show as one folder? As I see it this is not possible anymore as the language settings is set at library and not folder level correct?

Thanks,

John

So what would the procedure be when i have multiple movie folder - and they need to auto meta from different languages - and want them to show as one folder? As I see it this is not possible anymore as the language settings is set at library and not folder level correct?

Thanks,

John

Hi.  Yes, the one thing that the other solution provided for that this one does not is separate settings for the different locations.

Hello.

OK I understand that I need to setup an new library to contain all the folders that I want grouped and delete the old libraries.

Could you please tell me how I can keep different languages grouped? Currently I have the 3 movie libraries configured to display the description in 3 languages.

In the old version I simply grouped them at Display level and that worked perfectly.

If I create  new library to contain the folders from the old libraries:

- Will I keep the played/unplayed settings for each episode/movie?

- Will I keep the chosen images for seasons and episodes?

- Can I keep the indiviudal custom images I have added?

- Will I keep the "locks"

- How do I keep the changes I made to the descriptions ?

Thanks,

Marc.

Could you please tell me how I can keep different languages grouped? Currently I have the 3 movie libraries configured to display the description in 3 languages.

Apologies but this is the one thing you will not be able to do. This will require three libraries.

As far as your other questions, do you have local metadata (nfo) files?

In my opinion this is two steps back.

Why remove functionalty that works?

I do know that most people are unilingual but that should not be a reason to remove the ability to have the original description instead of a  best effort translation.

NFO:  No I don't. I didn't want to clutter my hard drive with a lot of tiny files that  contain information that can be better stored in a database.

Is the played/unplayed stored in a NFO?

Any hope of seeing the old way reappear next to the new way?

we plan to introduce a smart views/playlists feature in the future and that would allow you to do something like this.

jboydude

New Folder-based Access Control

(was also mentioned in the announcement)

This new method is horrible. If a new folder gets created for a recorded show, your telling me I have to add that folder manually every time? I have 2 folders shared for TV. They are both under TV Series. Now I see the parent folder of each TV share. I used to just see it as 2 combined library.

jboydude

This new method is horrible. If a new folder gets created for a recorded show, your telling me I have to add that folder manually every time? I have 2 folders shared for TV. They are both under TV Series. Now I see the parent folder of each TV share. I used to just see it as 2 combined library.

Never mind. I understand how it works now. Not sure why anyone would want to see the main share but at least there is a way around it.

jboydude

Never mind. I understand how it works now. Not sure why anyone would want to see the main share but at least there is a way around it.

Ok so it is still horrible. I want it like it was before. I use the classic setting in the media center version.

I want to see my folders within the movies directories.

Example. E:\movies\Action I use to see an actual action folder.

Now everything is combined into 1 massive list.

Ok so it is still horrible. I want it like it was before. I use the classic setting in the media center version.

I want to see my folders within the movies directories.

Example. E:\movies\Action I use to see an actual action folder.

Now everything is combined into 1 massive list.

Hi.  Make sure you've upgraded to the latest beta version of EMC.

jboydude

Hi.  Make sure you've upgraded to the latest beta version of EMC.

I was and I did double check and I am. I am not talking adding movies by genre back in. I am asking to re-enable the legacy folder view which is also gone in emby theater and pretty much all apps and web browsers.