Share Permissions while running as Service

smokey7722

smokey7722

I did some searching but did not see any talk of this but has there been any discussion about adding an option within the server's configuration for each network shares permissions?  If you run the server as a service I have found I need to have the user it runs as, having permissions to the share, however I have my users configuration a bit more strict here.  Below is an example of my configuration:

DNS:

\\fileserver is the hostname of the fileserver

\\fileserver_ro is an additional dns entry pointing to fileserver's ip

\\fileserver_rw is an additional dns entry pointing to fileserver's ip

Since Windows can't map the same hostname using different usernames, the above was my fix to allow different permissions to be available using the RO and RW users.  On login I have a script that runs the following net use commands which sets up the basic permission access for each.

net use \\fileserver_ro "password" /User:ROUser

net use \\fileserver_rw "password" /User:RWUser

If I access the following path then, it will be using the ROUser which will not allow any write access as needed:

\\fileserver_ro\TV Shows

\\fileserver_ro\Music

\\fileserver_ro\Movies

Or to get to the MB servers configured paths it needs write access to:

\\fileserver_rw\MediaBrowserBackEnd\Cache

\\fileserver_rw\MediaBrowserBackEnd\IBN

\\fileserver_rw\MediaBrowserBackEnd\Metadata

\\fileserver_rw\MediaBrowserBackEnd\TrancodingTemp

What I would love to see if a way to do something similar in the server.  I'd understand not having a way to globally do it like I have been doing but if there was a username and password field for each media location or a way to create a list of network users and then when creating a media location, choosing one of the users (so you don't potentially have to type the user/pass in multiple times if its the same user being used for multiple) then that would allow the MB server to run as pretty much any user on the server when running it as a service.  My problem now when running it as a service is I am unable to handle multiple usernames.  I'd love to run MB as a service so I don't need a user logged in on the server but this permissions issue seems to be my main blocker.

If I am missing something insanely obvious on how to handle this type of config, I apologize and please let me know that!!

• 2 weeks later...
smokey7722

Any feedback on allowing custom authentication when setting up the locations on your network?

FrostByte

Don't you have any accounts on your file server that can both read and write to those shares?  Because the account that starts the service on the server is what Media Browser is using to access and read/write to your share so the account you start the service with has to have read/write permissions to your server's shares also.  So the same account/password needs to be on both

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/804-unable-to-access-media-when-running-server-as-a-service/

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1