58 replies to this topic

#41 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153496 posts
  • Local time: 12:21 AM

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

Tags do work but I'm sure he prefers a method that will just work.

#42 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15753 posts
  • Local time: 05:21 AM
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

Tags do work but I'm sure he prefers a method that will just work.

We agree, but seeing as that seems to be a long way off, an interim solution is a must.

Having to set up an external player each time you want to watch a cropped HDR movie, is a bit of an overkill.

Using Plex is an alternative for us that have both servers installed.
  • vdatanet likes this

#43 NorthDegree OFFLINE  

NorthDegree

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

I just signed up, and really like emby but the HDR issue is a deal breaker for myself.

#44 Coxeroni OFFLINE  

Coxeroni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

Just don't download cropped files and you are fine ;)
  • FrostByte and Dibbes like this

#45 KaptainCed OFFLINE  

KaptainCed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2019 - 08:47 PM

For home purposes I use an Oppo UDP203, they stopped producing them some months ago but it is still easy to find. You can also check for the big brother: Oppo UDP205.

It really makes wonder, no transcoding needed and perfect 4k HDR reproduction at full mb/s. 

Whatever I throw At it is getting trough without any hiccups. Well the only drawback I have is waiting 20 secs for the movie to start because of loading! (Hereditary 4k HDR 70mb/s)

So if the goal is ONLY to watch movies/series in UHD dolby vision, dolby atmos and more, that is the beast you need! ;) And it double with the most silent blu-ray 4k player + super CD I have ever heard:

https://www.oppodigi...lu-ray-udp-203/

https://www.oppodigi...lu-ray-udp-205/

Ps: the only other choice I would personally recommend is the Nvidia Shield: Cheap and reliable, hopefully you don't need to transcode because you are loosing HDR capabilities.

Any updates that will throw HDR,dolby vision r even hdr 10+ when ready in the transcoding? Like light transcoding (go from 70mb/s to 25 mb/s but stay in 4k)?

#46 MagicDoubleM OFFLINE  

MagicDoubleM

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 06:21 AM

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:10 AM

The FireTVStick4k and 2nd gen FireTVCube can actually pass-through anything up to DolbyVision with DolbyAtmos and properly trigger that stuff on my LG B8-series TV. That combo only works with some official demo-files, since there are still problems with muxing those streams together properly on the end-user side of things - files made with Dolby's mp4muxer and DVDFab do not trigger DolbyVision here, no matter what level i use (but they do trigger it on Emby's webOS player running on that LG TV). So, maybe the parsing can be fixed on the clients side? At least to get DolbyVision triggered? 

Basic HDR10 works fine, tone-mapping HDR>SDR via external player like VLC also works.

But in general DolbyVision/DolbyAtmos can be done and Emby does handle proper streams well even on those cheaper android devices.

Ps: the only other choice I would personally recommend is the Nvidia Shield: Cheap and reliable, hopefully you don't need to transcode because you are loosing HDR capabilities.

Any updates that will throw HDR,dolby vision r even hdr 10+ when ready in the transcoding? Like light transcoding (go from 70mb/s to 25 mb/s but stay in 4k)?

Hmmm, in most cases i'd prefer to keep at least HDR10 intact and instead sacrifice 4k. There are so many movies, which won more in regards of color-fidelity/contras than in fine-details, since Hollywood is still not doing proper 4k-DI's in masses.

Maybe that's a thing that should become options on the client side?

BTW, it looks like transcoding even DolbyVision could be possible, since x265 does support that now. Also ffmpeg seems to have added the ability to mux TrueHD into mp4-files.

As a side-effect of all that, HDR10+ to DV might bei thinkable and interesting too.

#47 blumamba OFFLINE  

blumamba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

Has any one used the newest version of the Shield Pro which supports Dolby Vision, Atmos, and HDR?  It allegedly passes through and upscales anything 720p and higher extremely well? 

Can anyone confirm that this is true and share your thoughts? 

Does anyone know why it won't upscale 480P content? I still have older DVDs that are not on blu ray even!

I know for a fact that algorithms have existed that have done a phenomenal job scaling 480i/p to 720P.  That was the first gen XBOX modified using the XBMC (aka Kody) which was then upscaled by my Samsung DLP/Led hybrid to 1080p.  So why cant that be done with todays advancements?

Thanks for the input

#48 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15753 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:12 PM

Has any one used the newest version of the Shield Pro which supports Dolby Vision, Atmos, and HDR? It allegedly passes through and upscales anything 720p and higher extremely well?
Can anyone confirm that this is true and share your thoughts?

@FrostByte?

#49 FrostByte OFFLINE  

FrostByte

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 4924 posts
  • LocationThe UP

Posted 17 February 2020 - 02:29 PM

According to nvidia AI upscaling doesn't work on video less than 480p.  So I read that as it will work on 480p and higher.

https://www.nvidia.c...v/ai-upscaling/

Anything below that it will use enhanced upscaling, but it still upscales.

As far as the upscaling goes, I think it looks darn good on my 1080p videos, I think even better than my 2018 TV does.  I usually have higher bitrate stuff though and I'm sure the quality of the input determines how good the upscaling is.

• CBers likes this

#50 blumamba OFFLINE  

blumamba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:32 AM

I have read conflicting statements by Nvidia,  They quote only 720P and higher in one spot than in another they state 480P?  And from what I can gleen from other sources its 50/50, so hence the question?

I read it that way too, but conflicting statements had me wondering.

Thanks

#51 Dibbes OFFLINE  

Dibbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1184 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:12 AM

I have read conflicting statements by Nvidia,  They quote only 720P and higher in one spot than in another they state 480P?  And from what I can gleen from other sources its 50/50, so hence the question?

I read it that way too, but conflicting statements had me wondering.

Thanks

A little disclaimer first: None of the below comes from nvidia, it's all personal opinions/observations

It will do 480p (the device supports it and shows so when running 480p content), however, there are some caveats, I noticed. To deliver a proper upscaled imaged to 720p (and even 1080p), the 480p content should be uncompressed and high-quality. As soon as the content has even a bit of compression, you´ll notice this immediately. Also, details may look too smooth (for a lack of a better word) as those are extrapolated. In other words, do not expect your SD content to be magically transformed into proper blu-ray quality, It looks a lot better than without the upscaling, but it really is no substitute.

480p to 4k is pretty much a  disaster, this mainly because there is too much detail missing for the device to extrapolate properly. (4k has about 96% more detail than 480p and I haven't seen the tech yet that can extrapolate this properly). 720p to 4k is not as disastrous as SD to 4k, but in my opinion, it's not very pretty.

All in all, the Shield 2019 does a proper upscale 480p to 720p and 720p to 1080p though, very watchable.

Edited by Dibbes, 18 February 2020 - 06:56 AM.

• CBers likes this

#52 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13712 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 PM

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

A little disclaimer first: None of the below comes from nvidia, it's all personal opinions/observations

480p to 4k is pretty much a  disaster, this mainly because there is too much detail missing for the device to extrapolate properly. (4k has about 96% more detail than 480p and I haven't seen the tech yet that can extrapolate this properly). 720p to 4k is not as disastrous as SD to 4k, but in my opinion, it's not very pretty.

Get an HTPC :D

https://emby.media/c...-test/?p=842285

#53 Dibbes OFFLINE  

Dibbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1184 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:10 AM

Can you do the same with 480p?  ;)

I have to admit, the quality of that image is not too bad at all... Still, it's not Bluray as can be seen quite clearly in the details, especially in the last pic...

#54 vdatanet OFFLINE  

vdatanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1924 posts
  • LocationCalafell, Spain

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:43 AM

Can you do the same with 480p?  ;)

In my land there's an idiomatic expression "D’on no n’hi ha, no en raja", in english we can say "you can't get blood from a stone"

• Dibbes likes this

#55 Dibbes OFFLINE  

Dibbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1184 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

In my land there's an idiomatic expression "D’on no n’hi ha, no en raja", in english we can say "you can't get blood from a stone"

quant temps que he escoltat aixo... jeje (vaig estar vivitn a Barcelona per a uns anys)

Anyway, that was pretty much my whole point when I wrote this:

All in all, the Shield 2019 does a proper upscale 480p to 720p and 720p to 1080p though, very watchable.

Edited by Dibbes, 18 February 2020 - 11:24 AM.

#56 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13712 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

Upscaling isn't meant to improve picture quality. It's designed to maintain the same quality at higher resolutions. Image changes are done using filters, like edge enhancement, debanding and artifact removal. Some upscalers will help with that, but that isn't their main function. Pixel interpolation is what they do.

Edited by Doofus, 18 February 2020 - 01:32 PM.

• Dibbes likes this

#57 blumamba OFFLINE  

blumamba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

It will do 480p (the device supports it and shows so when running 480p content), however, there are some caveats, I noticed. To deliver a proper upscaled imaged to 720p (and even 1080p), the 480p content should be uncompressed and high-quality. As soon as the content has even a bit of compression, you´ll notice this immediately. Also, details may look too smooth (for a lack of a better word) as those are extrapolated. In other words, do not expect your SD content to be magically transformed into proper blu-ray quality, It looks a lot better than without the upscaling, but it really is no substitute.

Great, I just wanted conformation.  I have htpc's and I have noticed that over the past several months none of my sd material (ripped to hevc/mkv HQ) still looked SD.  Where in the past some of it looked awesome, using GTX1060.  I was reading in here that I would need to do some configurations (yup still have'nt got around to the initial configs!) that should solve that.  So no need to complain about that because I have'nt tried it :rolleyes:

If the Shield will do it nicely (from what I have read overall its pretty good) I wont need to spend the extra cash on a htpc and configure!

Thanks again!

Edited by blumamba, 18 February 2020 - 12:19 PM.

#58 Dibbes OFFLINE  

Dibbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1184 posts
  • LocationMadrid, Spain

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:08 PM

Upscaling isn't meant to improve picture quality. It's designed to maintain the same quality at higher resolutions. Image changes are done using filters, like edge enhancement, debanding and artifact removal. Some upscalers will help with that, but that isn't their main function. Pixel interpolation is what they do.

@Doofus I just try to describe what I'm seeing... I don't always have the technical vocabulary though and half the time I need Google to translate into English what you and others are writing here. (I understand the Catalan @vdatanet wrote earlier a lot better than the average technical post on this forum) I'm learning a lot though, so that's good...

Great, I just wanted conformation.  I have htpc's and I have noticed that over the past several months none of my sd material (ripped to hevc/mkv HQ) still looked SD.  Where in the past some of it looked awesome, using GTX1060.  I was reading in here that I would need to do some configurations (yup still have'nt got around to the initial configs!) that should solve that.  So no need to complain about that because I have'nt tried it :rolleyes:

If the Shield will do it nicely (from what I have read overall its pretty good) I wont need to spend the extra cash on a htpc and configure!

Thanks again!

I like my Shield and it really does what it needs to do and then some... for me it exceeded expectation, tbh :-)

Edited by Dibbes, 18 February 2020 - 03:08 PM.

#59 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 13712 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

All good. I just didn't want anyone thinking that upscaling is intended to improve the picture quality. Having said that, I would imagine that Nvidia has probably employed some kind of filter to help with picture quality.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users