Added date?

chjohans

chjohans

Well I'm not american. and I have my regional settings the way they are for a reason. I can't change that just to make MCM and MB3 happy, that would break more important things.

There is a bug somewhere, and this is a classic on for all us that are non-american. "It's working for me" simply isn't proof thta there is no bug :)

Luke. Could you once more please clearify on how you expect the datestring to be formatted?

Pete over at MCM says they're writing according to regional settings, but it does not look like that to me because I I have "/" as date dividers in my regional settings and MCM still writes ".".

But clearly it's nto gonna work very well if MCM wrutes the tag based on the users regional settings and then MB3 reads the tag but expects a spesific setting. This will only work for those that happen to have their regional settings set to that spesific setting MB3 expects.

And that's why I said that this is a classic bug for us non-americans, because the expected setting will then usually be the american settings.

Can we please have a working  solution to this? How about agreeing with MCM on how the data should be written and read? Either agree on a format, or *both* should read and write based on regional setting. That should in theory work, as ling as the user don't change regional settings.

chjohans

Thinking of it, the best solution would be if we could spesify the format of the date string. That should be fairly easy to implement, and it would work for everyone. It is to some extent possible to "guess" based on the dates and times read, but it will be very difficult (read: impossible) to guess if the the date is dd/mm/yy or mm/dd/yy for days less than 13.

So please consider making this configurable, something like how you specify "short date" and "short time" in windows regional settings.

Koleckai Silvestri

Definitely an issue. I don't think anyone disagrees there. Just how it will get fixed is the issue. Luke has been pretty flexible level in getting things fixed in the past.

chjohans

Well, I hope this gets fixed. At first I feel I got dismissed with "this does not seem to be an issue for other MCM users", and it might not be for their "US users".

We don't require US formatting for Dates.  We use the machine's locale settings and standard libraries to parse the date in the proper format.  We aren't parsing it ourselves.  I think the only non-US person having trouble with this date is the one with dots ('.') for separators and that is completely non-standard and, thus, not recognized.  We try very hard to be non US-centric and I think that is born out by the vast number of non-US people using the product successfully.

Luke said he discovered one issue that could cause this date to not be read and has it fixed.  But we still need to figure out how that date is getting saved with the dots because I don't think that will ever be read properly.