Chromecast Audio is dead, what are my options?

BloodyIron

BAlGaInTl

So? Does that mean I can't be okay with that? I don't want mics in my home like that, period, non-negotiable. Chromecast Audio gave me that.

I want trying to say that they are right, just that I suspect that's where they are going because of the business model.

Maybe someone else will fill the gap, but I think it may be a niche portion of the market

Also... I wonder if there would be a hack to disable any microphone, although I think there is already a physical switch to turn it off.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

BloodyIron

Traffic is already TLS encrypted, why would there be a security risk?

I got it on MassDrop and can't remember the exact cost, maybe between $250-$300

I'm not sure about this, maybe @@Luke can comment

I don't think so and if you could I don't think I'd recommend it due to security reasons

You can install it to a regular PC too. So if you don't want to spend money on a RPi yet and have a space PC or HDD around you can test it out first on a PC to make sure it fits your needs. 

BloodyIron

I'd sooner rip the mic out than trust a "kill switch" on a device designed to listen to everything I say/do.

I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you that it is their business model, I just really loved the Chromecast Audio. The other devices, if people want them, so be it, I'm not here to rain on their parade. Just not for me.

I want trying to say that they are right, just that I suspect that's where they are going because of the business model.

Maybe someone else will fill the gap, but I think it may be a niche portion of the market

Also... I wonder if there would be a hack to disable any microphone, although I think there is already a physical switch to turn it off.

BAlGaInTl

I'd sooner rip the mic out than trust a "kill switch" on a device designed to listen to everything I say/do.

I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you that it is their business model, I just really loved the Chromecast Audio. The other devices, if people want them, so be it, I'm not here to rain on their parade. Just not for me.

Yeah... I meant a physical hack.

Richard Branches

You know, I really was just trying to find out what other similar tech Emby can work with, that's similar to Chromecast Audio devices, so I could explore my options.

Didn't really mean to cause a big stink here, heh. :P

So yeah, what other tech dooes Emby interface with in similar ways to Chromecast Audio devices? Hmmmm.

The fact that Google is not going to make any more Chromecast Audio devices doesn't mean they are going to ditch it right away, they said they are going to continue providing support and software updates...

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

Thanks for the feedback.

You're welcome. If you happen to add the limitation, Emby app should display a message when someone tries to cast a video or a live TV stream like this: "You cannot play this video on this device. Chromecast audio is only for audio playback (music or podcasts)".

Edited by delacosta78

BloodyIron

I haven't once experienced a benefit from OTA updates for any of my Chromecasts ever. I also didn't even realise until recently they actually took a codec away, so that's lame af.

Apparently you can ROM hack them (root?) so I'm considering doing that some day maybe, to prevent them from ever kill-switching them. (ala pebble and Fitbit).

I know they are "supporting" them and such, but that's not the same as letting me buy more of them.

The fact that Google is not going to make any more Chromecast Audio devices doesn't mean they are going to ditch it right away, they said they are going to continue providing support and software updates...

jamvids

They are still supporting them, just stopping making them. The normal chromecast is now multi room enabled and works as an audio does. I haven't tried it but you can do something with bluetooth too. I really hope that they don't die though as I have 4 and will be getting a 5th.

BloodyIron

Bluetooth is lossy though, barf.

They are still supporting them, just stopping making them. The normal chromecast is now multi room enabled and works as an audio does. I haven't tried it but you can do something with bluetooth too. I really hope that they don't die though as I have 4 and will be getting a 5th.

• Like 1

jamvids

Yeah, I have some AptX headphones which are acceptable for running, but I fully agree. Absolutely love my CC audio multi room

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk