Support for video files with no video part.

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I have found a way to get full, as far as playback, resume, FF and RW, audiobook goes, support that works in Plex but not in Emby. To do this I simply change mp3 extensions to m4v (or mp4). That effectively produces a video file with no video part. Plex supports such files fully on their web app and on the Roku and they are partially supported on the various Android platforms.

Because of this I can use my Rokus in Plex to play audiobooks into my whole house audio system and listen to them without hassle while I do house work or perform other tasks throughout my house but this requires that I keep a Plex server running. (The one I use for audiobooks runs on my Shield but I would like to drop it and become a complete Emby household.)

If Emby fully and correctly supported full playback control for mp3s then I could do this with actual audiobooks but the support for m4vs without video would give a good way to accomplish what I want until such time as mp3 support gets there.

It should also be noted that I do not need audiobook support for any form of metadata as simply seeing the file titles are enough for selecting what to play and playlists work well for getting multi part audio files in m4v format played as one book.

When I asked Plex for this support (about two years ago) it actually was implemented within days so I doubt it was a big deal at all.

Currently it appears that Emby just rejects said files as "unplayable" at the server level and it is possible that if that block was removed the files would play at least on the Roku as they do play on apps that use the native Roku player.

I would like this implemented because it would have good value for me but I also think it could buy some time for Emby to get audiobooks working correctly with all the bells and whistles.

Gilgamesh_48

Didn't you already open a feature request topic about this?

I do not think so. We discussed it briefly in a thread in the Roku beta section

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66277-support-playing-an-mp3-as-video/?hl=m4v

but when I asked if I should make a request elsewhere I received no reply so I have decided to make a more formal request for that support in the actual "Feature request" forum.

Did I do wrong?

Edited by Gilgamesh_48