How can I watch the same program on 2 different clients at the same time?

AgileHumor

AgileHumor

I have a conundrum for my bedroom TV viewing which "mirroring" the video would asisst.   I need to rollover occasionlly from the TV while going to sleep. To solve this viewing problem...I would like to use a small tablet on the nightstand.  In my case, I already have a WFTT07 7" tablet that runs Android 4.0 if possible. 

The goal is to allow viewing of the MB3 video that is currently playing on my Samsung TV in the bedroom (via MBC on WMC)...to also mirror the video on the Android tablet (i would turn down the audio or mute).

Is there some form of mirroring the video stream that can keep streams in sync...without having to press play at the same time on both devices?  

If not, shouldn't we divert some funding from NASA or NSF to solve this national challenge?  (i kid)

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 1

Starkadius

Wow talk about first world problems haha ( I only jest ;))... Yeah this has been brought up quite a few times before, something I have been wanting myself. Never thought of using it how you describe but yeah I can see the usefulness in that situation.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3931-synchronized-multi-client-streaming/

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5321-feature-request-syncsimulcast/

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/2923-multi-room-options/

AgileHumor

The good news, in my situation...I don't need audio sync...which is very noticeable if the stream are in exact sync...and would appear to echo.

I think the perceived difference of watching the video off a 500ms is not as bad on the tablet if I mute the audio.

I guess the more popular use case would be" "Play from here" option in the remote to push the play position of client 1 to client 2...without client 1 needing to stop.

AgileHumor

party mode. play to all.

Would be cool to push all your music videos to all your clients at the same time for a "party mode".

chef

The good news, in my situation...I don't need audio sync...which is very noticeable if the stream are in exact sync...and would appear to echo.

I think the perceived difference of watching the video off a 500ms is not as bad on the tablet if I mute the audio.

I guess the more popular use case would be" "Play from here" option in the remote to push the play position of client 1 to client 2...without client 1 needing to stop.

Correct me if I am wrong, I believe the play from here option is possible.

My kinect app is able to do this by recording the media items current play position, stopping the movie and sending play commands to another device in another room beginning at that playback position (using voice commands). This is also how media browser calculates its resume feature.

However, I believe that having the video sync between two devices was something that Eric had mentioned to be very difficult to do. Something about syncing the streams would be very hard.