Newbie help

cybersco50

cybersco50

Hi All, I am a newbie trying to setup an EMS on my NAS. The install worked great, and also I can add libraries and see the results on my desktop PC. The bad part is, I don’t want to view this on my desktop, I want to be able to access on my mobile devices, as well as ATV set top box. After I try to install the app on ATV, it wants me to sign in with a pin code, which I did( also tried using the url choice), but neither of these seem to work. After it says pin accepted, it just gives me a screen with the spinning wheel of death! I call this the Microsoft screen, as that is what my Win 10 pc seems to always default to. ☹️ Is there anything else I can do besides wait for several hours for the app to actually show some data? I have purposely made a small library to make it easy to load remotely, but I can’t get by this spinning death screen. I am coming here as a disgruntled Plex user, so I do have some knowledge of how these things work, and my Plex app does work on ATV, just has some aspects I am not crazy about. Any hints would be appreciated.

Hi, what screen exactly are you getting the spinner on? Is this ATV as in Android TV or Apple TV?

Did you try from mobile devices as well?

cybersco50

Hi Luke, It is an Apple TV, sorry 'bout that. It initially worked fine on my desktop PC that is logged into my Synology DSM. I installed the EMS directly through the DSM interface, since I don’t know how to download from Emby site, like I do on Plex site. Anyway, it worked on the desktop PC right from the install, so I hurriedly went to the Apple TV, but after entering the PIN, it immediately went to 'spin' mode. After this, I went back to the desktop, but now it is not letting me in to the web interface either. Obviously, the phase of the blood moon is affecting it somehow. It is not letting me access my EMS via any device now, so I am unsure why it initially worked. I am not good with the correct technical jargon here, so I am probably misleading you with my statements. It looks like Emby is a no-go for me, as I can’t even tell if I am installing the correct 64 bit app, in my case. I know on Plex, you have to make sure you choose the correct app(64 vs 32 bit) app. Is there any way to find out which version you are installing from Emby's web site?

By using the Synology package manager, this handles that part of things for you. @@solabc16 can explain more.

Regarding the connection problems, are you sure that Emby Server is actively running when you try to connect?

cybersco50

Luke, Yes, the server is running when trying to connect. Last night, I installed the Windows version of EMS on my desktop. After that, my mobile device could connect to Emby, but the ATV still just spins endlessly. Obviously, the version I am installing on the NAS is either incorrect or my Hardware is defective, not sure which.

Hi.  The fact that the Apple TV is going to the Emby Connect process suggests to me that that device cannot "see" your Emby Server machine.  Have you confirmed proper connectivity to that machine from other devices on the network?  Is the Apple TV on the same network?

Can you confirm that both TCP and UDP are allowed and not blocked in any firewall on your Emby Server machine?

cybersco50

Hey Chief.  I am sure that they are both on the same network, as I have previously used Plex from same devices to ATV, and have had no issues.  I guess I am not sure how to check whether the firewall is blocking it, but did not have to do anything special on installation of Plex at that time, so not sure why this would be different.  I will try to investigate that detail and see if I can determine that this is causing the error.  Do you think ATV would be different than a tablet or other mobile device?

Thanks..... 

Onyxblue

Hi I'm new and I just signed up. I'm getting nothing on my smart tv but host: which is blank not sure how to enter the host or connect. Please help.

Happy2Play

Hi I'm new and I just signed up. I'm getting nothing on my smart tv but host: which is blank not sure how to enter the host or connect. Please help.

Welcome, did you install Emby server?

Quick-Start 

Emby is NOT a media streaming service. We provide no content. Emby is a Personal Media Server platform. You must have your own server installed and your own media (or Live TV tuner).

Hey Chief.  I am sure that they are both on the same network, as I have previously used Plex from same devices to ATV, and have had no issues.  I guess I am not sure how to check whether the firewall is blocking it, but did not have to do anything special on installation of Plex at that time, so not sure why this would be different.  I will try to investigate that detail and see if I can determine that this is causing the error.  Do you think ATV would be different than a tablet or other mobile device?

Thanks..... 

Hi.  Can we have you try our beta version of the app to see if it behaves better for you?  If so, please PM me your Apple ID and I'll get you setup for it.

Thanks!

cybersco50

Luke,  It appears to be working now.  TBH, I am not sure what step solved the successful connection here. Sometime yesterday, the mobile client started working.  After installing the beta version of the ATV app, it also works now.  I do not notice a cloud icon, but that would be for the Premiere version, correct?  I will probably upgrade to that level after trying it out for a week or so. Thanks to all for your assistance in helping me out!

No, the cloud is for linking a local user to an Emby connect user. If you want to be able to login to apps using Emby Connect, then you'd need to do this linking process.

cybersco50

OK, then I am confused even more than I thought.  I did some sort of pairing by posting a PIN code into a mobile browser, but this was where the problems started, and I got only the buffering screen described initially in my first post.  Is it possible this takes an hour or so?  Anyway, after coming back to this same point yesterday, instead of asking me to enter a pin, it showed my Emby server, and clicking there, it started showing my library. Does this make sense?