Emby Connect, change user.

kevinw
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I'm not at all sure this is the correct forum for this question but I'm using a FireTV so I guess this will have to do as I couldn't find a more appropriate one.

I'm somewhat confused about Emby Connect and am happy to accept I may have completely misunderstood what it's for but...

I have an Emby server, let's call it S1. I was trying to run the Trakt plugin against S1 to bring over the watched statuses from my Plex system and just couldn't get it to work. It ran for a few seconds and said it was complete but nothing had been imported. Then I had a light bulb moment (I think!) and guessed I needed a user for Trakt to work against so I created U1. Sure enough, the plugin then worked. When I log in as U1 using the Windows client I can see my current watched statuses.

Now I go to a FireTV and want to select a user after accessing my environment via Connect but I'm unable to switch users. I did a search of the forum and see that Emby Connect is not designed to allow you to switch users, it's attached to just one user. I can cope with that but how do I make the user it connects to U1 rather than, I assume, S1?

Thanks.

Kevin

Hi.  Use the button in the app to "Log out of Connect" and then re-login either using the normal procedure or via Connect again but, when you go to emby.media/pin enter the credentials for the proper user.

Ah OK, thanks. I set U1 up as a local user, it hadn't occurred to me I needed a separate Emby Connect account to do this.

When people visit and use our Plex system the TV they watch connects as a 'guest' user so our watch statuses aren't modified (they all use the same 'guest' account as I don't care about the watched statuses for that account). I assume to do similarly in Emby I need to set up a separate 'guest' Emby Connect account, is that correct?

Kevin

Edited by kevinw

• Solution

Yes, the other guys run everything through a single user account on their servers.  We give you complete control of your users.  You don't have to use Connect at all.  You can just setup local users and log into those from the apps if you wish.  Connect is just an easy way for remote users to connect without having to know a server address.

If you want a guest user, you can just create one.

Thanks.

• Like 1