Dolby Atmos on Nvidia Shield TV

PiERiT

I did some searching for this but came up empty.

Does the Emby app on the Nvidia Shield TV (which I assume is just the Android TV app) support Dolby Atmos? If it does, are there any settings I need to adjust to make it work? Is there a way to confirm it's properly decoding and playing the Atmos audio track?

I downloaded and played a couple demo files from Dolby's site and really couldn't hear any overhead audio. I don't know if that's because of my speakers or receiver or Shield or Emby or what and thought I would start here.

• Like 1

KaptainKrypton

I've got a support ticket in with Nvidia as Atmos functionality is messed up on all apps. Not just Emby, but Vudu and the Atmos icon disappeared on Amazon Prime Video for Jack Ryan. It'll still do passthrough for Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD but not the object based codecs but I think it's the latest firmware update to the shield messed it up (among other things).

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

It still works here on Shield for me - from within Emby / Kodi (and Prime last time I checked) - the receiver switches to Atmos mode as expected.. I'll run a test later to confirm nothing has changed in the last few days... 

Atmos is overlaid / encoded within the Dolby Digital track, so as long as you have passthrough enabled then the only way to really check is from the information display on your Amp.

One thing - if you have the Shield connected to your TV then using ARC to an amp/soundbar etc you can get issues as ARC doesn't have enough bandwidth for some audio types (eg. DTS-HD) which may cause issues. 

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not using ARC. Is passthrough an Emby setting? Or a Shield setting or a receiver setting?

I have an Onkyo TX-NR676 and there is never any Atmos logo lit up. But I don't think it has one. There is an Info button I can hit to show me the input and the output on the TV screen, but the input never includes the word Atmos on anything I'm testing.

Edited by PiERiT