How to organise filmmaker collections (multiple films w/ extras) or other collections (e.g. Tom & Jerry)

hedgehog90

hedgehog90

I have a few boxsets of a director, 4 discs, the first 3 are films and the forth is full of extras pertaining to the collection, rather than individual films.

So for example, I have a boxset of Werner Herzog films (The Werner Herzog Collection), can I make a folder in a special library called 'The Werner Herzog Collection', containing each film and a folder called 'Featurettes' or 'Extras'?

Also, I don't know what to do with something like 'Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Vol. 1'.

While they eventually ended up on TV, they started out as theatrical shorts. I don't want to put them into Emby as a TV series, but they're not strictly movies either, it deserves its own category.

And again, I have the issue that there are several extras on one of the discs that pertain to the entire collection, rather than an individual short.

Similarly, what about DVDs and bluray releases that are neither film nor TV? I'm struggling to think of a better example but let's say I'm really into workout DVDs (can't get enough of 'em!) and I want to catalog each one of... um, Jane Fonda's workout DVDs meticulously.

Is there an ideal way for Emby to handle all of these things?

Ideally I'd like to just plop these into managed folders and not have to faff about with the Emby interface.

I know there's a feature where you can put multiple items into a 'collection' but this doesn't solve my issue with collection extras.

legallink

Oddly I have some of the very same things you have indicated above. I can tell you how I've done it but that may not be helpful.

For Herzog Collection, I think you have a couple of options.  The first is to put a collection like that in it's own library, as you indcated, and not in a general "movies" folder.  That will allow some quick access, however, it will make your home screen much more cluttered.

The second is to put each film in a general movie folder individually with each film having the "extras" folder (I do this for all my films, with the extras that come on a blu ray), and then create a "collection" in the collections folder.

Someone may have a better idea.

For workout dvd's, I created a separate library of "Mixed Content" which is what I found most effective as I didn't want them to populate with anything else, especially not in the latest movies or related categories.

For Tom and Jerry, I put them in a Kids TV section, under a show called "Tom and Jerry" and created a "season" called Golden Collections Volume 1.  I just ripped each track there and populated the relevant details.  Maybe not as clean as it could be, but it worked for me! :)

Deathsquirrel

Treat the movies as movies.  Put each one in its own folder.  Add the extras to whichever one(s) you consider most appropriate.  Then add them all to a collection created in the server UI.

For the cartoons there is almost certainly a TV series defined on thetvdb.com.  Name them accordingly.