Why are recording timers firing late!?

sfatula

sfatula

I am missing the beginning of many shows, not sure why. Am attaching server log. Note fired times, 19:18 for one show, and, 20:18 for another. They did not start at 18 minutes after the hour! How can this happen? What can I do to prevent it? And if you note, early on, it says timer will fire in 330 minutes or so, and, that WOULD have been correct, however, it added 18 minutes somewhere???

Note this log is from booting to the scheduling to the recording, the machine never sleeps, drives do not spin down, etc. This is an uBuntu machine. 

embyserver.txt

Edited by sfatula

jordy

Have you added some padding times to the DVR > Default Recording Settings? - maybe that is affecting your start times. I'm wondering if you have added a "-" (minus sign) to the number in the setting, that may cause the DVR to add 18 mins to the start time instead of deducting it thus making it start later than scheduled.

Other than that, make sure your pc has the correct time...

5c32d8d5e8f82_DVRsettings.jpg

Edited by jordy

sfatula

No, I have a 1 minute early, but, if you read the log, early in the log it says this for example:

13:29:24.039 Info App: Creating recording timer for 21f5cca2c15b3709bf2e9889b4fb7daf, Shark Tank. Timer will fire in 389.599349433333 minutes

2019-01-06 

Note, at 13:29, it says 390 minutes will record Shark Tank. Do the math, that's 6 hours 30 minutes from 13:29, which = 19:59 which is correct with my one minute start early, and later we see in the log:

2019-01-06 20:18:02.565 Info App: Recording timer fired for Shark Tank.

Which is 19 minutes after it was supposed to. 

jordy

What tuner are you using? if it's an external one (HD Homerun etc) are the time & date settings synchronized between it and the pc?

sfatula

Hi there, is your system timezone configured correctly?

Of course, if it wasn't, it wouldn't be off 18 minutes right? It would be off some multiple of an hour. 

sfatula

I think the problem was I may have set the system clock wrong after a BIOS update. Looking through the system log, at some point ntp ran and adjusted the time by 18 minutes. 

It appears you only do you calculation of timers once? Perhaps an improvement would be to do that scheduling every so often as a scheduled task. After all, there can be time drift over the course of a week with some systems at least. 

So, for example:

2019-01-06 13:29:24.039 Info App: Creating recording timer for ca444dcc284bd1860c53754ecefee873, The Titan Games. Timer will fire in 16168.5993367367 minutes

That's a lot of minutes. 

Or, even better design. When emby starts, you can capture the datetime. Now if it ever drifts more than some limit, say 1 minute, you re-figure the timers. That way it's automatic and should be error free. 

Edited by sfatula
  • Like 1