Next Up in TV is backwards...

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

Next Up should show the oldest episode in the top left corner of the grid and the newest episode in the lower right corner of the grid. Currently the newest episode is shown in the top left corner. Due to this, the user is drawn to the newest episode while older episodes languish in the list.

well there's actually multiple variables used. the short of it being it does tend to favor series you like or favorite, and series you've watched recently

• Like 1

Yea I've been over the algorithm a few times. I think what we have now is a good fit for the mass audience. It does mean that if you go a month or two in between episodes of a series, then that series might fall down the list a little. but it trades that in exchange for putting what you're frequently watching up at the top. i think at this point if we're going to change it the best thing would be to expose configuration.

• Like 1

WWWestern

Disagree. "Next Up" is good as is. May be add something "Next Fav" section instead?

• Like 1

pmac

The only thing I could see improving the "Next up" feature would be swapping it's position with "Latest Episodes". At least in my opinion. I find I use "Latest Movies" fairly often, but I don't think I've ever used "Latest Episodes", I strictly use "Next Up" for my television series. I'd love to see it swap positions on the home screen with "Latest Episodes" so that I don't need to scroll all the way to the right to get to my next TV episode.

• Like 1

gcw07

The only thing I could see improving the "Next up" feature would be swapping it's position with "Latest Episodes". At least in my opinion. I find I use "Latest Movies" fairly often, but I don't think I've ever used "Latest Episodes", I strictly use "Next Up" for my television series. I'd love to see it swap positions on the home screen with "Latest Episodes" so that I don't need to scroll all the way to the right to get to my next TV episode.

Same. Latest I would prefer to not even see because sometimes it is from a season ahead of what I'm actually watching.

• Like 1

pmac

Same. Latest I would prefer to not even see because sometimes it is from a season ahead of what I'm actually watching.

I agree. But since some other users may like the latest section (one example I can think of is my girlfriend; she doesn't watch a lot of TV, so she only has 2 or 3 episodes under "Next Up", but she could possibly see something that catches her eye under "Latest Episodes" and pick up a new series to watch), so I think the best course of action would be to move "Latest Episodes" to the far right of the home screen, and possibly add an option to hide it on a per user basis.

gcw07

Yeah or just a way to eventually re-order. With the future ability to have a different home screen even within the same theme, maybe one home screen can change focus from latest to next up.

Koleckai Silvestri

I agree about Latest Episodes in MBT. Never use it and it just takes up space.