Stream from Gdrive

Jammi3D

richardvrusso

😮 there is a google drive quota? Sorry if this is redundant. Been searching all over the forum for specifics on how much space and I guess quota, one gets with premiere?

If I am a Google One subscriber do I need to use a different email address for the cloud sync feature?

Regards,

®ich

That has nothing to do with Emby but is a Google controlled thing.
image.png.6e6754a2012d2ae152cb4375bfd97014.png

So if you get 2 TB for $10 a month, let me ask you where do you store the other half of your first cloud movie? :)

That's 2 TB which is absolutely nothing. Cloud storage is crazy expensive.

There used to be a way using a business account to get unlimited storage but that has changed and no longer available.  They are also transitioning people who presently have unlimited plans as well.  What used to cost $59 a month will now be closer to $1500 a month for moderate storage.  For that money you can buy a nice NAS box and fully populate it.

If you mean Emby Premiere then you get none cloud space as it is not included into Premiere, it's a seperate product from Google not from Emby.

richardvrusso

😯💡🤦🏻‍♂️🤣 ohhh. I read the website wrong. So you get the ability to sync to the cloud not the actual storage. I'll just shutdown the PC and shut up now. 🤣

Thx neik 👍

• Haha 1

It's an option that's ideal (was) for allowing your Emby server to backup and keep your local media synced to a copy in the cloud using Google Drive.
But since Google is changing the terms of service and pricing it's not worth it any more for general storage.

Still might be useful for home videos you would never want to lose but not for your 5K movies and tv shows.

Gilgamesh_48
16 minutes ago, cayars said:

But since Google is changing the terms of service and pricing it's not worth it any more for general storage.

I tried Google drive and it seemed a very good value but, after research, I found that they could, at any time, start enforcing their TOS and limiting users to quite small storage I decided that it was both a bad idea and dangerous so I never invested myself in Google drive. 

But even if they had said that they would continue to allow virtually unlimited storage I decided it was a bad idea and just too risky. I very much prefer local storage and the price of drives dropped so much that local storage, with reasonable precautions, continues to make more sense than fighting all the hassles trying to use the web for storage.

richardvrusso
37 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's an option that's ideal (was) for allowing your Emby server to backup and keep your local media synced to a copy in the cloud using Google Drive.

Still might be useful for home videos you would never want to lose but not for your 5K movies and tv shows.

I guess I'll stick with my Drobo5N with it's 5 drives and mSATA cache. Can always expand it if I want to keep copies in diff formats. Also just added from work a "decomm" 2-bay Synology as a backup to the Drobo. Keep it all in-house. 🤷🏻‍♂️

4 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

I tried Google drive and it seemed a very good value but, after research, I found that they could, at any time, start enforcing their TOS and limiting users to quite small storage I decided that it was both a bad idea and dangerous so I never invested myself in Google drive. 

But even if they had said that they would continue to allow virtually unlimited storage I decided it was a bad idea and just too risky. I very much prefer local storage and the price of drives dropped so much that local storage, with reasonable precautions, continues to make more sense than fighting all the hassles trying to use the web for storage.

I can't tell you how many times I've been burnt by online cloud providers shutting down, changing TOS and stuff like that on the consumer side.  Even the big boys who specialize in offsite backups sort of get you. At least for me it was only going to be used as a backup. Depending on service I've lost from 150 TB to 650 TB each time which is a lot of uploading. :)

Even commercial backup services aren't always what the seem to be.  If you have a crash and need your data to reinstall are you going to wait a month to download it or pay a nice $500-$2000 fee to have it copied and priority delivered?  I always tell clients to not go that route for enterprise data but instead use a specialty firm like Iron Mountain that comes and picks up backups that you rotate.  They will delivery back your data within hours if needed.  That or have a staff member store backups at a local bank (deposit box storage).

4 hours ago, richardvrusso said:

I guess I'll stick with my Drobo5N with it's 5 drives and mSATA cache. Can always expand it if I want to keep copies in diff formats. Also just added from work a "decomm" 2-bay Synology as a backup to the Drobo. Keep it all in-house. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's good but depending on what you backup might want it off-site.  Floods, fires and the like can easily destroy your main and backup in one shot.  Never keep your backups online as electrical issues can wipe both out at the same time. Of course if it's just media it can be replace with same or different content and would be the last thing to worry about with a fire.  But other personal/financial records that are much smaller should be kept off-site.

Gilgamesh_48
8 hours ago, cayars said:

That's good but depending on what you backup might want it off-site.  Floods, fires and the like can easily destroy your main and backup in one shot.  Never keep your backups online as electrical issues can wipe both out at the same time. Of course if it's just media it can be replace with same or different content and would be the last thing to worry about with a fire.  But other personal/financial records that are much smaller should be kept off-site.

It takes 5-6 6tb drives for a full backup of all my media and other personal data that would be hard to replace. I used to store those drives off site in a safe deposit box at a local bank. This summer the bank increased the fees for box rental so I reexamined my backup methodology and decided to just store the drives locally. I use a fireproof safe. I had a decent one that was adequate when it only served as a staging backup. That is I used the safe as an on site rotation backup. That is I would make backups and place them in the safe and rotate the safe drives and the bank drives monthly. It was extremely safe (but I did not use an armored service to transport drives.)

After investigation I found that my current safe was prone to fail at high temps in a corrosive atmosphere like is produce when some older construction materials burn. Since my home is of quite old construction and contains some of the questionable materials I decided that my safe needed an upgrade if it was to be the only backup storage. So I bought a new safe that would withstand just about anything that could happen short of thermonuclear war or a direct meteoric impact. (If any of those happen then watching media would be way down on my "importance" list.)

I now just use the local storage for my backups and I feel quite secure. In just about 3 more months my savings from the bank fees and the sale of my old safe (I did inform the buyer of the slight failure risk) will offset the purchase price.

It did take some effort to overcome my OCD and accept the fact that I could not reasonably reduce my risk to zero but I have to accept the higher risk can be controlled only to a limited level.

Backups are important even if virtually all the media can be reinstalled pretty easily there is always the time and effort to be considered. I feel fairly safe now and I can deal with the mild anxiety I feel when my safe is open and exposed to the world.

I also store all my DVDs in the safe.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Another thing you can do if you have family or trusted friends near by is use USB drives.  You can encrypt the drive or your backups and have them store it for you which gets you free off-site storage that no one can view. If you used something like a WD Home Cloud you could even have them plug it into their router in an emergency and you would be able to access it remotely (pre-configured) or any other USB3 drive plugged into it.  You can do the same by reconfiguring an older home router you don't use anymore making it a remotely on-demand server giving access to the USB ports. It would be pretty easy to even require a wire guard tunnel to access it.

Lots of creative things ways to handle backups but that assumes you have them. :)

Unfortunately, I know from helping so many people remotely that probably only about 5-10% have any kind of backup of the Emby server setup itself, forgetting about media. :(

Gilgamesh_48
38 minutes ago, cayars said:

Lots of creative things ways to handle backups but that assumes you have them. :)

Unfortunately, I know from helping so many people remotely that probably only about 5-10% have any kind of backup of the Emby server setup itself, forgetting about media.

I do not backup my server itself but I store all metadata with my media and that does get backed up so in the unlikely event of a complete server failure most pf my important server setting get  backed up and reinstalling will be faster and easier should I need it. It ain't perfect but, for me, it is plenty good enough.

richardvrusso

Uww good idea! I have to check i'm storing the metadata with the media... Off the top of your head is that a library setting?

Second comment/question... am i recalling correct if I wanted to manually backup the emby server config, its just some file(s) and/or folder(s)?

...sorry i realized this is getting off topic for the thread title...

Ah found it! Nevermind disregard carry on 😁

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-configuration-backup

Edited by richardvrusso

Yep, Server Configuration Backup plugin is the ideal method or manually coping those select folders.
Regardless, I'd also suggest once a month shutting down Emby and grabbing a copy of the data folder itself.

That way you always have your databases with at most 30 days of new files to scan in.

@richardvrusso, check each and every library with Advanced turn on (top right).  You can write NFO files and save graphics to the media folders.  That way everything is stored together in case you ever have to reload or want to re-install on a new computer or something.

• Like 1