Stream from Gdrive

Jammi3D

Jammi3D

Hi,

Apologies if this sounds stupid,

I share my server with my brother and was wondering if I store his files on gdrive would it still require my upload connection for playback? or would the connection be just between him and google?

Thanks

atomicmoon

If your sync a file to Google Drive they will be able to stream that version, relieving your upload bandwidth. You'll still need to upload it from the server to Google Drive in some fashion though so you will have to upload, but you can change the quality of the version when setting up the sync, so you can lower the quality to save.

Jammi3D

Hi Luke,

My brother is using a Nvidia Shield TV but he has no option to choose the files to play from my gdrive? (I think this may be user error) ... The files are still streamed off my home connection.

he has the option on his phone which is also Android.

Are you able to advise on how to do this ... if not will probably be easier for him to fetch the Shield TV to me to test.

Here is a pic he sent me

IMG-20190108-194941.jpg

Hi, the multi-version selection hasn't been added to the android tv app yet,  but it will be in the next release of the app. Thanks !

Hi, the multi-version selection hasn't been added to the android tv app yet,  but it will be in the next release of the app. Thanks !

cheers mate

• 2 weeks later...
Detail4687

I am not seeing the option to play from Google Drive.

This is android "pie" on Pixel 

Yes, the movie is synced to Google Drive.

5c450841b857b_Screenshot_20190120152613.

5c450960b645f_Screenshot20190120at154839

Hi, that's not the way it works. You just play as normal and it will use the Google drive version whenever possible.

Detail4687

Hi, that's not the way it works. You just play as normal and it will use the Google drive version whenever possible.

so there is no way for force a user to play from GD instead of my server?

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys, I just registered.

I'm thinking about to switch from Plex to Emby if it works here how I want it.

Plex just does a lot of things wrong..

If I register here I want to buy the Premium Package.

With the Premium Packages are these functions available?

1.) streaming from GDrive to Users?

2.) streaming to more then my device is also possible? (my brothers device etc?)

3.) to how many users can I stream (via GDrive) which are not in my local network?

4.) Is it possible to have Movies just in the Cloud and NOT on my NAS and still streaming them? (forcing everyone to use the Cloud?)

5.) Which other limitations are there?

6.) when I have the same movie 3 Times (ripped down with Handbreak) does Emby recognice it as the same movie where I can switch Video and Audio Stream while streaming it?

7.) is there anything else I have to know about?

8.) My brother lifes some KM (Miles) away from me, when I buy this Emby Premiere does he also be able to use it?

9.) when he uses it on his Phone and at his Laptop, but buys a new Laptop, does this waste one Licence or not??

Regards M

Edited by The_H

• 3 months later...

@@Luke, I'm not sure if I'm doing this incorrectly or not, but I've uploaded a single episode to GD to test with and in the Emby Android app I get two options to play from: "Emby" and "Star Trek Discovery - S02E08 - If Memory Serves". I'm assuming the second one is the GD version, as the file on GD is "Star Trek Discovery - S02E08 - If Memory Serves.MP4".

My problem is that regardless of which version I pick, I get nearly constant buffering, which is understandable for when I'm trying to stream from my home server since my upload speeds are terrible, but it should play smoothly from Google Drive, since when I play the file directly from GD (not through Emby) it plays flawlessly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'd like to be able to upload a selection of media to watch when I'm travelling or at a friend's house, etc.

Edit: here is a screenshot of the stats while playing (what I think is) the Google Drive version of the file.

https://i.imgur.com/W7GfLJJ.jpg

Edit 2: I forgot I manually lowered the bitrate for that screenshot (Hence the transcoding), here is a screenshot with it set to Auto:

https://i.imgur.com/Rnfs4vEr.jpg

Edited by pmac

@@Luke, I'm not sure if I'm doing this incorrectly or not, but I've uploaded a single episode to GD to test with and in the Emby Android app I get two options to play from: "Emby" and "Star Trek Discovery - S02E08 - If Memory Serves". I'm assuming the second one is the GD version, as the file on GD is "Star Trek Discovery - S02E08 - If Memory Serves.MP4".

My problem is that regardless of which version I pick, I get nearly constant buffering, which is understandable for when I'm trying to stream from my home server since my upload speeds are terrible, but it should play smoothly from Google Drive, since when I play the file directly from GD (not through Emby) it plays flawlessly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'd like to be able to upload a selection of media to watch when I'm travelling or at a friend's house, etc.

Edit: here is a screenshot of the stats while playing (what I think is) the Google Drive version of the file.

https://i.imgur.com/W7GfLJJ.jpg

If you are using a store app, then the file will be sent through your server.  What app are you doing this with? 

If you are using a store app, then the file will be sent through your server.  What app are you doing this with?

Emby for Android Mobile 3.0.82

Emby for Android Mobile 3.0.82

Right, that is going to stream it through your server (for app store policy reasons).

The web app should play it directly from the location.

Right, that is going to stream it through your server (for app store policy reasons).

The web app should play it directly from the location.

Okay thanks, that's good to know. So if I understand correctly, while using the store app, it doesn't really matter which version I choose, it has to pass through my server first?

Also, are there plans to be able set a default streaming source in the future? It would be nice to be able to set per device settings, so I could automatically stream from GD from certain devices for example.

The reason we go through the server is for app store policy reasons so I don't see that changing in the future with any of our apps delivered through someone else's store.

The reason we go through the server is for app store policy reasons so I don't see that changing in the future with any of our apps delivered through someone else's store.

Sorry, I should have clarified; with the web app, are there plans to be able to set a default source? Also, I just did some testing and still seem to be getting a lot of buffering from both video sources (using the web app). Out of the two options I listed in my first post, which would be the Google Drive version?

• 1 year later...

If I have my data on Gdrive and link it to Emby Plugin. Can I set Emby to save the metadata and images in the folder on the Gdrive when EMBY scan Data?

1 hour ago, D1sk said:

If I have my data on Gdrive and link it to Emby Plugin. Can I set Emby to save the metadata and images in the folder on the Gdrive when EMBY scan Data?

You can, but I would not advise it since it will kill your performance fetching images from Google as well as use up your GD quota faster.

With that said, I'm not a fan of using Google Drive for Emby Storage.