Library Spanning multiple PC's

luke102280
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

luke102280

Currently I've reached my storage limits and thought it would be as simple as creating a new share on another of my file server machines and re-add it back to the library, for three days now I've banged my head against my keyboard, I cannot add or see them from the web gui but I can access them from the windows explorer of any machine in the house.

I've searched and nothing seems to answer having multiple library locations yet it appears it should be working.

Thoughts and Ideas?

win7 ultimate on all the machines in the house.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

1) Make sure you're using UNC shares. There is a tutorial on the site here: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/703-how-to-make-unc-folder-shares/. You don't need to use a $ at the end, All that does is hide the share from general network browsing. It has no effect on the actual share or who can access it.

2) If you use a user id to login with, it needs to be created on the other machines with the EXACT same username and password as the server machine. I suggest just using "Everybody" unless you really need to control your media that way.

3) If you use Everyone, you need to turn off password access. Follow this guide here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/185429-password-protected-sharing-turn-off-windows-7-a.html

4) Always access the drives via their UNC names. Do not use mapped drives. UNC is \\machinename\sharename\path.

Finally, make sure you can browse to that location using Windows Explorer. Don't use Homegroup, use the Network section.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 2

• Solution
FrostByte

What error are you getting when you try to add the library on the other computer?  

By chance are you running mediabrowser as a service?  If so, then you need to start the service with an account that has access to the server.  The default system account can't access the other server which is what mediabrowser uses for access

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/804-unable-to-access-media-when-running-server-as-a-service/

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 3

Koleckai Silvestri

Should note that if the other machines go to sleep, you'll lose contact with them. They will need to be woken up.

• Like 1

luke102280

WL no issues 1-4 and nothing ever sleeps here 4 bartenders keep an odd schedule 

Frosty MBS runs as a service for me I'll take a look and let you know what comes of it.

Thank you both!!

• Like 1