How do I stop Emby from trying to Transcode 4K version for remote usage ?

rbjtech

rbjtech

Hi,

I have multi-versions of the same mkv setup in Emby because I thought the Emby selected the most appropriate to Transcode if the client was set to Auto (or forced)?

I've recently delved into 4K and in my recent testing (on the latest beta) the Android client will attempt to play whatever is selected in the client - so if I press play on the 2160p version, the server will (max itself) Transcoding that, if I select the 1080p  version, then it will also Transcode (due to bandwidth limitations - fine) that but if I select the 'Streaming' version then it will play direct (as it should and how I want it to work).

So my question - is there any way to hide the version options in the Android client and have emby use the correct streaming version based on bandwidth ?    I pretty sure this has previous worked well - which is the key reason I have multiple versions available.

Thanks.

rbjtech

Hi - Attached is a new embyserver.txt plus the two transcode logs after doing the following :-

Emby is set to a 4Mb/sec stream limit.

Android Client is to to Auto on a 4G network

1. Play mkv 2160p version - it transcodes and plays fine with a 4Mb/sec limit - fine.

2. Play mkv 1080p version - it transcodes and plays fine with a 4Mb/sec limit - fine.

3. Play mkv 720p version - it direct plays - great.

So technically, emby is doing everything I ask of it - but my question is why has emby not recognised that there is no need to transcode the 2160p and 1080p versions when a version under the 4Mb/sec bitrate is already available and thus it should pick that and direct stream rather than transcode ?

Thanks for any assistance.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-ff1c556e-8eac-4172-bc1a-3a45ebbb6bc0_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-1b9ab0a4-6ca3-4c13-b040-3c07bd510c93_1.txt

That's very strange. I can see what you're saying based on the logs but i just went through setting up this exact scenario and each time the app chose a version that could direct play. I will have to keep digging for the answer. thanks.

• Like 1

rbjtech

ok well thanks for taking the time to investigate Luke.  I'm going to do some more digging myself - I've also just noticed that the 'multi-version' blue circle icon on the left of the poster icon in the web view is no longer there - but multi-versions are being recognised fine in the selection and details pages... Hmmm  

I've also just noticed that the 'multi-version' blue circle icon on the left of the poster icon in the web view is no longer there 

That was just a design choice and is not related.

• 2 months later...
BAlGaInTl

Sorry to dredge up an older topic, but I was just about to have this same question.

So in theory Emby should pick the correct version automatically? Say... there's a file that can't be played natively by a Roku, but another one that can?