Dual P2000 vs Single P4000

smokey7722

smokey7722

Anyone have any direct experience with P2000's and P4000's to be able to give an educated opinion as to which direction to go?  I'm working on a new ESX build which will have one or two GPU's in it for Emby use and trying to decide which direction I should go in.  From what I am seeing, a single P4000 isn't exactly twice the performance of a P2000 so in theory dual P2000's should outperform a single P4000 (once Emby supports multiple w/load balancing) but we all know theories are just that and real life is probably the opposite.

Other specs of the system will most likely be a single Xeon Silver 4114 w/128GB RAM (Emby getting a good chunk) and a 10G network connecting to the storage array.

Edited by smokey7722

• 1 month later...

No personal experience, but I was looking for a different combo, i.e., a K2200 for H264 encoding and P2000 for H265 encoding, since they are both quite sufficient for dedicated tasks. Seems like nobody has tested multiple GPU with Emby to date - at least my searches come up empty. 

MSattler

Anyone have any direct experience with P2000's and P4000's to be able to give an educated opinion as to which direction to go?  I'm working on a new ESX build which will have one or two GPU's in it for Emby use and trying to decide which direction I should go in.  From what I am seeing, a single P4000 isn't exactly twice the performance of a P2000 so in theory dual P2000's should outperform a single P4000 (once Emby supports multiple w/load balancing) but we all know theories are just that and real life is probably the opposite.

Other specs of the system will most likely be a single Xeon Silver 4114 w/128GB RAM (Emby getting a good chunk) and a 10G network connecting to the storage array.

Dear God,  what kind of usage are you trying to support?

I'm running a Dell r720 with Dual Xeons.  My Plex VM has 24 vcpu's and 50GB of memory.  46GB of memory is used for /dev/shm where I point to for all my transcoding.

My P2000 is passed through to the VM as well.  

I have zero issues with my friends and family using this.  For shits and giggles I went ahead and had Emby play back 5 UHD Full Quality rips transcode to 1080p and my overall system load in the VM was 6.  So essentially out of 24 vcpu's I was fully utilizing 6.  So about 25% CPU utilization overall, and that is simply just for the audio transcoding for the most part.

I just cannot imagine for the life of me running a P4000 or Dual P2000's.  The only reason I would buy another P2000 is if I wanted to buy another R720, and be able to live migrate the VM from one physical host to another.  Short of that I cannot see myself needing it.

Max concurrent streams has been 12 streams, max transcodes 10, and zero issues.

If I were you, I'd look at going dual processor before going Dual P2000.   You are still going to need CPU for transcoding audio when needed.   Most of the load I saw in my test on the CPU's was audio transcoding.

Just my 2 cents, it's not worth much these days =)