Just for Interest: Internet access Emby App

IceBoosteR
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

IceBoosteR

Hi everyone,

I am interested what kind of data the Emby app (for XBOX or Samsung TV for example) is sending out outside of my home network when I am browsing through my library.

Would be best if no data is sent outside, but I guess when I want to watch a traler the filmtitel is sending out to Youtube and the first result is played. But that should be the only thing sending out.

This is just for my knowledge as I am interested in these things but I am to lazy to run wireshark xD

You should be more worried about what Microsoft or Samsung are collecting about your viewing habits. They are tracking for sure. Most devices themselves send back metrics about usage to the manufacturer. What data is contained within these metrics is anyones guess.

see below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/smarter-living/how-to-stop-your-smart-tv-from-tracking-what-you-watch.html

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

IceBoosteR

You should be more worried about what Microsoft or Samsung are collecting about your viewing habits. They are tracking for sure. Most devices themselves send back metrics about usage to the manufacturer. What data is contained within these metrics is anyones guess.

see below:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/23/smarter-living/how-to-stop-your-smart-tv-from-tracking-what-you-watch.html

I am aware that these companies collect data for whatever purpose ...

But I am unsure if they are able to collect data from the emby app that I am watching documentations from BBC about elephants.

Samsung TV has no internet access at all.

Nevertheless thank for the answer. This is one reason more to love Emby! Thanks for that great piece of software.

Edit: Automatic Content Recognition is scary :o

Edited by IceBoosteR

• Solution

We don't collect any data about your library or viewing.  However, Softworkz is correct that many of the app stores and devices may.

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

Hi everyone,

I am interested what kind of data the Emby app (for XBOX or Samsung TV for example) is sending out outside of my home network when I am browsing through my library.

Would be best if no data is sent outside, but I guess when I want to watch a traler the filmtitel is sending out to Youtube and the first result is played. But that should be the only thing sending out.

This is just for my knowledge as I am interested in these things but I am to lazy to run wireshark xD

If you have a premium license, it does have to reach out to Emby to validate the license and devices using it. Other than that, that don't collect anything that I'm aware.

The do provide an easy way to connect to your home servers "if" you want to use it. I don't and have set everything up manually. It's one of the reasons that I like and continue to use the software.

• Like 1