Deinterlacing DVD Rips

tomnjerry74
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

tomnjerry74

Hello,

I have many DVDs that are interlaced but cannot find any options or information on enabling de-interlacing within the server dashboard. Is there a way for me to de-interlace this content? If not, will this feature be addressed?

Thanks!

Hi.  What are you trying to play with?

Most displays or players will de-interlace these days.

tomnjerry74

Hi.  What are you trying to play with?

Most displays or players will de-interlace these days.

Firefox, Emby Theater for Windows, Xbox One S, Roku, and iPhone are all playing the content interlaced

tomnjerry74
On 1/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, ebr said:

What is the format of these items?

They are all raw .mkv rips from makemkv. (Ripped from North American DVDs)

Edited by tomnjerry74

Generally speaking we don't force server transcoding due to interlaced content, so that means the video player will need to be able to deinterlace.

Can we look at an example? Thanks.

tomnjerry74

Generally speaking we don't force server transcoding due to interlaced content, so that means the video player will need to be able to deinterlace.

Can we look at an example? Thanks.

So does this mean none of the players being used (on the Xbox, iPhone, Windows Emby Theater, etc) can deinterlace? I'm not able to access any settings for them anyway, nor do I know what video player is being used because it's all through the Emby apps.

And sure, I'd love to post an example. Would you like a screenshot of the content itself or something else?

Thank you for your help!

tomnjerry74

Why can't you access the settings for the apps?

It seems I'm not really understanding this. On all of my devices I am using the emby apps to play the content; There are no de-interlacing options in any of the emby apps. What settings should I even be looking at then?

ryandavidg

Guessing these are NTSC DVDs, have had some fun and games with those myself in the past, with their telecining. Some are encoded with progressive video but have flags for the dvd player to output interlaced, some are encoded as "hard telecine" 29.97fps. In the end I used Staxrip and either IVTC or QTGMC (depending on the telecine or interlace) to sort it out once and for all. Can take a while, the best deinterlacing methods are quite processor intensive.

Edited by ryandavidg
  • Like 1

tomnjerry74

Guessing these are NTSC DVDs, have had some fun and games with those myself in the past, with their telecining. Some are encoded with progressive video but have flags for the dvd player to output interlaced, some are encoded as "hard telecine" 29.97fps. In the end I used Staxrip and either IVTC or QTGMC (depending on the telecine or interlace) to sort it out once and for all. Can take a while, the best deinterlacing methods are quite processor intensive.

Thanks for the information. This might be what I will end up doing (or handbrake). Is it easy to batch with Staxrip?

• Solution

I would suggest re-evaluating this with the next release as our support for hardware transcoding will be improved and that may help with this. If you're still not satisfied, you might be interested in checking out our media convert feature:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-423-emby-server-34-released/

Thanks.

• Like 1

ryandavidg

Thanks for the information. This might be what I will end up doing (or handbrake). Is it easy to batch with Staxrip?

Yep, and one can do just about anything with it. Some people are put off by all the options and the interface when they first start it, but it is the best at what it does (imo) and once one has done one encode with it and set up a profile or two it's easy to just tweak from then on. If you give it a try, I'd suggest using 1.7.0.6 which is the last version done by the original dev, someone else has picked it up and there is now a Staxrip 2 but that's not completely stable yet and 1.7.0.6 does everything you need anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
thesnappysneezer

Are there any updates about making Emby play these better? The same programs have lines all through them on Emby but they look relatively perfect on Plex, and my PC when played with VLC and other players. I would rather use Emby but they just look ugly here. Please fix whatever causes this here.

Are there any updates about making Emby play these better? The same programs have lines all through them on Emby but they look relatively perfect on Plex, and my PC when played with VLC and other players. I would rather use Emby but they just look ugly here. Please fix whatever causes this here.

Hi there @@thesnappysneezer, can you please go over an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

maegibbons

So give us a copy of the episode.

Details of which app you are using to play it.

And the server and ffmpeg logs at the time of playing it.

Generally de-interlacing should not be aproblem for emby so something strange is happening.

The devs need this detail to reproduce and fix the issue.

Not just pictures.

Krs

Mark