Mapping Channels

TroyBennett

TroyBennett

I'm trying to swap two channels (at first)  and I think I'm doing it right...but It doesn't appear correctly when I test it out

so, at first, I'm trying to change channel 2 with channel 654 (bot are CBS Local, one SD, one HD)

I go into livetv in the emby server, click on the three dots and choose map channels

once there, I click on the pencil icon (for channel 2) and I get a list of channels

I scroll down and choose 654 (the HD version) and it appears in the dialog box that the channel 2 was

successfuly mapped to 654, I then do the same for channel 654 (mapping it to channel 2)

the guide appears to be refreshing so I wait unitl that stops

then I go into Emby web and choose live tv and guide

there, it still says the same Channel as before the change, I click on it and it is still the SD Verion

I go to the HD channel 654 and it is still the HD channel

I go back into the server setting and go back into map channels

that hasn't changed meaning it still shows that it is mapped channel 2 to channel 654, and channel 654 is still mapped to channel 2

Do i need to do anything else to make this work?

Server: Qnap 3.6.0.82 beta

Emby app: Qnap 3.6.0.82 beta

Guide: Emby Guide Data

Tuner: HDHomerun Prime

I also had shedulesDirect installled and it didn't work there either

so I thought, might as well change to Emby Guide Data now, not a lot of time left

So, I'm not sure that I'm doing it correctly first off,

I'm using beta software which can very well may not work due to something being inadvertently broken

and I'm using Guide Data which is new, however I did use SchedulesDirect first with the same results

Thanks,

Troy Bennett

Bevanpfc

Hi, sorry I can’t help you myself but you might have better luck asking this question in the emby beta forum as this feature is still in beta.

TroyBennett

by viewing the channels.

I can tell the video size is smaller in SD on the emby app, but it is harder to tell than in Emby Theatre

On Emby theater it is very obvious.  SD shows up with black bars on top,bottom,left and right.

HD Shows up full screen

perhaps I should try mapping a different station, rather than a HD and SD of the same station first, then go from there...just to be sure...

This has nothing to do with playback. The mapping tool only affects the guide data that you see.

TroyBennett

OK, so on CBS (Channel 2) they were showing FBI and on ABC (Channel 4) they were showing Blackish

I mapped CBS SD to ABC SD and vice-a-versa

if sort of worked....the end result was it didn't move the stations (CBS,ABC) at all, but it did move the program they were playing

so CBS (Still shows as channel 2) now shows it is playing Blackish...but this is ABC now

and ABC (Still shows as channel 4) shows it is playing FBI (CBS)

so the programs moved but the channel names did not move....

Next I tried changing a HD channel (ABC) to an SD Channel (CBS)

Everything seemed the same thing except when i tuned into the station, I realized no mappings happened at all except in the guide.

so CBS (Channel 2) was still showing FBI even though the guide claimed it was showing Blackish (From ABC HD)

and ABC was still showing the HD version of Blackish even though it claimed it was showing FBI (from CBS)

TroyBennett

This has nothing to do with playback. The mapping tool only affects the guide data that you see.

Yes but the mappings claims the channels were correct...so how do you tell if the channels are correct???

you tune into the channel and see if it has done what the mappings claims it has done...

and in that particular case it was wrong...the SD channel was still an SD Channel

the HD Channel was sitll an HD channel

now if you know a better way that a non-profressional non-programmer can tell the difference I'd be glad to hear you out on that, and give it a try

but you don't offer anything else for me to try

Edited by TroyBennett

Currently the only way to tell the difference is to look at the guide data. We plan to improve our channel management in a future update to make this easier. Thanks.

kanipek

I'm trying to swap two channels (at first)  and I think I'm doing it right...but It doesn't appear correctly when I test it out

so, at first, I'm trying to change channel 2 with channel 654 (bot are CBS Local, one SD, one HD)

I go into livetv in the emby server, click on the three dots and choose map channels

once there, I click on the pencil icon (for channel 2) and I get a list of channels

I scroll down and choose 654 (the HD version) and it appears in the dialog box that the channel 2 was

successfuly mapped to 654, I then do the same for channel 654 (mapping it to channel 2)

the guide appears to be refreshing so I wait unitl that stops

then I go into Emby web and choose live tv and guide

there, it still says the same Channel as before the change, I click on it and it is still the SD Verion

I go to the HD channel 654 and it is still the HD channel

I go back into the server setting and go back into map channels

that hasn't changed meaning it still shows that it is mapped channel 2 to channel 654, and channel 654 is still mapped to channel 2

Do i need to do anything else to make this work?

Server: Qnap 3.6.0.82 beta

Emby app: Qnap 3.6.0.82 beta

Guide: Emby Guide Data

Tuner: HDHomerun Prime

I also had shedulesDirect installled and it didn't work there either

so I thought, might as well change to Emby Guide Data now, not a lot of time left

So, I'm not sure that I'm doing it correctly first off,

I'm using beta software which can very well may not work due to something being inadvertently broken

and I'm using Guide Data which is new, however I did use SchedulesDirect first with the same results

Thanks,

Troy Bennett

I am confused.

Are you trying to move channels or guide data?

The channel mapping feature as it currently exists is only for mapping of EPG data to a particular channel.

The only method I currently know of using just Emby capabilities for "moving" channels in the guide is to Edit Metadata for a channel and add a number to "sort title". Then sort the guide by channel number. In order for this to work you will need to do this for each channel until the last one you want to "move".

For example in my case - My first 9 channels contain quite a few stations that also broadcast the digital sub channel programming (MeTV, COZI etc) and I wanted those channels to be in the same order in Emby as they do on a TV so I added a sort title to every channel and sub channel up but not including 10.1.

This doesn't change the channel number, just "moves" it in the EPG -So my channel 116.1 appears in the 7.4 position in the EPG.

I don't know if that helps you out or not, hopefully it does. So if you do this for you channel 2 and 654 it may do what you are trying to accomplish.

TroyBennett

I don't need to move the channel, CBS channel 2 can still be CBS channel 2....but I want CBS Channel 2 to display 654 CBS HD

the only reason I was interest in that was because it takes emby a long time to process all the data in the guide, and I don't like to wait

so I thought I would move the most watched channels, which start at about 630 to the front of the guide...and all the sd channels which is

difficult for me to watch on my HD Screen because of the black bars all he way around the picture, I wanted to move those to the back...

so I was trying to keep CBS which is channel 2 but I wanted it to be the HD version instead of the SD Version

So that is what I was trying to do in the beginning and it wasn't working....the SD version of CBS stayed  the SD verision on channel two

even though the channel mappings claimed it was the HD Version

so then I thought I would try mapping a different station to channel two, mostly because of Lukes question,...so I chose channel 4, abc, and that mapping worked

in that it moved the contents of ABC to  channel 2, cbs...the channel was still called CBS, but displayed the contents of channel 4 (ABC)

but no matter how i tried I couldn't move the contents of an HD channel to an SD Channel, which is what I'm after

Edited by TroyBennett

kanipek

I don't need to move the channel, CBS channel 2 can still be CBS channel 2....but I want CBS Channel 2 to display 654 CBS HD

the only reason I was interest in that was because it takes emby a long time to process all the data in the guide, and I don't like to wait

so I thought I would move the most watched channels, which start at about 630 to the front of the guide...and all the sd channels which is

difficult for me to watch on my HD Screen because of the black bars all he way around the picture, I wanted to move those to the back...

so I was trying to keep CBS which is channel 2 but I wanted it to be the HD version instead of the SD Version

So that is what I was trying to do in the beginning and it wasn't working....the SD version of CBS stayed  the SD verision on channel two

even though the channel mappings claimed it was the HD Version

so then I thought I would try mapping a different station to channel two, mostly because of Lukes question,...so I chose channel 4, abc, and that mapping worked

in that it moved the contents of ABC to  channel 2, cbs...the channel was still called CBS, but displayed the contents of channel 4 (ABC)

but no matter how i tried I couldn't move the contents of an HD channel to an SD Channel, which is what I'm after

As you are discovering you can move the data between channels - But what you are describing as wanting to do can't be accomplished with channel mapping, which again is mapping the EPG data to physical tuner channels(or IPTV channels).

For the moment what I described to you in my post earlier is the only "solution" that will do what you are looking for.

If the tuners are some version of HDHomeRun(other manufacturer's might also be able to do this) you can simply disable all the SD channels OR favorite all the HD channels and tell Emby to place all the Favorited channels at the beginning.

@@Luke has recently mentioned here on the forums that more robust channel management will be the next thing to be implemented after the release of v3.6 - So you could also pause a bit for this to start rolling out - in the Beta server.