Best NAS Device For emby

indyjones

indyjones

Hi all,

Happy new year to you all.

I am looking for a new NAS device for my parents, and while emby supports a number of different devices (it's currently running on their Asustor), I thought I would post here to enquire what was the best NAS brand purely to run emby.

It is not being used for recording any live TV only sending video to a couple of Roku devices, and streaming audio via DLNA to a number of devices.

It does not really need to be able to transcode multiple streams, however I do want it to be responsive (the Asustor locks up on chapter image extraction for example).

Thank you.

Edited by indyjones

vdatanet

Thanks, I will look into the WD ones. I guess an Intel chipset is preferred?

I prefer Intel. I have tested different ARM models and the power is insufficient. Maybe, this could go well:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-446-emby-server-now-available-for-qnap-arm64-models/

I have heard very well about its processor, but I have not tested it.

indyjones

The WD PR2100 does look like a good option thank you, and it's a lot faster than the old Asustor cpu wise. Does emby support hardware transcoding on this device please?

vdatanet

The WD PR2100 does look like a good option thank you, and it's a lot faster than the old Asustor cpu wise. Does emby support hardware transcoding on this device please?

Yes, beta version has better support for hardware transcoding.