Library item by tags

GreyBeard

GreyBeard

Is it possible to have a library item based on tags? I'm trying to figure out the best way to sort my media but have issues where it should show in multiple libraries. For example if I want home screen library items of Disney Movies, Kids Movies, and Animated Movies, Toy Story would fit in all three. Short of having three copies, I cant see how to do this.

Configure each library with the folders that have those movies. You can have the same folder in multiple libraries.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

GreyBeard

Configure each library with the folders that have those movies. You can have the same folder in multiple libraries.

This would work if all the Animated movies were also Disney movies. With a library of almost 4000 movies, adding individual folders to each library wold be a nightmare. Otherwise I'd have to have a copy of that movie in two folders.

However, I may have come upon a solution. My server is on a windows 10 machine and using mklink with the /J option makes a permanent folder link (they call it a junction) to where the movie folder really is as well as all the files within it. So I just have to create a folder for each category and create the corresponding links in each folder. A little scripting and right click magic should make it easier. Once the current movies are done, adding new movies will come much quicker.

Example:

mklink /J "H:\Media\Movies\Animated Movies" "S:\Media Storage\Movies\Alice In Wonderland (1951)"

creates a link in the Animated Movies folder. I add that folder to the Animated Movies library and emby finds and can play the movie. I can then create another link to H:\Media\Movies\Disney Movies to the same folder on S: and add it to the Disney Library and emby will find and play it as well yet the drive space used in both folders on the H drive is basically zero.

I can't see how that's any easier but if it works for you that's what matters.

No it's not currently possible, but we plan to have a smart views/playlists feature in the future, and that would be able to accommodate this. Thanks.

GreyBeard

I can't see how that's any easier but if it works for you that's what matters.

It's more a matter of space and file management I think. If I have 8TB of movies and all of them fit an average of 2 categories, that just doubled my storage. Then there are those that may fit more three or more. It's probably not easy, and I'm probably making it harder than it seems to just click movies then click Genres but then again I'm currently sitting at home dealing with colon cancer and chemo so I've got plenty of boredom time to overthink things...

No. You don't need to copy the movies rather move them to folders. Basically the way you propose but w/o hardlinks.

Any which way you need to have the folders to populate your libraries.

Example would be having folders: movies, Disney, Disney Animated, Animated.

Movie Library would have all the folders, Disney would have Disney and Disney Animated, etc.

Deathsquirrel

You can use the junction points as you are now or just switch to doing this with collections instead of libraries.  That would be my pick.